Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Databases

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I am not sure how new this is, but it was new to me, so I am posting it as it may be of interest -

A range of databases, totalling over 5 million records, has recently been published on Dublin City Council’s website where it can be accessed free of charge: visit http://databases.dublincity.ie/
    The databases are useful for genealogy, local history and social history and will be formally launched during Heritage Week by Councillor Vincent Jackson, Chair of Dublin City Council’s Commemorations Committee. Speakers will include the noted genealogist John Grenham (Dublin City Electoral Rolls); Dr. Mary Clark (Dublin Directory 1647-1706) and Ellen Murphy (Index to minutes of Dublin City Council). The Deputy City Librarian, Brendan Teeling and the Director of the National Archives, John McDonough, will also be present.

Date: Wednesday 26 August 2015 @ 5.30 p.m.

Venue: Dublin City Library & Archive, Pearse Street, Dublin 2

Admission Free: booking not required
    Post edited by Hermy on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just found a name in the Dublin City Pipe Water Accounts 1706. Still relevant today! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I just found a name in the Dublin City Pipe Water Accounts 1706. Still relevant today! :D

I hope, that with better civil records, that my descendants won't be having to look through the "2015 Water Conservation Grant Payments" to find proof of where I lived!

Found some family registered on the Voters Lists like this:

Inhabitant occupier or ratepayer

Inhabitant Householder

Rated Occupier,

Leaseholder 20

Am I right in assuming they rented the properties and didn't own any of them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rated Occupier can actually be the owner under its sole remaining use for the definition (rates, obviously). I don't know if this was the case back then.

I've got a case where I'm absolutely certain, from newspaper reports, that someone owned their pub but they're down as "rated occupier" and the census enumerator never filled in that colume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 - Until the early twentieth century, very few people owned the home they occupied. Even when an occupier owned the building, the land on which it was built was generally leased, and subject to ground rent. Buying out the ground rent, thus buying the freehold, only became common from the 1970s onwards.

• Advertisement

Yes, I thought they rented all right, just wanted clarification regarding those particular entries as I wasn't sure. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Found some family registered on the Voters Lists like this:

Inhabitant occupier or ratepayer

Inhabitant Householder

Rated Occupier,

Leaseholder 20

Am I right in assuming they rented the properties and didn't own any of them?

The definitions of all these terms is likely set down in legislation so could be date specific if legislation changed.

Ceannrua, they were probably taken from different years, can't remember, I'd have to go back to the databases, but is there anywhere I could find out about what each of the terms actually meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Ceannrua, they were probably taken from different years, can't remember, I'd have to go back to the databases, but is there anywhere I could find out about what each of the terms actually meant?

You can keyword search legislation at www.irishstatutebook.ie. The legislation might be listed at the beginning of the voter lists if you can look at the cover or first few pages. At a guess, these terms might be defined in Local Government Acts or Electoral Acts. I don't know if there is specific legislation for domestic/commercial rates or if it might be included in local government or some other legislation.

Thanks Ceannrua. Will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

About 15 years ago when I was checking for medieval records of Dublin, a good number of mostly US academic institutions had uploaded the entire Gilbert records for Dublin Corporation to the superb Archive.org repository. You can check for apprentice names, disputes over mills and water rights in the city, disputes between brewers (usually over water, too), guilds, courts, markets and so very much more. An exceptional way to reimagine the city's life in the middle ages.

You can download them all for free, along with all (most?) State Papers for Ireland and numerous other primary sources one once had to visit a library for. You can then search them for keywords in a few minutes to become a far more efficient researcher than ever before.

Here, for example, are the primary sources which appear when one searches for "Gilbert" and "Dublin": https://archive.org/search.php?query=+gilbert+history+dublin&sin=

What an extraordinary resource when one recalls that the old printed Calendars from the 19th century almost always had a poor index so you had to read every single page ar eagla na heagla. They'll be giving out PhDs after two months if technology keeps evolving at this pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@gaiscioch

Please don't drag up old threads.

Start a new one instead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement