Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

husband wants to join the french foregin legion

Options
  • 06-12-2012 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

my husband is 46 & has said he wants to try & join the french foregin legion he know about the cut off age but he's still going to try ,he's fit strong & just wants to do it he know's what to expect ,he's quite happy to leave us for 5yrs , im supportive but for 5yrs for him to be a way & me at home with 4 children ,i just dont know what to do or say to him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I assume he speaks French to a high standard....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

cassiej wrote: »
    my husband is 46 & has said he wants to try & join the french foregin legion he know about the cut off age but he's still going to try ,he's fit strong & just wants to do it he know's what to expect ,he's quite happy to leave us for 5yrs , im supportive but for 5yrs for him to be a way & me at home with 4 children ,i just dont know what to do or say to him

Tell him to stop being a childish cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cassiej

we sat down & spoke about it ,i don't mind him going but i'm wondering about the affect it would have on the kids

we sat down & spoke about it ,i don't mind him going but i'm wondering about the affect it would have on the kids

You don't mind your husband leaving for 5 years? I've not seen my other half in 12 days and its beginning to seriously suck. Won't see her for another month minimum and Im wondering how I will manage.

There is obviously underlying issues if a 5 year leave of absence from a marriage is ok.

I don't know what advice you are looking for. The French foreign legion is tough. Really tough. Its hard to compare levels of toughness, but think Royal Marines through French, hence my comment regarding his level of french.

Does he have previous military experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cassiej

he is one tough cookie smart ,he never joined the army but he wishes he had & i'm one tough woman i don't need my husband to hold my at home & tell me everything is going to be ok if anything does go wrong i fix it myself i just hope he make's the right decision thats all i think its about proving something to himself it's my kids wellbeing i'm worried about

• Advertisement

he is one tough cookie smart ,he never joined the army but he wishes he had & i'm one tough woman i don't need my husband to hold my at home & tell me everything is going to be ok if anything does go wrong i fix it myself i just hope he make's the right decision thats all i think its about proving something to himself it's my kids wellbeing i'm worried about

This baffles me.

I suggest you go to the parenting forum for advice on how it will affect your kids. I'm not sure the military forum is the place for that particular topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

46?No previous experience?He won't be going anywhere tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I think a five year absence will most likely affect his kids negatively. At the very least it will severly damage his relationship with them - perhaps permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I know life is tough for us all but 5 years away from the kids and all, very selfish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which of you is having the mid-life crisis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm intrigued by what kind of relationship you have... if he thinks it would be okay to just feck off for five years, and that you would even consider that being okay... never mind the effects on the kids.

I suggest you go for extreme marriage counseling in French instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Thought you were heading to Oz, OP? What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thought you were heading to Oz, OP? What happened?

Beat me to it!

OP get him a PS3 & Black Ops II, he'll get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

He's over the age cut off.
    Entry is very competitive.
    I would imagine he has no chance of getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

He has as much chance of it as becoming the next Dundalk Queen of the May.

Why doesn't he just divorce you and be honest about it?

IF he managed to lie about his age and to fool the FFL recruiting board, AND managed to pass the recruit stage, which, by the way, is intentionally difficult and severely screws up already very fit young men in their 20's, he would be almost 50 by the time he was of any use to the Legion. By then, some guys have thirty years FFL behind them....

As has already been suggested, what HE really needs is a divorce, bearing in mind that he has already had one - from reality.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ok, this is a military forum.

Keep it that way.

If youre husband is truly interested in turning his back on you and your kids for five years for a flight of nostalgic fantasy by joining the French Foreign legion, I would suggest typing the following into Google.

"french foreign legion recruitment"

also point this out to your husband:

google "The dark side of the foreign legion"

read this article:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/the-irish-legionnaire-1206674.html

on boards read this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948427&highlight=french+foreign+legion

and contact the OP

google french foreign legion on youtube

read this

bankstobattlefields.blogspot.com/

also suggest that you purchase any books you can find online on amazon or in easons on the foreign legion for your husband.

lastly i am tempted to close this thread as we are now in the realms of family advice and marital counselling instead of the foreign legion. Ill let it run for a while longer but unless you require information about life as a military wife etc I cant see any more replies being relevant.

if your husband wants more information, he should read all of the above or else man the f**k up and learn about the internet and ask himself, he wont survive for long in any military if he doesnt know how to research, educate, learn and prepare for the future.

if you require information about the effects of a loved one leaving for any line of work I suggest you look to parenting advice forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=251

All the same OP, wish you all the best, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. and if you need any genuine military related advice you are always welcome here.

[MOD] Anyone else who fancies themselves as a guidance or marital counsellor on here is risking an infraction...

unless of course that is, that you can present signed certified credentials to me to prove that you are indeed a military marital counsellor,

in which case you'll still get 50 pushups in full battle gear for being a smart ar$e ;) [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

He's over the age limit, so they won't take him in. Even if he was under the limit, because he's married they would not allow any contact with you or your kids for the 5 years.
    syklops wrote: »
    I assume he speaks French to a high standard....

You don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is this for real? I thought maybe I'd stumbled into the AH forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

afaik the cut off is 40 years and french is not needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

French is not needed but it will be supplied;)
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I've had to go commando having pìssed myself laughing at this thread. If I said to my wife that I wanted to go join the French Foreign Legion (one of the toughest armies in the world!) she wouldn't be long telling me "cop the fùck on, you clown!", but in all reality she'd probably be only too glad to see the back of me if I came out with an idea like that!

The idea is never getting off the starting blocks because as many posters have already pointed out, your husband is over the age limit and maybe someone could correct me on this but many young men enter the French Foreign Legion rather than going to jail, so what chance in all honesty does your husband think he would have?

I'm trying to resist offering marital advice but me personally I'm saving up for a ferrari with a topless model in the passenger seat for when I hit my mid-life crisis! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I think Investment's wife has just signed up to Boards.ie :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

MODS can we move this to Walt now for god's sake

Thread closed whether legitimate or not, all information has been provided including free unsolicited marital counselling! Thats not what were here for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement