Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cage contender

• 14-04-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't heard anything about it in ages. Is it still on the go?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yep there is an event on in Belfast on the 26th of this month.
    http://www.cagecontender.com/cage-contender-xviii/

Hoping to bring an event back to Dublin later this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DeVore wrote: »
    Yep there is an event on in Belfast on the 26th of this month.
    http://www.cagecontender.com/cage-contender-xviii/

Hoping to bring an event back to Dublin later this year too.

Is there alot less of them on than there used to be or am I just imagining it?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, you're not imagining it, we wanted to put as much of our financial house in order as possible before returning to running events. We plan to ramp up from here.

(Full disclosure, I'm a director of Boards.ie and a shareholder in Cage Contender).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Have you got an opponent for James Gallagher yet?

I don't know you would need to ask John Ferguson, he's the executive. I just own shares. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 curious100

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Have you got an opponent for James Gallagher yet?

James gallagher has been match up against alex mccooke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

curious100 wrote: »
    James gallagher has been match up against alex mccooke.

Just home from this. What the **** happened in this "fight" did ya man McCooke just **** himself or something?? He should never be allowed fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lighting1

Has there been anymore results from this event??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

SevereMMA's Twitter has all the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Dancor wrote: »
    Just home from this. What the **** happened in this "fight" did ya man McCooke just **** himself or something?? He should never be allowed fight again.

What happened with the McCooke fight??

As soon as the bell rang, he crouched down and tapped out before James had even gotten across the cage to him. I knew the kid was talented, but I didn't know he was a Jedi. Watch out for him!

Richy06 wrote: »
    As soon as the bell rang, he crouched down and tapped out before James had even gotten across the cage to him. I knew the kid was talented, but I didn't know he was a Jedi. Watch out for him!

Did that seriously happen?

Yes.

darced wrote: »
    I think people need to remember that this was an amatuer mma fight not a ufc main event,some of the calls for the lad to never fight again and that he should be ashamed on twitter and such are pathetic to be honest.

I would say the young lad is pretty down and upset today,what was an amatuer mma fight doing on after the pro fights anyway?

Was is out of fear or just got caught up in the moment? Was this his first fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Very sad to see. Apparently he said he had chest pains. His opponent not impressed at all:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Dunno who was worse, the tapper or that jed head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Can anyone here genuinely say they wouldn't have been in the same mood if this had happened to them?

If they can I'd probably safely say they've never stepped in the cage and realised the prep that goes into even an amateur fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Paddy Power were taking bets on this fight. Surely this guy could get done for fight fixing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

There must be some protocol. If he was ill/did not want to fight then surely he should have said it to the referee in advance and a no contest would be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    There must be some protocol. If he was ill/did not want to fight then surely he should have said it to the referee in advance and a no contest would be called.

Without it being an official protocol there are a number other ways that should have been handled. If he was not feeling well at the medical bring it up there. If he was not well at the rules meeting he could bring it up there. He could bring it up at any point between the start of the show and stepping into the cage. The referee or referees assistant will ask if you have any issues before stepping into the cage or when he stepped in. He asks if there are any questions finally when they come to the centre of the cage. Finally the referee asks both parties if they are ready. I find it hard to believe these chest pains came on so suddenly that he decided at that split second to tap the mat 1 second into the match.
    The guy could have brought the issue up at any point before hand but chose to do it in the worst manner possible.

Ive seen guys pull out 10 minutes before their fight. I just can't imagine what was going through his head that he thought this was the best way to approach the situation.

This lad was flown over from England to fight, surely some financial reward was offered to him to fight even though this was an amateur fight. I assume by taking to the cage and letting the 'fight' start he will still get paid which wouldn't have been the case if he pulled out of the fight. Think its obvious enough that this lad didn't fancy it, so took the 'very' easy way out. He claimed to Andrew McGahon that he told his corner about his chest pains but James said his coach has denied this. Extremely frustrating for all concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wanzap1

Having heard a little more information I am unsure what to make of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

My guess is he had a panic attack as soon as he stepped into the ring which can feel like a heart attack is about to come on.

Apoligies wanzap1, I thought Andrew McGahan said to James Gallagher in the interview after the fight that they had flown his opponent over from England. Ignore my post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 wanzap1

No problem BeepBeep, it is all very strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Locomotion wrote: »
    Paddy Power were taking bets on this fight. Surely this guy could get done for fight fixing?

No they weren't. They were betting on one other fight only, Doyle v Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

GREAT post from John Kavanagh on Facebook about this subject.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coach-John-Kavanagh/330004463766331?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I don't think so, i'm sure they're pretty close due to SBG being top gym and severemma being one of the top mma websites here, but that's to be expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Yer man shouldn't have stepped in the cage only to immediately tap, but at the end of the day what can you do. He made his decision and while his opponent may have a right to be pissed, that's as far as I'd go.

Anyone who has stepped into the cage will know that it's an environment which can place a lot of pressure on one's shoulders. The event in question probably had over a thousand people in attendance ad we're talking teenaged lads here in a full contact setup.

I saw that short interview on SevereMMA (before it was taken down) with James Gallagher and I wasn't impressed at all. I would understand being pissed to an extent, but some of the things James said were quite insulting and he came across as extremely arrogant. I know he wants to make a career out of this but I think he should review his attitude before moving on because he came across woefully in that interview in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steviemac

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't think so, i'm sure they're pretty close due to SBG being top gym and severemma being one of the top mma websites here, but that's to be expected

They are Andrew McGahon trains in SBG ,But did the right thing taking the interview down

He didn't take the link of the young lad tapping out down as well is what I find strange.

Don't think that's his video. Seems like a mobile vid from the crowd.

• Advertisement

Makes no difference it is still embedded on their site.

Good point. Maybe it's because Gallagher came across very arrogantly in the vid and there was some backlash over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

Gumbi wrote: »
    Good point. Maybe it's because Gallagher came across very arrogantly in the vid and there was some backlash over it.

I'd say it's safe to say the video was taking down for that very reason. I've not seen the video but I can't fault the guy for saying whatever he said because of the fact that emotions would have been running high and it was a messed up situation.

I think it's fair to say his opponent panicked just like so many guys that say their going to fight and then "get injured or a relative dies" the day before weigh in's, which promoters hear all the time when dealing with amateur fighter's that simply realise they're not ready

d_jordan wrote: »
    I'd say it's face to say the video was taking down for that very reason. I've not seen the video but I can't fault the guy for saying whatever he said because of the fact that emotions would have been running high and it was a messed up situation.

I think it's fair to say his opponent panicked just like so many guys that say their going to fight and then "get injured or a relative dies" the day before weigh in's, which promoters hear all the time when dealing with amateur fighter's that simply realise they're not ready

I understand at being pissed at his opponent, but the arrogance being spewed really got to me. He was saying his opponent "probably looked me up last night and got afraid knowing I would knock him out or submit him in 30 seconds anyway, that's probably why he tapped before the fight started in earnest".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

Gumbi wrote: »
    I understand at being pissed at his opponent, but the arrogance being spewed really got to me. He was saying his opponent "probably looked me up last night and got afraid knowing I would knock him out or submit him in 30 seconds anyway, that's probably why he tapped before the fight started in earnest".

That does sound arrogant.

I don't know him personally but I know some people that told me they find him very arrogant and full of himself, this was from the way he was talking coming up to the world's in BJJ(I never heard what he was saying but it was basically that all he had to do was show and collect his medal....etc) but I'm sure his friends and training partners think he's a good guy.

He's in a position that loads of people dream of where he can train full time and at a young age he's training & hanging out with some top athletes that are extremely confident in themselves and this is just my opinion but maybe he's just over compensating for not actually been as confident in himself as the guy's he trains with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

d_jordan wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say his opponent panicked

This was not the actions of a panicked man in my opinion, he was very much in control and very calm as he knew he wasn't going to get hit etc

I've no doubt he'd made his mind up long before he got in the cage that he was going to do that, he certainly didn't panic and go damn i better tap!

Why he done this Horus knows but the whole panicky kid thing been bandied about is bs.

My personal feelings is he knew he was in a match that he wasn't going to win and for some reason thought that doing this was in some way the best course of action.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement