Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Fulfilling Prophecy

• 23-04-2014 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Have you ever fallen victim of it?

The self-fulfilling prophecy is, in the beginning, a false definition of the situation evoking a new behaviour which makes the original false conception come 'true'. This specious validity of the self-fulfilling prophecy perpetuates a reign of error. For the prophet will cite the actual course of events as proof that they were right from the very beginning.

As an example, a relation of mine has for years felt that I have no time whatsoever for her. This was always untrue but in recent months their behaviour has resulted in them acting in a selfish and arrogant way when meeting up with me. Insults have been thrown and public displays of anger have been shown, their behaviour has thus resulted in me wanting to have nothing whatsover to do with them. :confused:

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

snaphook wrote: »

The self-fulfilling prophecy is, in the beginning, a false definition of the situation evoking a new behaviour which makes the original false conception come 'true'. This specious validity of the self-fulfilling prophecy perpetuates a reign of error. For the prophet will cite the actual course of events as proof that they were right from the very beginning.

As an example, a relation of mine has for years felt that I have no time whatsoever for her. This was always untrue but in recent months their behaviour has resulted in them acting in a selfish and arrogant way when meeting up with me. Insults have been thrown and public displays of anger have been shown, their behaviour has thus resulted in me wanting to have nothing whatsover to do with them. :confused:

Misusing :confused: in posts that are not originally confusing and subsequently confusing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I had a cat in a box with a single atom of a radioactive isotope that had a 50% chance of decaying within 24 hours.
    When it decayed it would trigger a mechanism that would release a poisonous gas that will certainly kill the cat

Due to quantum uncertainty, the only way to be sure whether the single atom had decayed or not was to observe it, and due to superposition, the atom before it is observed exists in all possible states at once, therefore the cat is, theoretically, both dead and alive at the same time.

I made a prophesy that the cat was certainly dead, so I left it in that box for 2 goddamn weeks without food or water, and when I opened the box, sure enough, my prophesy came true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I always believed that verbose copy and pastes in italics would confuse someone someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

that i get at least two thanks a day on boards. and i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I am definitely not going to respond to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye I do it all the time with study, when I've a lot of work to do, I'm worried about not having enough time to get it done, then I end up stressing out about that so much that I'm not doing the work.

an actual response OP, there ye go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Akrasia wrote: »
    I had a cat in a box with a single atom of a radioactive isotope......

Is that you erwin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I just posted about an annoying classmate who does stupid shít, I suspect I will go to school tomorrow and see her doing stupid shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was out for a walk on a very wet day and I recalled the recent comments of a friend. "Corvus, if there was a hole you'd fall into it." I then saw a pothole ahead of me which filled me with dread and before I knew it I fell into it.

Advertisement