Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charge Quotas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will we get charged extra or get any refunds for the numerous times cryptosporidium is found in our drinking water?

As for charging it should be done on a pps number basis. Everyone with a pps number gets charged a fixed fee per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Will we get charged extra or get any refunds for the numerous times cryptosporidium is found in our drinking water?

As for charging it should be done on a pps number basis. Everyone with a pps number gets charged a fixed fee per year.

My water is with a GWS and its the only time you get out of a bath dirtier than you got in :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

You pretty much do already. Most bottled water comes from the same sources as tap water.

It's not the sources that are the problem it's the distribution system that is the problem, until the distribution system is updated and improved I'm against water charges, but on the whole I think water charges are perfectly reasonable, and the charges also include removal of waster water awell which I have no doubt we should be paying for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

seamus wrote: »
    it will be a quick exercise in learning to control the amount of water they use, and within a relatively short period of time not leaving the tap running while you brush your teeth and not filling the entire sink to clean a couple of spoons will become second nature.

I suspect a good deal of people already treat water with respect.

It's a pity the government is unable to apply the same sort of principles to public money.

The amount of waste for the control and admin of public bodies like Irish water and the HSE is shocking. I'm sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

"But the quotas being reported" .................What Quotas,....I have not heard any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Humanbean

Caliden wrote: »
    It goes into the big pot and it's spent, like every other tax.

The nonsense they've spouted about it being spent on local amenities is just that, nonsense.
    It's not even comparable to 'council tax' in the U.K. (which actually gets spent in it's originating areas).

You forget that in the UK they already pay water charges on top of and in addition to council tax, for both fresh and waste water, and that (if you actually believe your quote) the lowest rates of council tax are paid in the poorest areas - so not much going into the pot where it is most needed. Comparably, Ireland has had it pretty easy in terms of public charges - but may not have seen much of a return either. Rather like the environment tax on UK airports - that got spent on the NHS and pensions and didn't touch carbon emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Humanbean wrote: »
    You forget that in the UK they already pay water charges on top of and in addition to council tax, for both fresh and waste water, and that (if you actually believe your quote) the lowest rates of council tax are paid in the poorest areas - so not much going into the pot where it is most needed. Comparably, Ireland has had it pretty easy in terms of public charges - but may not have seen much of a return either . Rather like the environment tax on UK airports - that got spent on the NHS and pensions and didn't touch carbon emissions.

How much does a person in the UK get charged for:
    • health
    • school book/education fees
    • refuse collections
    • road tax (compared to irelands motor tax)
    • the UK vat rate

How's the USC going down there too? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I was ok with the charges coming in.... until I read this bull****:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-left-without-water-meters-must-pay-72-extra-30193805.html

So we are penalised due to their to ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

At least our inheritance taxes are the among the highest in the world! :D
    It is the highest to be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

bear1 wrote: »
    I was ok with the charges coming in.... until I read this bull****:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-left-without-water-meters-must-pay-72-extra-30193805.html

So we are penalised due to their to ineptitude.

wow:eek: not only are they going to tax privately drilled and maintained wells theyre going to charge more for it

• Advertisement

How much does a person in the UK get charged for:
    • health
    • school book/education fees
    • refuse collections
    • road tax (compared to irelands motor tax)
    • the UK vat rate
    How's the USC going down there too? :cool:

Economies of scale means they need to take less income from the population. Ireland has roughly the population on Manchester yet we have a larger area to cover with that income and all the national expenses as well.

You simply can't compare the two in any reasonable manner without ignoring basic economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The entire thing just seems like it was set up to pay a huge wage to a few of the boys, and not do anything about the supply of water to the public.
    I mean Scotland can do it so well why the hell cant we ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Undercut themselves.

Wine has went up €1.50 a bottle, and DIRT is 41%.

Except it is not Fine Fail agreed to most of this stuff and Fine Gael had to honour those agreements. Before people say the Greens pushed for these they were agreed before they were in government too.

Biggest scam ever pulled off was managing to get people to thing it was other people who made these decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

My sister told me that she read a comment somewhere that in mainland europe for the water charges they pay, the water coming in is hot water. I don't know how true that is though.
    I think they were having you on. :pac:
    Yes there are places that supply hot water. Those people are connected to a water supply from a CHP(combined heat and power) generating facility.

Iirc, they are generally biomass facilities with the heat being dispersed through heating water which is piped to local hospitals, schools and individual homes

5live wrote: »
    Yes there are places that supply hot water. Those people are connected to a water supply from a CHP(combined heat and power) generating facility.

Iirc, they are generally biomass facilities with the heat being dispersed through heating water which is piped to local hospitals, schools and individual homes

Yes but the incinerator are not stopped by the locals in order to allow this to happen. The public here are not exactly willing for such schemes. Our electricity generation could do the same instead of wasting this heated water as is. When it was proposed to use it there was massive resistance politically and publically.

What is all this................."Im ok with the charges coming" crap. If you are then the indoctrination (read brainwashing) you have been subjected to is having a profound effect on yer intelect........you are the camel here and the more the elites load you the LOUDER you roar........not whimpering and fobbing and courtesying as if that Limrick prick of a Taoiseach was royalty. YOU ARE BAILING OUT THE LIKES OF "SEANIE ANGLO IRISH" FITSPATRICK and his fellow gamblers. Go grow a spine and hopefully a pair of balls will eventually develop.

Walker34 wrote: »
    What is all this................."Im ok with the charges coming" crap. If you are then the indoctrination (read brainwashing) you have been subjected to is having a profound effect on yer intelect........you are the camel here and the more the elites load you the LOUDER you roar........not whimpering and fobbing and courtesying as if that Limrick prick of a Taoiseach was royalty. YOU ARE BAILING OUT THE LIKES OF "SEANIE ANGLO IRISH" FITSPATRICK and his fellow gamblers. Go grow a spine and hopefully a pair of balls will eventually develop.

Are you ok?

• Advertisement

Im fine.....how are you.?

The reply assumes you are male naturally.!

Meh not bad.

These charges are TAX, plain and simple..........rebranding TAX as water charges or all the other chargis being levied is just the a--h----s in the civil service being fierce shmart...............ITS TAX plain and simple. This is what happens when the IMF take yer taoiseach into a room in a hotel in Dublin and they take turns. He gets TAXED and we in turn get TAXED........and now the whole country is TAXED. You can substitute another word for TAXED and it is probably more accurate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Economies of scale means they need to take less income from the population. Ireland has roughly the population on Manchester yet we have a larger area to cover with that income and all the national expenses as well.

You simply can't compare the two in any reasonable manner without ignoring basic economics.

Population of Greater Manchester - 2.7m
    Population of Ireland - 4.6m

They're really not roughly the same at all, I don't know why so many people bring up this "fact".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

These charges are TAX, plain and simple..........rebranding TAX as water charges or all the other chargis being levied is just the a--h----s in the civil service being fierce shmart...............ITS TAX plain and simple. This is what happens when the IMF take yer taoiseach into a room in a hotel in Dublin and they take turns. He gets TAXED and we in turn get TAXED........and now the whole country is TAXED. You can substitute another word for TAXED and it is probably more accurate.

I don't see why it makes a difference what it's called. You're receiving a service for money that you're provided. This has nothing to do with the IMF.

I'm watching Leaders Questions atm and to watch Eamon Gilmore is sickening.
    Caoimhin O'Caoliaon asked him several direct question, questions had I been there I personally would have wanted answered. Gilmore went on the usual attack as to SF politics (I support no party but respect everyone who is elected into the house to speak and have their questions heard. I have just heard several of the FG side shout Northern Ireland FFS while O'Caolaoin was speaking)
    Gilmore did his usual "Smoke and Mirrors" and would not answer a single question CO'C asked regarding the water issues.
    3/4 of people will NOT be metered by the time the charges come in.
    That's 3 out of four houses NOT metered.
    I would like to call them a bunch of idiots, but that just seems to be letting them off the hook

Except you have to ignore the fact it was agreed years earlier with a different government. It is a charge by use so not a tax but you seem happy ranting things that aren't true so who am I to ruin your fun?:P

Population of Greater Manchester - 2.7m
    Population of Ireland - 4.6m

They're really not roughly the same at all, I don't know why so many people bring up this "fact".
    Citation needed.

It doesn't matter the argument stills stands on its own merits. There is more of them and economy of scale exists. That is even ignoring the fact the other sources of income the British Empire still makes for them.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Except you have to ignore the fact it was agreed years earlier with a different government. It is a charge by use so not a tax but you seem happy ranting things that aren't true so who am I to ruin your fun?:P

All due respect Ray, it cannot be a charge by use when 3/4 of people won't have a meter to measure use. So therefore, like it or not, its a tax

Advertisement