Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Credit Card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

I got declined even though I have no outstanding loans , earn a decent figure and always paid utility bills

Can't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

dario28 wrote: »
    I got declined even though I have no outstanding loans , earn a decent figure and always paid utility bills

Can't understand it

My only suggestion is to request your credit history from the ICB (costs about 6 euro and can be done online). You might (like me) find that there is incorrect information stored about you. For instance on my report it showed that I had two "open" Halifax credit card accounts even though I had none. This was due to Halifax not updating the records correctly and not closing off accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

I have been approved and sent off my documents on Thursday. Does anyone know roughly when I'll receive the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Reviving an old thread here so apologies but...

I'm one of the Danske switchers and had an 8.5K credit limit with them, never got close to it thankfully. I applied to Tesco and got a miserly 1K limit which is killing me. I've called them twice now to try and appeal to get this increased but the lads in customer care just trot out the company line i.e. no reviews until after first 12 mths.

Does anybody know is there another number one can contact (or an email address)?

My card is useless after about 2 weeks and even sending money to it does not seem to make a difference i.e. I need to wait until last bill is paid before I can use it again. I want to continue using them (for clubcard points) but unless they bump the credit limit I'll be forced to get a second card.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Reviving an old thread here so apologies but...

I'm one of the Danske switchers and had an 8.5K credit limit with them, never got close to it thankfully. I applied to Tesco and got a miserly 1K limit which is killing me. I've called them twice now to try and appeal to get this increased but the lads in customer care just trot out the company line i.e. no reviews until after first 12 mths.

Does anybody know is there another number one can contact (or an email address)?

My card is useless after about 2 weeks and even sending money to it does not seem to make a difference i.e. I need to wait until last bill is paid before I can use it again. I want to continue using them (for clubcard points) but unless they bump the credit limit I'll be forced to get a second card.

I had the same problem a few years ago, I was attracted to the cash back as nearly everything I spend goes on the card. If you can spend the x4 deals this works out as a really nice perk. To be honest I think you are better off having a second card in any case, I found the Tesco security very conservative and they may block your card leaving you stranded. I travel a bit so I feel more comfortable having a backup in case some fraud analyst decides to cut me off without notice. They definitely will not increase the limit but after 12 months if you keep using it they probably will. So far I've got nearly 1k in 'cashback' (using the x4 deals) so thats why I've put up with the inconvenience.

Lack of online banking is the main reason why I would close the account if I do decide to in the future.

• Advertisement

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I had the same problem a few years ago, I was attracted to the cash back as nearly everything I spend goes on the card. If you can spend the x4 deals this works out as a really nice perk. To be honest I think you are better off having a second card in any case, I found the Tesco security very conservative and they may block your card leaving you stranded. I travel a bit so I feel more comfortable having a backup in case some fraud analyst decides to cut me off without notice. They definitely will not increase the limit but after 12 months if you keep using it they probably will. So far I've got nearly 1k in 'cashback' (using the x4 deals) so thats why I've put up with the inconvenience.

Lack of online banking is the main reason why I would close the account if I do decide to in the future.

Many thanks... the only consolation is that the debit cards now carry the 'credit card provider's' badge i.e. Visa in my case, so should the actual Tesco credit card fail us we have that as backup. But I agree the ultra low limit and no online prescence is a pain.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I use mine for all my fuel and online purchases. I do find it annoying not being able to see my transactions online a pain however. I have a 2k limit on mine (from the start?) and I obviously don't spend half as much as you guys on my bill!

MarkR wrote: »
    I use mine for all my fuel and online purchases. I do find it annoying not being able to see my transactions online a pain however. I have a 2k limit on mine (from the start?) and I obviously don't spend half as much as you guys on my bill!

We'd use ours for everything if we could... we've always used a credit card to help us budget/plan spending. But 1K limit ain't large enough. A single large purchase on the card eg. flight(s) means it cannot be used again for a month minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I agree their fraud protection is not great. I know it is supposed to help us, but I shop a lot on Internet and few days ago I spend money online on pages in Switzerland, Netherlands, France and here in Ireland - next day I go to Tesco and transaction was refused. So it is good to have back up but I got a lot back on clubcard, double on electricity so it means 1% cashback ..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

We did 0% balance transfer with them about 6 months ago - cleared balance so happy out.
    Find not able to look at transactions on line a right pain - As main holder is my husband he has to phone to get balance etc until today he asked and they are sending out a form to fill in, so they will give me 'minimum' information...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I have had my Tesco cc for 13 mths now, with 1k limit and that is too low.. Called them, and they declined the credit limit increase.. Have an excellent credit history, no other loans etc.. they just told me that they need to see 6 mths more activity in the account etc, and told me to apply for an increase again after 6mths... :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have always found getting on the phone during an application helps,
    If you get talking to an underwriter its much easier. The only problems I found with Tesco CC application was they were OTT with the ID process.
    Had to send a scan of my passport & DL 3 times. Even though all were clearly legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Ive a 9k limit with danske. 6k balance. I applied few weeks to tesco, asked for a 6k balance transfer, got approved for 1.5k limit, rang and queried them why isnt it higher, "well based on your application thats all we can approve".

applied to tsb, sure, 6k it is. 0% transfer fees.

methinks tesco only want to dip their toe in the market and get people to use their card in the shops, so its only a pretend visa.

Ive a 9k limit with danske. 6k balance. I applied few weeks to tesco, asked for a 6k balance transfer, got approved for 1.5k limit, rang and queried them why isnt it higher, "well based on your application thats all we can approve".

methinks tesco only want to dip their toe in the market and get people to use their card in the shops, so its only a pretend visa.

Yeah... I might be 'forced' to goto PTSB too. Like u had great limit in Danske but Tesco being tight as F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I went to BoI asking for 500e loan (just to start my credit history) and it was refused. Overdraft in AIB? Refused .. applied in Tesco and got 2k limit, which I didn't hope for. Now all my expenses go through this card, i'm getting clubcard points and paying it on time (and if possible in full) every month. I couldn't be happier with it ..

Advertisement