Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

170m from VDSL Cabinet. 3.5MB Download Speeds

Options
  • 27-03-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Evening all.....

I've just moved into a new house that's a massive 800m from my old one. In the old house I had fibre with Vodafone and was getting around 65MB download. The old house was 400m from the cabinet and this new house is 170m (although a different cabinet). I'm getting a pitiful 3.5MB download in this new house and when I do a line test on the phone number it's telling me I can get "up to 24MB".

Is there anything I can check to verify if I'm connected to this VDSL cabinet down the road? I will ring Vodafone tomorrow but I want to be prepared for the "computer says no answers".

Are there any settings I can check on the Vodafone supplied modem (same one I used for fibre in the other house) or check the quality of my line?

I did have network guys out last week as I wasn't sure if the house had a phone line at all. There was a cable coming across the road alright and the lads just put a joint box on the old line (a fairly old cable I'd guess) and ran a new line into the house.

What I have down the road looks identical to this:
    r1zy1d.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Actually now that i think of it when the the network guys were putting in the new line my wife saw them working on the cabinet 170m away so I assume from that I must be connected.

The next questions might be is this VDSL cabinet even switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SachaJ wrote: »
    I'm getting a pitiful 3.5MB download in this new house and when I do a line test on the phone number it's telling me I can get "up to 24MB".

Are you on DSL now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Speed measurements don't mean much, could be caused by your local setup or contention or other factors. What does the signal to noise ratio on your router say? Login to your router admin page to see this. If there is very bad noise on the line it will severely limit your speed. This is a big problem with the old spliced lines we have. Eircom will not recognise this is a line fault, to fix it needs a new line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

2 possible issues, 1st the cab might not be commissioned for use yet, to check next time you walk or drive past check and see if the fibre cab has a yellow sticker indicating the cab number.

2nd issue, if there is a sticker and VF say that you can't get fibre what possibly could have happened is that if the old cable had a fault on it or was too old when eircom ran their line test the system might have just said no to providing fibre as it might have thought that the house was too far away to be able to receive it.

Not sure if this is possible anymore, but on eircom's site at the start of the rollout you were able to check the availability by address, if that is still the case then try search for the houses next to yours and see what it says. If it says that they can get it well it would seem like the 2nd issue is at fault and you will just have to sit patiently until the eircom re-runs a line test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Eircom will say the line test passed if it's capable of 3mbit.

• Advertisement

Morning guys.... Thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated.

I had a look at the cabinet this morning and yes there is a yellow sticker on it which reads "DCB 019A". It corresponds with the information on this sheet: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Also I have attached a screenshot of my Vodafone provided router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It says in your stats you're only on adsl. Think you need to check if the cabinet is switched on for VDSL.

It says in your stats you're only on adsl. Think you need to check if the cabinet is switched on for VDSL.

Thanks for that. How do i check for sure if the cabinet is enabled (besides the yellow sticker)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Thanks for that. How do i check for sure if the cabinet is enabled (besides the yellow sticker)?

Check the NGA map on the eircom Wholesale website

Yes, Fibre is enabled on that cabinet as per attached image.......

Suggested next steps?

(again, appreciate any and all help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

allen175 wrote: »
    2 possible issues, 1st the cab might not be commissioned for use yet, to check next time you walk or drive past check and see if the fibre cab has a yellow sticker indicating the cab number.

2nd issue, if there is a sticker and VF say that you can't get fibre what possibly could have happened is that if the old cable had a fault on it or was too old when eircom ran their line test the system might have just said no to providing fibre as it might have thought that the house was too far away to be able to receive it.

Not sure if this is possible anymore, but on eircom's site at the start of the rollout you were able to check the availability by address, if that is still the case then try search for the houses next to yours and see what it says. If it says that they can get it well it would seem like the 2nd issue is at fault and you will just have to sit patiently until the eircom re-runs a line test.

...more like 3. He could be connected directly to the exchange. We have a direct feed in our housing estate but this isn't the case for all the houses. Some people reported being connected to the VDSL cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Am you have ADSL, not VDSL. You need to order VDSL if it's available to you. It's not automatically enabled. Did you specifically order VDSL (fibre)?

Wouldnt be surprised if its direct feed. That or he just needs an appointment to be patched over at the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Morning guys.... Thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated.

I had a look at the cabinet this morning and yes there is a yellow sticker on it which reads "DCB 019A". It corresponds with the information on this sheet: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Also I have attached a screenshot of my Vodafone provided router

Hi there,

If you get Daz & co here to have a look http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

Right I've rang and spoke to Vodafone tech support and they are sending an engineer out. He checked the line number but said that fibre was not coming up as an option from the cabinet. I thought that was a bit strange since it's an enabled cabinet so maybe there's a fault on the line somewhere.

They are sending out the engineer to check out line noise so hopefully they will also check why I can't get fibre (that's if they actually call to the house and not just do the work on the cabinet or pole).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Right I've rang and spoke to Vodafone tech support and they are sending an engineer out. He checked the line number but said that fibre was not coming up as an option from the cabinet. I thought that was a bit strange since it's an enabled cabinet so maybe there's a fault on the line somewhere.

They are sending out the engineer to check out line noise so hopefully they will also check why I can't get fibre (that's if they actually call to the house and not just do the work on the cabinet or pole).

I thought it was a bit strange that you apparently did not contact Vodafone in advance to let them know you were moving house and you needed to transfer the telephone service. Is there anyone moving into your old house and are they taking over the phone line there?

I thought it was a bit strange that you apparently did not contact Vodafone in advance to let them know you were moving house and you needed to transfer the telephone service. Is there anyone moving into your old house and are they taking over the phone line there?

I did of course. Contacted them nearly a month ago and they sent networks guys out to install a new line. Instead of installing a completely new line, they tapped into a fairly ancient two core line that was coming from the telephone pole across the road to the house (the old cable that was coming to the house but cut just outside and the networks guys just put a joining box onto that and connected the wires using small transparent connectors that have a jelly substance in them).

They also gave me a new number and have not transferred over the old number (if that would make a difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

ED E wrote: »
    Wouldnt be surprised if its direct feed. That or he just needs an appointment to be patched over at the cab.

And how would you arrange one of these appointments?

So assuming at this stage that I might be fed directly from an exchange, are there any options? Is it possible to get a new phone line but from the cabinet just down the road instead?

Manc Red wrote: »
    And how would you arrange one of these appointments?

With a fibre order and a callback from them to get a fibre installer out.

In the OPs case they arent able to sell him fibre so they're sending a tech to see why. The tech will be able to determine what pair he's on and where it comes from. If it is from a fibre cab they can try and get it up to spec so that it will pass a fibre prequal. If its on an old cab with no upgraded fibre cab beside it, that means waiting. If its direct fed to the exchange thats limbo.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    With a fibre order and a callback from them to get a fibre installer out.

In the OPs case they arent able to sell him fibre so they're sending a tech to see why. The tech will be able to determine what pair he's on and where it comes from. If it is from a fibre cab they can try and get it up to spec so that it will pass a fibre prequal. If its on an old cab with no upgraded fibre cab beside it, that means waiting. If its direct fed to the exchange thats limbo.

I'm in a fibre area and I can't get efibre even though my neighbours can get it. I would love to get an engineer out to sort it but I was never offered a call out by an engineer as to why I couldn't get it. The cabinet is 300 meters road length away.

Also regarding the issue here, getting 3.5 Mb download sounds like the broadband is coming from around 3-4km away. I would be interested to know if you get moved to a nearer cabinet which I have been told is not possible.

I'm in a fibre area and I can't get efibre even though my neighbours can get it. I would love to get an engineer out to sort it but I was never offered a call out by an engineer as to why I couldn't get it. The cabinet is 300 meters road length away.

Also regarding the issue here, getting 3.5 Mb download sounds like the broadband is coming from around 3-4km away. I would be interested to know if you get moved to a nearer cabinet which I have been told is not possible.

It's not possible if you are fed from the exchange directly.

Who is your broadband provider?

crawler wrote: »
    It's not possible if you are fed from the exchange directly.

Who is your broadband provider?

I'm not fed from the exchange. Eircom.

I'm not fed from the exchange. Eircom.

Then the good folks in eircom should be able to give you a go-live date for the cabinet or tell you why you cant get VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not fed from the exchange

how do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

So assuming at this stage that I might be fed directly from an exchange, are there any options? Is it possible to get a new phone line but from the cabinet just down the road instead?
    Just on this point. If you are directly connected to the exchange what are your options for broadband. Do you need to order a new line? I only ask as I may have this issue in 2mths when fibre comes to my area.

crawler wrote: »
    Then the good folks in eircom should be able to give you a go-live date for the cabinet or tell you why you cant get VDSL.

All the cabinets in the area are live. It's due to distance. We need to move to a closer cabinet. The closest being 300 meters.

loyatemu wrote: »
    how do you know?

We were told be an eircom engineer who was fixing our line. He was able to tell us the exact cabinet we are on.

I'm betting on it that we won't be upgraded this year either. Eircom don't appear to have resolution for customers like ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@manc - I can't follow this - you are either connected to a particular cabinet (and from there to the exchange) or you are connected to the exchange directly - period.

You can't ask to be connected to another cabinet without running a cable pair from your house to that particular cabinet. Your existing line runs either overground or underground to a specific copper cabinet, which is in turn linked to a VDSL cabinet.

fat-tony wrote: »
    @manc - I can't follow this - you are either connected to a particular cabinet (and from there to the exchange) or you are connected to the exchange directly - period.

You can't ask to be connected to another cabinet without running a cable pair from your house to that particular cabinet. Your existing line runs either overground or underground to a specific copper cabinet, which is in turn linked to a VDSL cabinet.

This is the issue. We were told be the eircom engineer that because a new estate runs directly across the bottom of our lane that we could be reconnected fairly easily. The problem is eircom don't provide for these situations so the engineer couldn't do it.

It'd be great if I could contact a regional manager and get a definite answer as to what we could do but it appears eircom don't provide that level of customer access. At any rate, I don't think we'll be getting it anytime soon.

• Advertisement

There was never a need to swap a customer from one cab to another until VDSL arrived. The process doesnt exist in their workflows.

Eircom techs are wholesale employees, they dont deal with end users bar the visits to fix a line. To get an official response you'd need to have your ISP escalate up their chain to wholesale.

Advertisement