Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JNLR Day .. Jan 2013-Jan 2014

• 30-01-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

So the day that's like getting your leaving cert results (except 4 times a year) for radio folks has rolled around again... JNLR day.

I'm guessing not much has changed... FM104 still number one local in Dublin, 98FM levelling out, national stations still slightly creeping back against the locals, RTÉ still dominating the top 20 most listened to shows list, regionals (iradio, beat, etc.) continuing to perform well... no major shocks, I'd say - and not much really to talk about except for a few jumps/drops in specific show figures.

[edit]: forgot to say... also, the IBI are bound to issue a press release heralding it as another great victory for the independents over RTÉ, praising local stations to the ends of the earth, attacking the TV license fee and calling for 2FM to be privatised, sold, melted down, shot, beaten up, etc. etc.

What are your thoughts/predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I am going to be incredibly bold - fortune favours the brave - and predict that Kenny will not surpass 150 k listeners i.e. about 70k up on last JNLRs, which only covered a month of his tenure at Newstalk. The extra listeners will be primarily stay-ons from NT Breakfast, so O'Rourke will lose no more than ten percent. I have stocked up on eggs, and readied my face, for later today. :)

Also, Tubridy to lose yet more listeners (how couldn't he with the breakfast slot being such a shambles?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can hardly contain myself!

2FM down in Dublin
    NT up in the mid morning slot seems a fair prediction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Plenty of tabloid headline fodder for Sean O' Rourke and Pat Kenny even though any changes in their numbers will be marginal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

any news?

any news?

There's an embargo on their release till 5pm.

To keep you entertained, quote from 2FM head, Dan Healy:

"Ryan Tubridy had the most difficult job in the history of radio. (following death of Gerry Ryan) You could have put Jesus Christ in that slot and the figures would have dropped. It's as simple as that. Tubridy did an extraordinary job - he helped stabilise 2fm after Gerry's death."

Even Jesus couldn't have followed in Gerry Ryan's shoes, says 2fm's boss | Irish Independent

Do you think Gerry Ryan will be talked about as one of the greats in Irish broadcasting in years to come?

• Advertisement

There's an embargo on their release till 5pm.

To keep you entertained, quote from 2FM head, Dan Healy:

"Ryan Tubridy had the most difficult job in the history of radio. (following death of Gerry Ryan) You could have put Jesus Christ in that slot and the figures would have dropped. It's as simple as that. Tubridy did an extraordinary job - he helped stabilise 2fm after Gerry's death."

Even Jesus couldn't have followed in Gerry Ryan's shoes, says 2fm's boss | Irish Independent

Do you think Gerry Ryan will be talked about as one of the greats in Irish broadcasting in years to come?
    I think the evidence is damning for tubs.....you would expect a sharp drop after gerry died.....but you would expect the show to compete and slowly regain the market....not to drop and drop and drop

I think the evidence is damning for tubs.....you would expect a sharp drop after gerry died.....but you would expect the show to compete and slowly regain the market....not to drop and drop and drop

Well, his show just got a sponsorship deal, and they will have been buying into the presenter, so I think he's safe - at least for another few surveys. I agree that he has done horrifically - down 50% on Gerry Ryan's '10 figure. However, his decline has been in-line with 2FM's. Ofc, he has contributed to that decline, but I think there's more to it than that the nation hates Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Well, his show just got a sponsorship deal, and they will have been buying into the presenter, so I think he's safe - at least for another few surveys. I agree that he has done horrifically - down 50% on Gerry Ryan's '10 figure. However, his decline has been in-line with 2FM's. Ofc, he has contributed to that decline, but I think there's more to it than that the nation hates Tubs.

To be fair though, is that not slightly inaccurate, they reduced the show by an hour, so his figures are 3hrs vs. 2hrs, so that automatically is a 33% drop, no?

To do some rough numbers (these will be crude, just for example)

Supposing the show reaches 80k people an hour.

3h show - 240k
    2h show - 160k

Something I'm missing here?

if the show was good people would tune in....it's not good so they don;t....

if the show was good people would tune in....it's not good so they don;t....

My point is that if he had simply kept the three hour slot instead of two hour slot he wouldn't have "lost" nearly so many listeners...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sounds like Dan Healy is getting the excuses in first, just in case Tubs's figures drop again :rolleyes:

How 2FM is still broadcasting is beyond me. 2FM is a relic from a bygone era. It should be closed down or sold off.

Greyham wrote: »
    To be fair though, is that not slightly inaccurate, they reduced the show by an hour, so his figures are 3hrs vs. 2hrs, so that automatically is a 33% drop, no?

To do some rough numbers (these will be crude, just for example)

Supposing the show reaches 80k people an hour.

3h show - 240k
    2h show - 160k

Something I'm missing here?

AFAIK, and blue4ever can clarify this, the listener figure is the average of all the quarter-hour segments.

AFAIK, and blue4ever can clarify this, the listener figure is the average of all the quarter-hour segments.

No no, I understand that, but my point is that surely if you are on air for less time you are going to reach less people?

A show with 3 hours of airtime to reach people is going to have more ears tuning in at some point than a show with 2 hours of airtime to reach people?

No no, I understand that, but my point is that surely if you are on air for less time you are going to reach less people?

A show with 3 hours of airtime to reach people is going to have more ears tuning in at some point than a show with 2 hours of airtime to reach people?
    i don't think many people listen to a full show?

i don't think many people listen to a full show?

Exactly, some people might listen to a show from 11:00 to 11:20, some might listen from 9:00-9:15, but the longer you are on air the more people can dip in and out of your show and count towards the overall figure.

aren't jnlrs more of a survey? ie they ask you what you what you listen to?

aren't jnlrs more of a survey? ie they ask you what you what you listen to?

No, they ask you what you listen to based on quarter hour periods. So what I'm saying is valid in this context of discussion.

They ask you what time you listened to the radio at, the longer someone is on air the more chance they have of being heard and having their show counted towards an extra listener

Exactly, some people might listen to a show from 11:00 to 11:20, some might listen from 9:00-9:15, but the longer you are on air the more people can dip in and out of your show and count towards the overall figure.

Sorry, I see your point. And, I think I remember that the JNLR figure for a programme that everyone quotes is "the reach", i.e. number of people who tuned in for at least eight minutes of a fifteen-minute block. I suppose, for a programme like Morning Ireland, that may be significant, but I wonder does not Tubridy's listenership stay quite static.

Again, I'm somewhat out-of-my-depth here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not a direct linear relationship though.

MYOB wrote: »
    It's not a direct linear relationship though.

I know it's not, but it's still very relevant.

When people say "The show went from X figure to Y" it is very innacurate to quote it without accounting for the drop of 33% of output/airtime in the form of loosing an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Both MYOB and Greyham are right. It is indeed not a linear relationship between length of show and listenership figure (as quoted by the JNLR) but the point of a longer show having more potential 1/4 hour segments (or 1/2 hour at night) is still relevant.

In terms of Pat v Sean, I wouldn't expect major shifts this book. New programmes tend to take 3 or even 4 books to filter through in a meaningful way. We may get some indication of trends though. Pat's figure will inevitably go up given that the timeslot was coming from such a low base but the figure of real interest will be the transfer from Sean to Pat (or not). If Radio 1 can keep the loss of numbers to Newstalk down then that will be a success for them.

An hour now to publication and to come back to Bard's predictions I would imagine some gains for Newstalk and 4FM, although the 4FM gains still look like being quite small and more bad news for 98 and Phantom. Interesting to see how 2FM get on. All will be revealed in the press releases at 5pm. I'll have a look at the book when I get it tonight and do up some thoughts in the next day or two.

New programmes tend to take 3 or even 4 books to filter through in a meaningful way.

From a statistical point of view, or because it takes time for listeners to settle? Surely, when there is as significant a publicity drive as there was for Kenny, that required period would be reduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

No, they ask you what you listen to based on quarter hour periods. So what I'm saying is valid in this context of discussion.

They ask you what time you listened to the radio at, the longer someone is on air the more chance they have of being heard and having their show counted towards an extra listener

I think the figures you gave as an example in your original post are the reach figures i.e. the number of people who had the opportunity to hear an ad on that programme on an average day. It doesn't matter how long they were listening. Gerry Ryan's figures would have included those who had only tuned in after 11, whereas Tubridy's doesn't. So the show being an hour less would have explained some of( but not all of)the initial drop off, but not most of the subsequent ones. Tubs reign has still been a disaster though no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

G’day All!

Usual quarterly outpourings based on the JNLR (2013 Q4) http://goo.gl/CXQQGw. Year on year the landscape is more or less the same with a few variations on the theme.

There are plenty of figures, and like two people looking at art, you can all draw your own individual conclusions.

My takes to highlight here would be (there are plenty – but limited to three here)

a) Dublin listenership seems to be in a terminal decline and the ‘youth’ stations are struggling in the capital in this (and previous surveys).

b) The top 30 leader board of programmes is a nearly must have (and a pain in the arse to compile). Some winners and some losers. Only five of the contestants managed to increase their listenership by +10% over the year - so “bula bus” as one of those five would have said, have he not been canned – Hector, I mean. Strange decision!

c) Newstalk: well they threw the kitchen sink at it and Pat Kenny and it lok as if it will pay dividends. But a few week back I began to think how he might do and (here one I made earlier and filled in the figures) there’s a bit of a thought provoking model (Excel Model!) here http://goo.gl/Q9FFRW that if nothing else is food for thought. Mathematically sound, just need some speculation. (Saw Mr Mr Pseudon estimate of PK's number earlier - this will give you a few minutes of a laugh)

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

So Hector was up 12% and the muppets in 2FM management fire him. Tubridy is down 8% and the muppets keep him on. Institutionalised failure?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jmcc wrote: »
    So Hector was up 12% and the muppets in 2FM management fire him. Tubridy is down 8% and the muppets keep him on. Institutionalised failure?

Regards...jmcc

So what will 2fm say to spin this one ? So hector increases his listenership and has been the only one firred on 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any word on off the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

From FM104

JNLKR-FEB-640W.jpg

Deedsie wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Deedsie wrote: »

From Newstalk website :

According to the figures, Newstalk now reaches a record 315,000 listeners daily.
    Newstalk Breakfast have 126,000 listeners daily - an increase in 5,000 listeners on the last book.
    Meanwhile The Pat Kenny Show has 96,000 listeners daily, which is an impressive 18,000 increase in listeners on the last book.
    Moncrieff has 112,000 listeners per day, which represents an increase of 17,000 year on year.
    The Right Hook has meanwhile maintained a strong position with 130,000 listeners daily, and Off the Ball has 43,000 listeners - an increase of 4,000 year on year.

Im genuinely surprised at the OTB figure

heybaby wrote: »

Yep, it's a hard one to explain alright. No accounting for other people's taste, I suppose. Although, OTB now includes the two weekend shows as well. So how does that work JNLR-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pb Eso

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Yep, it's a hard one to explain alright. No accounting for other people's taste, I suppose. Although, OTB now includes the two weekend shows as well. So how does that work JNLR-wise?

The Key question is whether this figure is

comparing off the ball weeknights now vs off the ball weeknights 1 year ago

or

off the ball week nights and weekends (now) vs off the ball (weeknights only) one year ago?

Would anyone on here know the answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The today fm website is saying that Ian Dempsey, Matt cooper, louise duffy, Colm o Sullivan, Paul mcloone and premier league live have increased their listenership figures.

Pb Eso wrote: »

or

off the ball week nights and weekends (now) vs off the ball (weeknights only) one year ago?

In the figs I posted earlier - its M-F 2013 Vs M-F 2012 - a level playing surface if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Anyone have the link please?

• Advertisement

blue4ever wrote: »

Wow, the jump for "Marty in the Morning" is enormous. 41%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Pb Eso wrote: »

or

To be honest those kind of figures don't matter too much at the moment, it's just for sales and marketing purposes really, stations would get a proper breakdown of daily listenership that they pay for, i'm sure someone on here has a more detailed breakdown.

soc160 wrote: »
    To be honest those kind of figures don't matter too much at the moment, it's just for sales and marketing purposes really, stations would get a proper breakdown of daily listenership that they pay for, i'm sure someone on here has a more detailed breakdown.

Just for Sales..? the life blood of a station (unless you're RTE). Can't understand were you are coming from and there is no daily update. #smacksface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

So aside from OTB & lunchtime,Pat Kenny is the least popular show on NT.

Is 96,000 much of a difference over what Tom Dunne was getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

So aside from OTB & lunchtime,Pat Kenny is the least popular show on NT.

Is 96,000 much of a difference over what Tom Dunne was getting?

Check out the following link (following on from the above link from blue4ever):

It speculates that PK could have as many as 172,000 listeners!!:eek:

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/pat-kenny-s-potential-audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Wow, the jump for "Marty in the Morning" is enormous. 41%

I love listening to Marty!!! He doesn't take himself too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

soc160 wrote: »

Until recently stations were not allowed disclose that level of detail,only in the last week has this requirement changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

heybaby wrote: »
    From Newstalk website :

According to the figures, Newstalk now reaches a record 315,000 listeners daily.
    Newstalk Breakfast have 126,000 listeners daily - an increase in 5,000 listeners on the last book.
    Meanwhile The Pat Kenny Show has 96,000 listeners daily, which is an impressive 18,000 increase in listeners on the last book.
    Moncrieff has 112,000 listeners per day, which represents an increase of 17,000 year on year.
    The Right Hook has meanwhile maintained a strong position with 130,000 listeners daily, and Off the Ball has 43,000 listeners - an increase of 4,000 year on year.

May have something to do with the collapse in listenership for Arena on R1, people desperate for any sort of talk radio alternative that time of the evening?

Intriguing how numbers across all stations fall off the cliff at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Intriguing how numbers across all stations fall off the cliff at 7.

Partly because the majority of commuting listeners have gotten home by then, partly because TV's and ovens go on at home and partly because stations tend to broadcast shows with a less broad audience.

Just for Sales..? the life blood of a station (unless you're RTE). Can't understand were you are coming from and there is no daily update. #smacksface

You keep smacking your face there. What I mean those figures aren't exactly what people here want, the OTB weekend figures should be separate alright. I know sales are important, but we aren't the selling sponsorship for Newstalk here so there's no need to act the smart arse. Stations can get a breakdown of average listenership per hour, so they know on average how many people are listening at 6pm and 6am, using that they can figure out how many listeners are tuning in at different times and work out how many people listen on Thursday night and Sunday during a live game... Those figures would be more relevant to people here rather than they amalgamated figures we get this way.

#smacksface #smacksface-in-a-smartarse-way.

How could you collect those statistics/numbers - seriously how?

#smacksface #smacksface-in-a-smartarse-way.

How could you collect those statistics/numbers - seriously how?

They ask people what they listen to each quarter hour for a day.

they do - thats how the numbers are collected

Here's N/T over the last three years by 1/4 hours. The industry really cant do much better?

• Advertisement
Advertisement