Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technicolor TG589vn - help with Bridge Mode

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get their Technicolor TG589vn from Magnet into Bridge Mode successfully? Would you mind sharing your wisdom here if you have? The thing is breaking my heart and I want to change to a decent wireless router.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭wendigo

just got my fatpipe (27mb) installed yesterday.
    first thing i did was put it into bridged mode, however my own router was failing authentication attempts
    have verified with magnet several times that my user/pass are correct, however as i want to use bridge mode they refuse to help

even when i enter the user/pass into their modem is fails, i suspect schenanigans.

i have been a big fan of magnet for years, but i have to say i am seriously thinking of moving from them.
    its slow, overpriced and their customer service, which used to be excellent, is now sh1te.

going to have another poke at it over the weekend if i get anywhere will update.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 newbie1001

Thanks wendigo - hope you get further than I did! I haven't tried again in a while as it was wrecking my head, and Magnet themselves are no help at all. I read on another forum that you could try changing the vlan setting to 10 - but that could be a red herring too. Let me know how you get on anyway.

right after tearing my hair out and swearing a lot for the last 4 hours im giving up.

VLAN 10 is needed, but there is something else that i need to do that i just cant figure out.
    i have gone back to just forwarding the ext IP to my own device and using it to manage everything.

im going to see if i can get a loan of a different VDSL modem and give it a go.

ggggrrrrrr

Came across this - dunno if it's any use but must give it a go later with my Asus router.

hey

seen that before but nothing i tried worked.
    i have a fritzbox 7360 on the way in so will see how that works out.
    http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7360/index.php?tab=1

at the moment the technicolor is forwarding the external IP to the draytek, so it handling all my port forwards, VPN and QoS stuff.
    i have noticed a slow down though in this config, even with Qos turned off, also some weird FTP issues depending on the site.

once it arrives i will give it a go and update.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update.

Pretty scandalous that people are being forced to fork out another couple of hundred euro to gain some basic functionality.

Let me know how it goes for you - I'll grab one myself if it works out.

just to let you know the FritzBox is in and working happilyish.

the box is second hand so i suspect its had a hard life, it is dropping the DSL from time to time and also wifi.

the seller has said they will replace it, so once i get a newer one in i am hoping all will be well with it.

my upload seems to be slower, but i want to wait for the replacement box to conduct some more tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

I was not able to use bridge mode on their modem but instead I set up a DMZ and use my second Router to connect my internal network to the internet. The second router got the DHCP from Magnet's modem then all my internal clients have to go through the router then the modem. As far as I can see there are no lost in bandwidth performance. The only issue might be the port forwarding modem to router.

Otherwise you could get another modem that handle the VLAN tagging, see thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057098754&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Alzone wrote: »
    I was not able to use bridge mode on their modem but instead I set up a DMZ and use my second Router to connect my internal network to the internet. The second router got the DHCP from Magnet's modem then all my internal clients have to go through the router then the modem. As far as I can see there are no lost in bandwidth performance. The only issue might be the port forwarding modem to router.

Otherwise you could get another modem that handle the VLAN tagging, see thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057098754&page=2

Thanks, this worked fine.

Connected a TP-Link TL-WR703N (running OpenWRT) to the Magnet 589 modem, set that as DMZ, and it worked.

Getting 25-30MBps download from it, which is the same as the Magnet router was giving me.

I get 67MBps with an Ethernet cable. Any tips for getting better Wi-Fi speeds? Is it possible? The signal strength on my laptop is full, it says connected to the router at 105MBps (sometimes I see 130MBps). I've tried moving WiFi channels, no change. Does changing from 2.4GHz to 5GHz offer better speeds (Is this possible in the Technicolor 589 config? I see it says 2.4GHz but I don't see how to change it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

seanp_25 wrote: »
    [..] Does changing from 2.4GHz to 5GHz offer better speeds (Is this possible in the Technicolor 589 config? I see it says 2.4GHz but I don't see how to change it.)

Not sure how to change it on your router, but there is a very good chance that you'll get better speed with 5GHz. There are only 3 non-overlapping channels at 2.4GHz (hard to believe, I know..), so if you have any networks in the neighbourhood they might slow you down. More info here: http://wifijedi.com/2009/06/08/2-4-ghz-vs-5-ghz/

You might notice reduced range, but in my case 5GHz range is better than 2.4GHz! There are no 5GHz networks around my house except mine and there are about 8-10 2.4GHz networks.

P.S. I don't think your router works at 5GHz

• Advertisement

all, just to update and close off.

i bought a Fritz!Box 3370 modem last week and installed it.
    since then i have had Zero issues with my broadband.

it supports vectoring with the latest firmware

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_3370/index.php

the lack of external antenna is a slight drawback though, but all in all no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

wendigo wrote: »
    all, just to update and close off.

i bought a Fritz!Box 3370 modem last week and installed it.
    since then i have had Zero issues with my broadband.

it supports vectoring with the latest firmware

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_3370/index.php

the lack of external antenna is a slight drawback though, but all in all no complaints.

Have you seen vectoring enabled yet on your Magnet BB?

hey,
    no it appears to be off.
    here are the settings from the modem

formatting is a bit off, it wouldnt copy/paste cleanly

Negotiated connection properties
    Receive Direction Send Direction
    Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 51200 20480
    Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 1024 1024
    Attainable data rate kbit/s 39256 12344
    Current throughput kbit/s 32926 11366
    Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency 8 ms 8 ms
    Impulse Noise Protection 2 2
    G.inp off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 7 6
    Bitswap on on
    Line attenuation dB 28 22

Profile 17a
    G.Vector off off

Carrier record B43 B43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

First, these Technicolour routers (rebranded Thompsons) suck. I have four Magnet accounts at four houses (long story) and love their service but LOATH that router. The TG703 is even worse than the TG589.

A couple things here - these routers have custom firmware which severely limits them. I have yet to find a way to put the default firmware back on them. You can log in via telnet and do a few things they have removed from the GUI, but it still does not help.

If you want to bridge a network you shouldn't need to do anything. If you plug the other network into the fourth port of the Technicolour it will pick up the other network and bridge it automatically. This is how they do it in some of the new flats in Dublin.

I however would suggest going to Argos and getting one of these:

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=1397138

It also will configure itself and has full 300N on two bands which is so much faster than the 65 meg connection those Technicolours output (firmware modified to keep it this low, it cannot be changed).

If you insist on keeping the Technicolour, check out these telnet commands:

http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html

But if you do have a fibre connection and just need a bridge I would think seriously about replacing that router as it really sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trister

wendigo wrote: »
    hey,
    no it appears to be off.
    here are the settings from the modem

formatting is a bit off, it wouldnt copy/paste cleanly

Negotiated connection properties
    Receive Direction Send Direction
    Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 51200 20480
    Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 1024 1024
    Attainable data rate kbit/s 39256 12344
    Current throughput kbit/s 32926 11366
    Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency 8 ms 8 ms
    Impulse Noise Protection 2 2
    G.inp off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 7 6
    Bitswap on on
    Line attenuation dB 28 22

Profile 17a
    G.Vector off off

Carrier record B43 B43

Hi wendigo,

Is this information from a Magnet Technicolor modem, if so how did you get that information, telnet or GUI?

thanks

trister,
    no i have a fritz!boz modem and there is a DSL information page in there.
    thats where i got that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trister

Thanks wendigo, I thought I has missed something on the Magnet router.

no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TALLOWBAN1

I got on asus dsl n66u vdsl router and I'm hooking it up with magnet and I got the username and password and it connects on the router but I still got no internet access ipv4 on device say no internet access still... any help?

oh p.s extra info on event logs it does say ignore sever name and also isp's DHCP error, something magnet has to fix? same thing happens when I put the magnet router into bridge mode with friend rt n66u.... work fine when have it linked to rt n66u (but keep doing warn kernel restart)

have you got the VLAN set to 10?

• Advertisement

yes I do says connected on the asus but then nothing is able to get on the internet on any device..

i presume you have tried with both a cabled and wifi device?
    can you take a screenshot of your dsl config page, i had a quick look thru your manual but its a bit spares on detail for setting that up.

sorry new to board.ie don't seem to able to attach screenshot in the normal way...?

DSL Modulation: auto sync-up
    Annex Mode annex A/I/J/L/M
    Stability Adjustment (ADSL) disable
    Stability Adjustment (VDSL) disable
    Seamless Rate Adaptation enable
    Bitswap enable
    Share PVC disable
    VDSL Profile 30a muliti mode

hhhmmm,

all that looks fine.
    have you any options to change the DSL Modulation?

no don't seem to be anywhere in the settings

wendigo just wondering if fritzbox 7360 worked with the magnet fibre?

hey,
    yeah the 7360 worked ok for me, i returned the box though, it was second hand and was just dropping dsl and wifi way too often.
    i suspect the 7360 was just not powerful enough and had, had a hard life before i got it.

i got a 3370 instead and its much better, strong Wifi and DSL only drops when magnet reset.

picked up the 3370 from komplett.
    http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-03netw/20163344/avm-wireless-modemrouter-fritz-box-3370-international/details.aspx

no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Not sure how to change it on your router, but there is a very good chance that you'll get better speed with 5GHz. There are only 3 non-overlapping channels at 2.4GHz (hard to believe, I know..), so if you have any networks in the neighbourhood they might slow you down. More info here: http://wifijedi.com/2009/06/08/2-4-ghz-vs-5-ghz/

You might notice reduced range, but in my case 5GHz range is better than 2.4GHz! There are no 5GHz networks around my house except mine and there are about 8-10 2.4GHz networks.

P.S. I don't think your router works at 5GHz
    Note: There are 4 non-overlapping channels at 2.4 GHz in many parts of the world, including Ireland. However thanks to the hegemony of American internet users, this advice is parroted out on the English-speaking net like it's true.

In the EU, you can use Ch. 1, 5, 9 and 13 and these will not overlap. Because of the lack of routers that pick anything over Ch. 11 as a default channel (thanks to aforementioned more restrictive 2.4 GHz ISM bandwidth in U.S.), Channel 13 tends to be clearer. At least for 10 MHz of the 20 MHz channel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement