Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

170m from VDSL Cabinet. 3.5MB Download Speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fat-tony wrote: »
    You can't ask to be connected to another cabinet without running a cable pair from your house to that particular cabinet. Your existing line runs either overground or underground to a specific copper cabinet, which is in turn linked to a VDSL cabinet.

I'm not an expert in POTS but I suspect most lines run through various junction boxes and it is possible to re-jumper them to run in a different direction (say to a different cab). Otherwise anyone requesting a new line would have to have an entirely new copper pair pulled from the nearest cabinet or exchange.

However its probably not straightforward for a domestic customer to get their existing line rerouted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I just wanted to follow up on this thread as it's almost a month since I originally posted.

So the great news is that I'm now on Fibre with speeds of around 67 megs which is so much better than what i was getting. Essentially I was connected to the correct cabinet but my line hadn't yet passed the speed tests ("prequal"?).

I have to say Vodafone we're brilliant. From the first call to support to the frequent updates. First they confirmed I was connected to the actual fibre cabinet which I suspected and then investigated why I couldn't yet get the fibre. When the tests passed Vodafone let me know on the Tuesday afternoon and by the same time the following Friday the engineer was there setting it up for me. Can't complain about a three day turnaround.

So I'm happy and hats off to Vodafone.

Advertisement