Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy brick wall , looking for inspiration

Options
  • 20-08-2015 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I am trying to find information on my Great Grandfather . I have his marriage record around 1892 in Queens County. It tells me he was born around 1862. He was widowed around 1899 and appears on the 1911 Census. I have nothing else after 1911 or before his marraige except his fathers first name and years of searching with no progress . I don't suppose anyone could suggest a source I haven't tried. He was a labourer and seems to have just melted away .after his wifes death. His son ( my grandfather was an only child and he was raised by extended family after his mother passed away during childbirth.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you looking to go backwards or forwards?

If you give us his name and link to the 1911 census, maybe we can help suggest more concrete options.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

I am looking to go forward to try and find when he died and where he is buried. I am looking to go backwards to try and find his family.

His name was Michael Nolan and he was in house 4 Fallowbeg Lower, Luggagurren , Queens County in 1911. He was widowed at that stage.

I also know his fathers first name was Michael and wife Sarah Southern.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

quartz1 wrote: »
    ......name was Michael Nolan and he was in house 4 Fallowbeg Lower, Luggagurren , Queens County in 1911. He was widowed at that stage...

The townland of Fallowbeg Lower was in Athy registration district. Michael is shown on the 1911 return as 42, so born c1869 - if he stayed in the area, then based on the age range suggested by the marriage and census detail, then there are about five deaths showing on the BMD index (which covers up to 1958) that are probably worth following up - see : Michael Nolan b1860-1871, death 1911-1958, Athy Reg. District

Thank you very much indeed . The area itself is confusing because its sitting between laois Carlow Kildare and even Kilkenny. I have a feeling he may have ended up towards Carlow . I guess all I can do it begin ordering death certs from the GRO and hope for the best that his son or someone who's name I recognise registered his death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you checked local newspapers for a death notice?
    The Irish Newspaper Archive is available free in many libraries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I have and no luck. The only trace I have on him is as a " found on " around 1905 on findmypast petty records . I have evidence he was born in Arles and I can fit him into a family there perfectly however I can't prove it the only genealogy that works for me is the one that your sure is correct. My problem is the surname is very common around Carlow

Is the family tree on Ancestry is yours?

Genealogy Forum Mod

It is mine but I am not happen as his connection to the other Nolans. Oral tradition sayes he was a first cousin to Thomas Nowlan in that tree and we were raised in Thomas Nowlans house but the proving of it with sources has totally failed me. I haven't even pursued my g grandfathers siblings too much because I have never heard the existed and I don't know where they went to. I feel its a little sad that he was widowed with one son and none of us know where he went to. My Grand father passed away as a young man also so all the connections were broken.

in case it helps anyone working back - Michael and Sarah married in Ballyadams RC parish in 1892. Residence of the groom 'Sefield'* and of the bride 'Slatt'*, father's names Michael Nolan and Patrick Southern.

* poss. Southfield townland Ballyadams c.p., and Slatt upper or lower in Rathaspick c.p.

Yes that info is correct. I presume the S Field was Southfield Ballyadams.

I have spent an age trying to crack it but the brick wall has proven itself to hardened for me . I got the original marriage cert from the GRO but there's no other info of any help on it.

• Advertisement

I imagine he was working in Southfield Ballyadams when he got married and that accounts for his address. There's no clue as to where his father was from. The 1911 census shows he had returned to Ballyadams Luggagurren as a widow.

I have a slight suspicion he may have finished IP in Carlow but again that only a suspicion

Have you attempted tracing living relatives of these other doubtful Nolan's on the off chance that they may know something, even if it just confirms your suspicion that they aren't connected, it may narrow the search ever so slightly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If it doesn't sound too confusing I can say their doubtfull its just that I can't prove it. I have tried chasing his probable siblings but more brick wall. I have had no difficulties finding his cousins around the world but its just frustrating that I can find all my cousins but not my direct line . The Nolan / Nowlan surname was very common in Arles and the records show so many inter family marriages that I am just going around in circles .

one of the witnesses to the marriage is a Mathew Nolan - possible brother ?
    might be a lead - a less common name to search for

Mathew would seem to have been his first cousin but I can not find him anywhere. He was in Ireland around 1905 but then I lose him . I think he may have went to America but brick wall there too

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Could this be 1 possible candidate for Michael's birth? Certainly the right area of Laois, just SW of Athy. Of course you'd need other evidence to either validate or dismiss it. From familysearch.org:

Name Micheal Nolan
    Gender Male
    Birth Date 25 Aug 1865
    Birthplace 0418,BALLYLYNAN,QUEENS,IRELAND
    Father's Name Micheal Nolan
    Mother's Name Anne Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Did you look up the will calendars ( alphabetical index of probate / administrations granted each year). They can be searched on the National Archives of Ireland website. Even if he only left a fiver in the Post office, administration would be needed.

Thank you. I have seen the record with the Robinson surname and it keeps popping up as also fitting . I will check it out again and the area does fit. I did try the Wills also but no luck

Advertisement