Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen IPOD

Options
  • 01-03-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Folks, would really appreciate some advice here.

I was in a well known City Centre Dublin Pub on Fri 19th Feb and somebody lifted my jacket off our seats and took it home.

They knew it wasn't their jacket but their own had been taken and they were cold (god bless them). I had a fairly new IPOD classic in the pocket among a few other things and my work ID. When I realised my jacket was gone I reported it to the bouncers and they took my name/number and said they would call me if it turned up. I heard nothing.

On the following Monday I called them to ask if anything had been handed in, described what was in the jacket and was told nothing there.

On Friday 26th Feb, I got a letter from the guy who had taken my jacket wanting to swap mine for his, I didn't have his. He posted it to the address on my work ID. I called him and he said in the letter that he had given in all my belongings including the IPOD to the pub staff before he left (which was around the same time as me). I'm arranging to get the coat back from him.

I called the manager of the pub and he denies being given the IPOD by the guy but he has everything else there including the earphones for the IPOD. All I got from him was a bad attitude.

I'm getting nowhere fast with this, The guy that took my jacket knows he shouldn't have taken it but seems genuine and I believe him that he handed in the IPOD, after all if he took the IPOD he wouldn't have written me a letter with his Home Address and Tel No. on it. I think one of the staff of the pub has it.

I was advised to go to the Gardai and have reported it but the Guard i was taking to didn't give me much confidence that I'd get the IPOD back?

Can anyone advise on what other action I can take? Small Claims Court etc that I may be able to take? is the pub liable as they accepted the property for safe-keeping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 seanog_1981

Thanks,

I'm really trying to get at, as this guy is willing to state that the IPOD was handed in and this may be captured on CCTV, is the pub liable?

Just hate the thought of somebody gettin away with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you should just put it down to experience, don't take your ipod with you on a night out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks,

I'm really trying to get at, as this guy is willing to state that the IPOD was handed in and this may be captured on CCTV, is the pub liable?

Just hate the thought of somebody gettin away with it

I'm sure if you could get cctv footage then yes, they would be liable, correct me if I'm wrong people. I'm just not sure how you would get cctv though if its so long after the event and you are dealing with an unhelpful manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So you're going to trust the person who stole your jacket, but not the manager of the pub? That seems a little strange to me. I doubt there's anything you can do. The jacket was stolen, which is not the pubs fault. Whether the items were handed in or not is largely irrelevant. Someone stole the jacket, and what they did with the items is their responsibility, not the pub's or it's employees.

If you get in touch with the person who stole your jacket, hold him responsible for the loss of items.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. This guy took your coat - he is the person you should be demanding compensation from.

The pub have no responsibility here, he doesn't have a receipt for anything he handed in. This man stole your coat and belongings. How can you believe anything he says?

Go back to him and demand compensation for the Ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And sorry to be a spoilsport, but you left valuable in a jacket in a place that was obviously unattended (i.e. someone could take it without your knowledge). Would you leave money lying around some where etc? I think unfortunately you should put it down to experience.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SeanOg You should not create duplicate threads on Boards. As you have a thread in Legal Discussion, I am going to close this one.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement