Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wife pregnant. Now what?

• 24-06-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My wife is 95% sure she is pregnant. We are doing the test today. Although the pregnancy is planned, the planning stage didn't get much beyond the conception stage tbh. Neither of us have friends or family with kids and we're frightening clueless about the whole process. :o
    Assuming it's positive, what next? I suppose we need to see a GP ASAP. How often do we need to do hospital/doctor things during the pregnancy?
    She is 38 so there may be difficulties ahead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Go to see a Gp to get it confimed would be next.
    The fact that she's 38 is nothing to really worry to much about - just got to take good care of her and get good advice from the docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All that that will be dealt with when you visit your GP - there is a system in place. My sister gave birth for the first (and last!) time at 37. It went fine.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

congrats!
    I think we all started out pretty clueless but don't worry you'll figure it all out as you go along! I would say go along to the GP for a start and take it from there. He/ she will explain the whole process to you and start the paperwork ball rolling. In general your wife will be seen once a month but for the first while it's one month GP visit and the next month hospital appt and so on until later stages when it's once a fortnight. Her age doesn't necessarily mean that difficulties are inevitable. My friend just sailed through her first pregnancy at 38 with twins so try not to worry too much about it!

Buy a book but remember no matter how clueless you think you are, within half an hour of your baby being born no one else will be able to hold and care for your baby quite as well as you do!;)

ETA... oh and my experience has been that some GPs actually don't confirm the pregnancy... they just take your word for it if you've had a positive pregnancy test and no period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

littlebug wrote: »

ETA... oh and my experience has been that some GPs actually don't confirm the pregnancy... they just take your word for it if you've had a positive pregnancy test and no period.

I wish my Gp was like that! He took a pregnancy test in the office and told me it was negative! I cried all the way home and then done another 5 pregnancy tests and rang him to give out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I wish my Gp was like that! He took a pregnancy test in the office and told me it was negative! I cried all the way home and then done another 5 pregnancy tests and rang him to give out!!

Jeepers! That's horrible. Mine just said congratulations and didn't do a test. I'd done 4 as I couldn't believe it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Firstly, congratulations if the results are positive. If negative, keep practicing! ;) Myself & Mrs Billy found ourselves in the same boat. Decided to start trying & lo-&-behold hit the bulls-eye straight away.

As previous posters have said, your GP should be able to walk you through the next steps & who you'll need to make appointments with & when. If your GP can't do that - get a new one.

As for advice & not having friends & family with kids - didn't your parents have both of you? Talk to your parents about it.

At the end of the day, the "process" is still the same, just the formalities of seeing what doc & when may have changed. If there are specific questions that you have - the good folk in this forum will help as best they can.

It is a challenging, but very, very exciting time. Sit back & enjoy the ride. Best of luck mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Congratulations!!!

As previous posters have said going to the GP first is important. You will have to decide which hospital you want to book with and level of care ie private, semi private or public and if you want combi care (where you go to half your appointments at hospital and half at GP). Its a good idea to familiarise yourself with what to expect from the pregnancy especially early pregnancy as you probably won't have a hospital appointment until 12 or 13 weeks. There is a huge amount of information thats going to come your way and its quite overwhelming if you take it all on at once. Take your time getting to grips with it and remember there is a huge network of people there to help you with all the info right up to when you take baby home.

If your wife has to give up anything ie smoking or drinking etc it could be a nice idea if you did that with her but not completely necessary. The main thing is to be as supportive as possible and give her some more extra attention as she will be feeling physically up and down and emotionally up and down.

Breathe!!! Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

also go out and have fun!!! cause in a few months a whole new life awaits!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Thanks for the replies everybody. As expected, the pregnancy test was positive (yay! :D). We are going to see the GP this afternoon. Fingers crossed they are a good one.
    We are both very reassured to hear about the all babies born to 'older' women. We've also bought a book to try and get our heads round all this. Very, very bewildering :p
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Myself & Mrs Billy found ourselves in the same boat. Decided to start trying & lo-&-behold hit the bulls-eye straight away.

Same here. Expected it to take a while but we were only trying for a couple of months. Luckier than many people.

Definite congratulations there KB. The very best of luck to you & Mrs KB.

On the age side of things - I forgot to mention that Nana Billy was 48 when she had my youngest brother. (Not planned & came as quite a surprise to us all! :D) They were both fine. As a matter of fact he's a rather exceptional teenager now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Congrats we were all thron in at the ddep end but we all survived.Look after her and hope everything goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Congratulations!
    And don't worry in the slightest - you lives will return to normal about the time your wife turns 59 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Definite congratulations there KB. The very best of luck to you & Mrs KB.

On the age side of things - I forgot to mention that Nana Billy was 48 when she had my youngest brother.

Thanks very much. We are both delighted. Nervous, but in a good way. 48? :eek: Then there's still hope I'll get that football team I always wanted. :)
    marti101 wrote: »
    Congrats we were all thron in at the ddep end but we all survived.Look after her and hope everything goes well

Definitely will. Always told myself I'd be the best dad ever. Now the moment of truth is here I'll be making a determined effort.
    Congratulations!
    And don't worry in the slightest - you lives will return to normal about the time your wife turns 59 ;)

Gulp. Putting it that way I may settle for a tennis doubles rather than a football team.

We were at the GP where he confirmed the pregnancy. I was a bit disappointed that now we have quite a wait until the first hospital appointment. It will be at the Lourdes in Drogheda and apparently they are that busy now it may be at the 12 weeks stage before we see anybody. We are keen to check everything is okay. Do they do a scan at the first hospital appointment?

KBarry wrote: »
    Then there's still hope I'll get that football team I always wanted. :)
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. But I was young, foolish & childless at the time. :) I have two lads now & the want of a full team has been knocked out of me trying to keep up with the pair of them. :o We may try for a girl, but that'll be the end of it. Definitely! (Well, maybe...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Hi all,
    My wife is 95% sure she is pregnant. We are doing the test today. Although the pregnancy is planned, the planning stage didn't get much beyond the conception stage tbh. Neither of us have friends or family with kids and we're frightening clueless about the whole process. :o
    Assuming it's positive, what next? I suppose we need to see a GP ASAP. How often do we need to do hospital/doctor things during the pregnancy?
    She is 38 so there may be difficulties ahead.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread and I know this has nothing to do with the issue at hand but just thought you may want to know that you mad it into a google ad!

Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Genius.

LOL at your username :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

We were at the GP where he confirmed the pregnancy. I was a bit disappointed that now we have quite a wait until the first hospital appointment. It will be at the Lourdes in Drogheda and apparently they are that busy now it may be at the 12 weeks stage before we see anybody. We are keen to check everything is okay. Do they do a scan at the first hospital appointment?

yes, they should scan her at 12 weeks and again at around 20 weeks (which is when they can tell you whether it's a boy or girl ;))

Advertisement