Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vectoring with Fritzbox ?

Options
  • 23-04-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a Fritzbox with vectoring working on it?

I have a 7390 model and about two weeks ago it started acting up (ever since the fast profile's were enabled). SNR's went down, Pings went up, attainables went down.

Today, I reinstalled the Eircom F1000, and my attainables went back up along with the SNR.

I'm now wondering if the Fritzbox doesn't actually work with vectoring model that Eircom wholesale are using?

I know that Digiweb efibre customers all have Fritzbox's so wondering if any of them have seen the Vectoring indicator turn on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

no it's not, im borrowing an eircom F1000 to get it working. further to this digiweb wont increase my profile even to the 70/20 im paying for nevermind the attainable with vectoring...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Are you 100% sure that vectoring is enabled in your exchange / box though??

I've just been entering neighbours telephone numbers into the Eircom site and found that some boxes in my area are enabled (gives 100mb maximum speed limit) and others aren't (much closer houses to the box I'm connected to are all giving maximums of 70mb).

You cannot read anything into those attainable numbers.

From day one of installation of efibre I've been getting attainables of up to 75mb even though I'm around 600metres from the box.

As far as I understand it, the attainables are the maximum theoretical speed you can possibly get with vectoring turned on.

So, even if vectoring is off the attainable number will be as if it is on. (Open to correction from somebody knowledgeable on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Deagol wrote: »
    So, even if vectoring is off the attainable number will be as if it is on. (Open to correction from somebody knowledgeable on this).
    That's the way it is here in Germany on my FritzBox 7360 anyway. It shows 100Mb as the max attainable but Telekom here hasn't enabled vectoring anywhere yet as far as I'm aware. No DSL (re)seller is offering anything above the 50/10 here.

From another thread
    Digiweb, Fritzbox users

I just recieve an email from digiweb tech support this morning

"Thanks very much for the details you sent. I was very helpful and accurate
    information. The modem guys were able to use these details to create a new
    firmware file for the fritz box to improve the issue. We are currently loading
    this firmware onto a modem and would like to send this modem to you. Once
    received please run some speed tests on speedtest.digiweb.ie and see if speed
    issue is resolved."

I will any new information as i recieve it.

I know this is a zombie thread but in case anyone ends up here through a Google search...The 7390 doesn't natively support Vectoring in hardware. It does it through the firmware and it does it badly.

It is not recommended to use a 7390 on a vectored line here in Germany. The 7360/2 and 7490 have proper chipset that work fine with Vectoring however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wait, so its onboard RISC processor is doing the work? Lol. Thats a terrible idea.

I should add that to the reference thread.

ED E wrote: »
    Wait, so its onboard RISC processor is doing the work? Lol. Thats a terrible idea.

I should add that to the reference thread.
    I think AVM got caught out with this one. Officially the chipset supports Vectoring according to its manufacturer ikanos, but it's crap and they tried to help it with firmware patches which had very limited success.

Most AVM modems have a Lantiq VR9 chipset which is solid.

Yea, I paid a lot of money for a 7390 and the phone handset and it's sitting unused on a shelf.
    Their 'support' was a joke, claimed they didn't have enough information the first time I emailed them and then ignored subsequent emails.

I'll never buy another AVM product and I've gone through every review site I could find to give them 1 star reviews etc..:mad:

Advertisement