Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My health Insurance increased 73%

Options
  • 19-02-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I am going to follow this up with Laya but my renewal form cam and increased

from 1030 .00 to 1780.00 !!!

The government levy increased buy 49.00
    The Direct Debit "Credit Charge" increased by 24.45

but where did the 683.00 come from 39% increased - I might have expected 10-20

Any clues would be great (Like I said I will follow up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I am going to follow this up with Laya but my renewal form cam and increased

from 1030 .00 to 1780.00 !!!

The government levy increased buy 49.00
    The Direct Debit "Credit Charge" increased by 24.45

but where did the 683.00 come from 39% increased - I might have expected 10-20

Any clues would be great (Like I said I will follow up)

Also my renewal is 1st march but i recall hearing some where I have a few weeks after that to review - I can't locate the detail on HIA site if any one knows more precisely ? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Laya have increased their plans multiple times in the last year, most recently a couple of weeks ago. On that occasion some of their plans were increased by 40%.

http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switching/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

The only way to avoid the increases is to get yourself on a new customer package by switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

If your renewal is March the first just cancel your current plan towards the end of the month and take out a new plan before the month ends to avoid the price increasr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

LostArt wrote: »
    If your renewal is March the first just cancel your current plan towards the end of the month and take out a new plan before the month ends to avoid the price increasr

100% agree. I rang them, ended up changing to a similar (new) package but commencing 1 month earlier, and no joke it was about 60% of my renewal. (2 adults and 2 kids). But it took 2 phone calls both advising I intended leaving, for them to come up with this. Following 1st phone call, lots of research of plans (probably 4 hours over 2 days), and felt we could get a better deal with same provider, which turned out to be correct. Confirmed on 2nd phone call. Lost Mater (non cardiac procedures), but gained Beacon in changing plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Can you switch insurance companies even if you have had claims with the current one? Went really ill last year, and have had several operations and hospital stays (came back yesterday from the latest ones), which they have covered.

Or am i forced to use the same insurance company for life now?

No, you can switch if you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

No, you can switch if you want to

And the new insurance company will cover my existing condition aswell?

Yes, they can only apply waiting periods if you go to plans with better cover

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't forget you've lost all tax relief (20%) on the portion of the policy in excess of €1000 since the last budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

Don't forget you've lost all tax relief (20%) on the portion of the policy in excess of €1000 since the last budget.

And the Levy has not increased by €49. That's the latest increase - they also increased on 31st March last year so If you last renewed you're policy on 1st Match 2013 then the levy has effectively increased from €285 to €399 for you - an increase of €114.

This is on top of charging your insurance company for a private bed even if you only get a public bed which is going to have a massive knock on effect to prices.

Definitely have a look at other plans but it's no surprise prices are increasing. And increasing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

thanks

Does any one know the specifics of the "cooling off period" or whatever it is called my renewal is 1st March so it is getting close

I know there is a period of time I can reconsider etc without having to worry about taking a new plan with a new Kuwaiti period (on pre exisiting
    conditions etc) but i can't find the specifics

At same time i am trying to calculate is it better to keep a lower plan or just exist altogether and put the cost to a saving fund instead

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In the same boat, my policy up 62% taking into account the increase in premium and reduction in tax relief.

My renewal is April, even more confusing is that the prices on the website are today's quotes, you can't get an accurate price for a future renewal date, so very hard to compare different plans against your current.

I saved the guts of €1000 on a 2 adult/2 child policy by switching from my current plan (which I've been on for about a decade with Bupa and then Quinn). As suggested above, ring them and push them to search out different plans for you. Eventually I moved to a plan which has better overall cover (certainly for every day medical expenses like GPs etc.) for almost a grand cheaper.

Still more than I was paying last year, but there's no way to escape the general increases. I'm now up around 25% on last year compared with 62%, with a slight improvement in cover.

Have to say though I think the whole industry is a disgrace. Laya can blame Reilly and co. all they want, and while there is of course some degree of blame there for increases, no way is that the reason for this scandalous increases like 50, 60, even 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Have you compared your policy on the www.hia.ie website to see if you can get a better deal with similar cover.

Are you aware that you can purchase a company plan however you will not be offered it by any of the Companies.
    Laya Total Health Complete seems to be good value however not sure how much it will increase tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Just like op my policy went from @ €1100 to €1700 - renewal was due I march 1st but I have let it lapse - I'm seriously thinking of opting out of private cover as it's become unaffordable

Anyone else giving up?

Advertisement