Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities you'd never return to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hate Dublin. And all the things Rambo waxed lyrical about in Dublin are things you can get in almost any city. Dublin isn't this wonderland of "craic" it seems to think it is.

It's an overpriced dump.

The ignorance!!!

Islands, beaches, unique habitat wild life reserves, wetlands, all beside or easily accessible from the city, not to mention the huge parks, free museums and galleries. Not many cities can offer you that. Lots and lots of things are very cheap in Dublin if you do a bit of research and look before you leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I lived in southern germany for a while, worked there 2 summers and went back to do my erasmus year I loved it so much. Lots of germans I met loved ireland and many had visited - generally interesting people, many who invited me ti their homes to meet their family and have dinner. In my experience the people in Munich are more friendly than the northern germans - had some great nights in the hofbrau house with some random germans who were great fun. Bavaria itself is a stunning provence.

Have to say I agree with you. I loved Munich the few times ive been. I stayed in a little town called weiden for a month on work experience & the people were so lovely. Really liked that part of germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Brother lived there was there for a week did not see the homeless problem and walked quite a lot plus was very wheelchair friendly. Would love to go back. There was 1 guy my brother pointed out who goes around with a sign a bit mentally ill but he says he is more of a celb now and harmless

Ha, I think I actually met that guy with the sign. In fairness its a good few ago since I was there. The homelessness is probably not as bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Never been to Hungary, but all the Hungarians I've met over here have been lovely. Do all the nice ones leave?

improvers or provers, generally visitors will be always nice in order to gain foot in a new place. once you're not a threat to their space then the smiles keep coming. always bear that in mind, it may not always be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ha, I think I actually met that guy with the sign. In fairness its a good few ago since I was there. The homelessness is probably not as bad now.

Just realised was not a sign but one of the band stick things

Edit: He is Baton Bob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bandar Seri Begawan brings the term boring to another level.
    Jo'berg has an air of menace to the place.

Poeple saying places like Boston, Paris, Sydney and Prague are dumps really need to get out of their comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MrWard

bluewolf wrote: »
    Aw hannover is great
    We were at some dodgy grungy looking place in hannover with 2 euro glasses of sekt and gypsy night music and talking pure sh1te with the lovely locals, best time ever :)

The dive bars are always the best when you wanna get rubber with the locals?

- Do you do food?

- Nein.

- Sound. Three of your local beers and shots please, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Chicago
    Boston
    Rome

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Aberdeen. Worked out of there for a couple of years and it really has nothing about it worth recommending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Mumbai
    Never been anywhere as filthy....

Stoke-on-Trent
    Just a dive really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The ignorance!!!

Islands, beaches, unique habitat wild life reserves, wetlands, all beside or easily accessible from the city, not to mention the huge parks, free museums and galleries. Not many cities can offer you that.

Yes, yes they do. I like Dublin and all but I hate this whole mentality Dubliners seem to have that Dublin is the end all be all of everything great in Ireland. Dublin is a city of 1 million. It seriously pales in comparison to other, bigger cities in Europe and abroad.

Dublin is nice, but not that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Birroc wrote: »
    Rory, Rory, Rory, that's twice now in the same thread. Jealousy isn't an opinion. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder cos you are talking through your hoop :D:pac:

To be fair, it is a rather dreary place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

EazyD wrote: »
    To be fair, it is a rather dreary place

I take it you and Rory are dreary Dubs! :D

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do. I like Dublin and all but I hate this whole mentality Dubliners seem to have that Dublin is the end all be all of everything great in Ireland. Dublin is a city of 1 million. It seriously pales in comparison to other, bigger cities in Europe and abroad

Yeah, to be honest, I don't see where you're getting that from. Nobody said the city is the be and end all, just educating the ill informed posters who can't but post up negative stuff! I never said it was better than anywhere, and I have the ability to post up the positives, the amenities, the things to do in Dublin without resorting to put other places down, like most other posters do.

Regarding the city being all of everything great in Ireland, you will find that most Dubliners holiday in Ireland every year, they appreciate the rest of the country as much, if not more than others.

I also don't see how population has anything to do with a city being good, Lagos in Nigeria has millions, but does it make it better? Silly post, scraping the barrel to put Dublin down resorting to complaining that there's not enough people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

jank wrote: »
    Bandar Seri Begawan brings the term boring to another level.

Probably after more than a few days. I have really good memories of it, I met a really friendly local woman at the airport there and she went out of her way to show me around, introduce me to her friends and even when I was leaving drove me over the border to Malaysia and helped me find a place to stay for the night. And I got to see proboscis monkeys which I love. It was a nice place to relax after coming from kuala lumpur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Agree I'm in Dublin 14 years and never had any of my possessions taken and I couldn't be classed as careful with my stuff. Either extremely unlucky or just completely oblivious of your surroundings.

I doubt there is that much pick-pocketting in Dublin 14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

palermo in sicily
    noisy and dirty and nothing really in it

Why did you go there? Just honestly curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, to be honest, I don't see where you're getting that from. Nobody said the city is the be and end all, just educating the ill informed posters who can't but post up negative stuff!

This thread is about cities you'd never return to. Hence the 'negative' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

lufties wrote: »
    Its all about money with thai women, I wouldn't take them too seriously, find them, **** them and forget them. A lot of lads get really involved and end up throwing all their money at them, while she has no problem mounting any cock that comes her way.

Banned

Apologies, that post was inappropriate. I'd had a bad weekend in Budapest ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

it is possibly the only city in Europe where i don't feel safe.

You're from the UK, right? Safety-wise, give me Dublin over most UK cities I've been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

You're from the UK, right? Safety-wise, give me Dublin over most UK cities I've been to.

I think the question should be would you feel safer walking down O'Connell Street at 1am than say Leicester Square/Piccadilly or the Champs Elysses or the Via Del Corso etc etc. I think there would be safer main streets in Europe than O'Connell Street over the last 5 years. But again I would guess that most Dubs avoid O'Connell St last at night for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Birroc wrote: »
    I take it you and Rory are dreary Dubs! :D

Damn right sir, I don't dislike Galway, the city is actually a decent enough place with enough to do but people do tend to exaggerate its merit's.

I think the question should be would you feel safer walking down O'Connell Street at 1am than say Leicester Square/Piccadilly or the Champs Elysses or the Via Del Corso etc etc. I think there would be safer main streets in Europe than O'Connell Street over the last 5 years. But again I would guess that most Dubs avoid O'Connell St last at night for obvious reasons.

O'Connell Street and Leciester Square? Safety-wise, much of muchness. I haven't been to Paris so can't comment on that. But regional cities in the UK tend not to be great.

O'Connell Street at night can sometimes feel a bit dodge but it's mostly grand. I find Eyre Square in Galway more dodgy at night than O'Connell Street!

I'd avoid the quays either side of O'Connell Street and north and south of the river around O'Connell Street at night as much as possible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

St Petersburg, Russia. Been all over the world but this place is unreal, completly unsafe feeling and most of it comes from the authorities. Dodgy dodgy place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

Dubai - beautiful if you don't see the labour camps and the effective slavery of Asian immigrants who work let us live like kings. The most racist and sexist society I have ever come across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

AlanG wrote: »
    Dubai - beautiful if you don't see the labour camps and the effective slavery of Asian immigrants who work let us live like kings. The most racist and sexist society I have ever come across.

I first read that as Dublin and genuinely said "what the fûck" out loud.

This thread is about cities you'd never return to. Hence the 'negative' stuff.

I should have said incorrect or untrue stuff then!

St Petersburg, Russia. Been all over the world but this place is unreal, completly unsafe feeling and most of it comes from the authorities. Dodgy dodgy place

To hear this saddens me :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Pompei

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

lufties wrote: »
    To hear this saddens me :(

Me too. Had plans of one day going there.

Beijing would be on my list. Dirty dirty dreary grey city, people hocking and spitting all over the shop. Awful smell off the place too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Beijing would be on my list. Dirty dirty dreary grey city, people hocking and spitting all over the shop. Awful smell off the place too!

Sounds like Cashel

Sounds like Cashel

No sure there's hardly anyone left in Cashel, the place is like a ghost town at night :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

One of may places in that region which I couldn't bring myself to visit, not that they'll care of course, given the conservative, oppressive nature of the prevaling governments. Saudi Arabia being top of the list of places in that region I hope never to set foot in.

If I was black, I wouldn't got there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

david75 wrote: »
    Las Vegas. Utterly pointless. You can feel your soul being sucked away. Never again.
    Dallas. There is something so completely charmless about this town and its weird cos it should be lovely.
    Little rock Arkansas. It's limerick. But in America. Nuff said.
    Miami. Plastic hellhole full of plastic people. Though little Cuba was cool.
    Birmingham. Truly the biggest sh!thole in Britain.. Oh wait
    Manchester. Never ever ever again. Ever.
    Rotterdam. Sad about this town. It was totally levelled in WWII and when rebuilt, it's just got no soul or center. It's like a deserted movie set of skyscrapers. Really strange.
    Limerick. You know why.
    Cork. Double dose of what's wrong with limerick.
    Sligo. The worst town in Ireland?
    The wise men say that your perception of things is a reflection of the state of mind. What does it say about yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Christ don t be put off going there because of one post in this thread. St Petersburg is a stunning city. Had an amazing time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Moscow... I have never EVER been so glad to get on a plane out of a country. 5 days working there and I thought I would never get out of the place. talk about cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Paraty in Brazil, once the tide goes out the combination of salt seaweed and horse ****e would knock ya out. Been to Paris twice not overly impressed but maybe the last time I was there was with the ex when the relationship was falling apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Ottawa - what a boring sh*thole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Paraty in Brazil, once the tide goes out the combination of salt seaweed and horse ****e would knock ya out.

Yeah you need to go back there ive been a few times and never ever experienced a bad smell though if the smell of seaweed and salt water is so bad for you then maybe stay away from any coastal area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Yeah you need to go back there ive been a few times and never ever experienced a bad smell though if the smell of seaweed and salt water is so bad for you then maybe stay away from any coastal area.

Colonial architecture, fine sand, warm water, sun, decent food, cachacha...awful place! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I am pie wrote: »
    One of may places in that region which I couldn't bring myself to visit, not that they'll care of course, given the conservative, oppressive nature of the prevaling governments. Saudi Arabia being top of the list of places in that region I hope never to set foot in.

The Middle East is both very interesting and beautiful but also very depressing and horrible. Yes, all these intolerant conservative voodoo regimes predominate and (while they don't admit it) they are all handpicked by the West to keep them from becoming rich, to scare the USSR at the time, and to keep the Western oil companies rich instead. A region where the regimes of Saddam, Khamenei and Assad would be among the better ones pretty much says it all!

Saudi Arabia is the worst offender (only the Taliban did it worse!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was anyone in Tallinn? Would you go back?

Was thinking of going for a few days and taking the train to that other Sh!thole (according to reports here)....St. Petersburg...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

When were you there last?

RE Damascus.

Few months before it all kicked off.

Was there a few years ago and did not like the place at all. Unlike other places such as Saudi Arabia, Dubai try to hide all their repressive laws which makes it more scary actually. While not the worst city, I think it was the least enjoyable country I was ever in. It has no culture, no history and no social life worthwhile. A fake nightlife for tourists yes but laid on for them. I was never so glad to get out of it and go to Iran! Iran I found far friendlier and a kinder society despite their similar regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Canberra

The buildings are nice and all, but it's just so dreary. It's like people go to work there and leave in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NoPainNoGain

Hamburg, very strange place. Wouldn't go back if I was paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Was there a few years ago and did not like the place at all. Unlike other places such as Saudi Arabia, Dubai try to hide all their repressive laws which makes it more scary actually. While not the worst city, I think it was the least enjoyable country I was ever in. It has no culture, no history and no social life worthwhile. A fake nightlife for tourists yes but laid on for them. I was never so glad to get out of it and go to Iran! Iran I found far friendlier and a kinder society despite their similar regime.

Thank you for reminding me. I spent a week in Abu Dhabi and found it the exact same way you describe Dubai, but with less ridiculous towers and nonsense nouveau riche projects

Gott wrote: »
    Canberra

The buildings are nice and all, but it's just so dreary. It's like people go to work there and leave in the evening

Was never in Australia but what you say about it reminds me of my experiences in Washington. Washington is a work city and you feel it is set up only for the US government and tourists and that everyone lives elsewhere. I enjoyed Washington but did not see it as a real alive city.

• Advertisement

Gott wrote: »
    Thank you for reminding me. I spent a week in Abu Dhabi and found it the exact same way you describe Dubai, but with less ridiculous towers and nonsense nouveau riche projects

I would not go back to this godforesaken country for anything. United Arab Emirates never gets the negative coverage that Saudi Arabia get and you get the feeling everything there is an act for tourists masking a repressive religious monarchy.

Iran make a better effort for their tourists and is a more interesting country culturally. Getting out of UAE and into Esfahan and Shiraz was a relief. Politically, hopefully things will continue to improve but any steps towards improvement are genuine here and the people are lovely. Tehran is a bit of a disappointment as it is just a modern ironically Western style city whereas Esfahan and Shiraz have much more culture.

Overall, United Arab Emirates was the worst country and Lagos, Nigeria the worst city I was ever in. But, I think there are some places in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia connected to the drugs trade that would be worse than any of them. But, I can't see any place being worse than Lagos!

Advertisement