Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats with all the negativity towards us?

• 23-04-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So I just stumbled into a thread on another forum, where a line in the first paragragh, went like, this is being discussed in AH to the usual AH standard.

Now I know we may not be as serious as some of the other forums, there can be a bit more trolling here, wumming, scarcam and smartarse comment. But then we can be seriuos when we have to, and have produced some genuine, and educational threads, in a language that alot of us can understand, ie, in laymans terms, with out being bogged down in jargon.

I know my self, I would much rather read and contribute to a political or major news story thread here, than say a political forum, for the reason my lack of knowledge or understanding is less likely to set apoun, and any responces it receives, are in a language I can understand, and I'm not left bamboozled.

So fellow, AHs, defend yourselfs, and put the rest of them straight about us.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Defend my self alongside other people? i don't like people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

We need a sesquipedalian to defend AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

They hate us just 'coz they ain't us. Or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's ignorance for the most part. A lot of the opinions people who don't frequent AH have, are due to a few muppets that come here for attention.

It's like the way a lot of blokes for the most part, tend to have a negative view of tLL.

When people learn that most of the stuff here isn't serious and when serious stuff for the most part is respected, they eventually cop on. But there's no way to force it, other than when they see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

infamy! infamy! they've all got it in for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What's "wumming"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Jealous bitches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh, we're all window-licking blithering idiots in AH, like Arthur Figgis in the old Monty Python sketch. But sure gawdluvvus we're happy. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Possibly because 9 out of 10 threads here involve having the craic, taking the piss, ridiculing or slagging with the odd serious, worthy, self reflecting, maudlin or nostalgic topic thrown in for good measure. Isn't that how After Hours in a pub operates (inebriation excepted)? I'm guessing the forum name originated from that?

Serious topics have their place here - the "Lets laugh at people with depression" thread on this forum, while very distressing at times is one of the most uplifting, moving, sharing and supportive internet forums/blogs/whatever I've ever come across - I don't think I'm exaggerating when I'd say it is possibly proving a life line to some people.

Another thread a few months back about an isolated guy abroad finding out his partner had a terminal illness and was by himself and he sought comfort on this forum. The volume of feedback and support he got from posters here gave me newfound faith in people.

Long live AH!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

strobe wrote: »
    What's "wumming"?
    I think it's taken from WUM - Wind Up Merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'd suggest that it could be because the standard of debate around here surrounding political, economic and religious topics is of appalling quality for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

strobe wrote: »
    What's "wumming"?

WUM - Wind Up Merchant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Snobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Que?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So I just stumbled into a thread on another forum, where a line in the first paragragh, went like, this is being discussed in AH to the usual AH standard.

Now I know we may not be as serious as some of the other forums, there can be a bit more trolling here, wumming, scarcam and smartarse comment. But then we can be seriuos when we have to, and have produced some genuine, and educational threads, in a language that alot of us can understand, ie, in laymans terms, with out being bogged down in jargon.

I know my self, I would much rather read and contribute to a political or major news story thread here, than say a political forum, for the reason my lack of knowledge or understanding is less likely to set apoun, and any responces it receives, are in a language I can understand, and I'm not left bamboozled.

So fellow, AHs, defend yourselfs, and put the rest of them straight about us.

And that's without even mentioning your thread title. Yeh, can't think why people might not take AH seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd suggest that it could be because the standard of debate around here surrounding political, economic and religious topics is of appalling quality for the most part.

You're a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And that's without even mentioning your thread title. Yeh, can't think why people might not take AH seriously.

Sorry, I wasn't aware I had started a thread regarding spelling and grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

There is a level of the grumps that is tolerable for an informal forum. Then there are times when it is going to kill off actual banter.

Every thread is stopped dead in it's tracks. If you are going to insult you must let it lead somewhere for it to be interesting.

I think some posters think they come across as witty or as wise guys. Often they come across as bitter, tired and not very bright.

When debates about an actual issue occur the people who post in other forums come across as sane and with a good dose of detachment. In AH they can be just plain bat **** crazy and just not that clever.

Actual banter and craic is not 9 out of 10 threads ....it's about 4 out of 10 let's be honest. The rest is annoying moaners.

Actually I think annoying moaners is probably why AH gets bashed ...that and pure G O B S H I T E R Y ..gob****ery (stop censoring me boards.ie!)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

AH Charter, post number 20

Grammar Gestapo need not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think the replies speak for themselves.

For serious discussion about topics which have a sub forum, use the sub forum.

For less serious topics or ones which don't fit anywhere else, use AH.

AH gets a lot of serious debates but they're usually spun off from a thread title related to something in the media which didn't really warrant a thread in a sub forum to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

AH was never about serious debate, it was a rules lax haven which brings out the worst in people regarding abuse but also resulted in true gems of humour and entertainment.

The rules are constantly being raised however which lessens the humour more and more but it will never be a place for serious debate so you still have all of the sh!t but less and less of the laughs that made it worthwhile.

Dr.Evil said it best "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Sex Cauldron???? I thought they closed that Place down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't really post in here that much any more, mainly cos it's not as much craic as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

The iconoclastshave gained a certain traction in AH. jonnie iconoclast can pm his fellow boardsie buddies and ask them to support or just 'thank' a snarky sour reply made by him in response to a fair comment by another poster.
    g*****y by another name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Don't know how far this thread will fly, since it's premised on other forums, but yes: In many other forums, if there is a large enough number of posters defending 'consensus' views, and using gutter-level argument against minority opinion, then they can - in numbers - dominate discussion on the forum, by being obnoxious enough to either deter minority opinion, or by getting minority opinion to build up infractions by calling out others obnoxiousness, when those pushing the consensus view, gain none due to being in larger numbers (which somehow seems to justify obnoxiousness, in many mods eyes).

I know this is all a bit vague, but I've encountered it on at least two subforums, where this kind of dynamic, leads to mods enforcing double standards in support of 'consensus' views, and shoving out minority views.

Now, this is why AH is so good: In AH, there's no (or very little) mod interference that is susceptible to this bias, so arguments have to be won based purely on merit - and if someone likes to use gutter level arguments, you can call them out on it (e.g. if someone is repeatedly overly snobbish/condescending, you can - quite rightly - label them a "condescending arsehole" :pac: - so long as you also pick apart their arguments).

You still get a bad quality of arguments a lot of the time, but AH does not become the echo-chamber of consensus views, that other forums become.

gugleguy wrote: »
    The iconoclastshave gained a certain traction in AH. jonnie iconoclast can pm his fellow boardsie buddies and ask them to support or just 'thank' a snarky sour reply made by him in response to a fair comment by another poster.
    g*****y by another name.

People don't do that do they?

Lol..

Why who cares?

Don't know how far this thread will fly, since it's premised on other forums, but yes: In many other forums, if there is a large enough number of posters defending 'consensus' views, and using gutter-level argument against minority opinion, then they can - in numbers - dominate discussion on the forum, by being obnoxious enough to either deter minority opinion, or by getting minority opinion to build up infractions by calling out others obnoxiousness, when those pushing the consensus view, gain none due to being in larger numbers (which somehow seems to justify obnoxiousness, in many mods eyes).

I know this is all a bit vague, but I've encountered it on at least two subforums, where this kind of dynamic, leads to mods enforcing double standards in support of 'consensus' views, and shoving out minority views.

Now, this is why AH is so good: In AH, there's no (or very little) mod interference that is susceptible to this bias, so arguments have to be won based purely on merit - and if someone likes to use gutter level arguments, you can call them out on it (e.g. if someone is repeatedly overly snobbish/condescending, you can - quite rightly - label them a "condescending arsehole" :pac: - so long as you also pick apart their arguments).

You still get a bad quality of arguments a lot of the time, but AH does not become the echo-chamber of consensus views, that other forums become.

I disagree there is a level of logical reasoning required in the politics forum for instance. A view must be well argued.

A well argued view is not appreciated for the art of debate here.

There is no respect for a point you do not agree with but well made never the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Its generally just the high horses who act like their **** don't stink tend to dislike after hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Lou.m wrote: »
    I disagree there is a level of logical reasoning required in the politics forum for instance. A view must be well argued.

There is no respect for a point you do not agree with but well made never the less.
    Yes but what good is a well argued view, if a forum is restricted to certain 'consensus' views? AH has plenty of well argued views too, but yes, a lot of garbage as well.

None of the most important political topics that affect us, get discussed in Politics tbh; I still read Politics even though I'm banned there (when logged-off), and there is far better/more-diverse discussion on a lot of AH topics.

EDIT: I'd also disagree with the last line: There is often no respect for arguments that fall outside of consensus views - a Politics thread on protests for example, is even worse than AH for ridicule/condescension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Lou.m wrote: »

Don't know about the politics forum, but I don't particularly appreciate the art of debate. Certainly not above science. Fcuk Cicero, let's factcheck. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

After Hours is great if you switch your brain off. Luckily for me, my brain is switched off all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

AH is all about going with the flow according to a particular threads vibe or subject matter.There's a time and a place to be serious and a time and a place for some messing. Sometimes often within the very same thread. I have enough stress in my daily life without getting bogged down in some ego laden, point scoring nonsense in another forum. So AH suits me just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

yawhat! wrote: »
    Its generally just the high horses who act like their **** don't stink tend to dislike after hours!
    Ah Jaysis, can we get those two words outlawed in the charter. Got to be the most overused words in all of Boards.ie, not just After Hours to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Blast it with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

how would they know what's been said, unless they're stalking us, while secretly wanting to be us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The thing i most hate about here is that the first reply is always an attempt to be funny and sassy which 99% of the time fails - with a pun that makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

EyeSight wrote: »
    The thing i most hate about here is that the first reply is always an attempt to be funny and sassy which 99% of the time fails - with a pun that makes no sense

Yep but rule number one for the thanks-whores is to reply early to a thread with something "funny". Even better if it's a Simpsons or Father Ted quote. Always guaranteed to get a load of thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Yep but rule number one for the thanks-whores is to reply early to a thread with something "funny". Even better if it's a Simpsons or Father Ted quote. Always guaranteed to get a load of thanks.

down with that sort of thing!

careful now :p

Advertisement