Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardiner Street Gospel Choir in the Olympia Dublin on Saturday, 4th December, 2004

Options
  • 06-12-2004 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I was at the Olympia on Saturday night to see The Gardiner Street Gospel Choir, and they were legendary! I know my handle gives away my allegence, but being as objective as I can I would still have to say that this choir is magical! They looked sexy on stage, they sounded powerful and spectacular. They just blew the audience away!

Their repetoire ranged from Bob Dylan to Primal Scream, Bob Marley, Sting, Mary Mary, and everything in-between. They're not quite Harlem Gospel Choir and they don't pretend to be. None of the robes that Whoopie Goldberg would wear in Sister Act, to be honest, I think that just hides bad dancing. No, that's not Gardiner Street Gospel Choir at all. They moved fluidly, they sang wonderfully, they had great energy and gave it all to the audience, and the audience, all 1300 of them gave it back in bucket-loads.

The show was opened by Karl Deeter and his bluegrass band who dazzled the audience by his prowness with a guitar, he was a great ice-breaker. There was a bit of a gap, however between the acts which seemed to bother a few people, but when GSGC came out on stage all was forgiven.

Anne-Marie Redmond and Solomon Ijigade gave a powerful rendition of Jesus Loves Me, a soulful duet not to hide the root and purpose of the Choir, but this was followed by modern and contemporary songs which all demonstrated the ability and talent of every member of the choir, being a showcase for a seemingly endless line of talented singers.

The show ended with Where Is The Love by Black-Eyed Peas and Oh Happy Day, both greeted with tremendous applause from a very grateful audience who just did not seem to want the night to end.

Wow!

Just to impress upon you the uniqueness of this Choir, this show, like every other show they have done was entirely for charity, this time the Arrupe Society run by Fr. Peter McVerry S.J. which houses homeless boys. The gig raised €12,000 for that charity, a truly tremendous success.

Gardiner Street Gospel Choir sing at the Gospel Mass on Sunday nights at 7:3pm at St. Francis Xavier Church, Gardiner Street, Dublin 1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

The show was opened by Karl Deeter and his bluegrass band who dazzled the audience by his prowness with a guitar, he was a great ice-breaker. There was a bit of a gap, however between the acts which seemed to bother a few people, but when GSGC came out on stage all was forgiven.

The gap wasn't that bad to be fair. I question if his string snapping was intentional though just so he could get the "anyone got a g-string" gag in there.

I had a great time myself actually, and i'm generally not into this genre of music, but when taking the aforementioned songs and transforming them to what they did that night (Granted "I Still haven't found what i'm looking for" was originally a gospel song anyway), credit to where it's due. They put on an amazing performance and i'd definitely go again.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Aye great performance... choir sounded a bit quiet where I was standing at the back.. but sounded amazing when I moved closer to the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

I think the mics were raised a bit after the first couple of songs. Could be wrong but it did get a little louder on the first circle :)

Nero

Advertisement