Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JNLR Day .. Jan 2013-Jan 2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Any indication of the later shows on 2FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

blue4ever wrote: »
    Here's N/T over the last three years by 1/4 hours. The industry really cant do much better?

Ye, and now they can see that OTB has X amount of listeners on Monday but we don't have weekend figure in that chart unfortunately, so we can't decipher how many listeners they have at weekend where as whoever details this in NT would have weekend figures.

Unless im missing those figures, they could well be on the website somewhere I haven't seen yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Thanks for all the updates.. I've been stacking shelves all day, just getting back to the interweb now..

You kind of get sick of the same old "Ryan has a really hard job trying to fill in for Gerry Ryan"... RTE have to make up their minds about him.. They've sold him to us as the best presenter in the country with pay to match the title, and all I ever hear from them is excuses... You'd wonder what Noel Kelly gets paid for these days with Dan Healy doing all Tubridy's PR..

Shocking that Hector went up 12% and is gone. Management in 2FM obviously dont have a clue what's going on..

Very surprised about Off The Ball holding their audience and AMAZED that they have increased. Diarmuid Ling is NOT a broadcaster.. I'm sure he's a nice guy and a good hurler, but he is not a broadcaster. Even tonight on the way home, the show was immeasurably better in his absence.

I feel that Pat Kenny is winning the war against Sean O'Rourke.. The extra half hour really gives him an edge as well, as most people who enjoy EITHER show will listen to him between 12 and 12.30... Early Lunchtime Music is about 20 years too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thanks for all the updates.. I've been stacking shelves all day, just getting back to the interweb now..

You kind of get sick of the same old "Ryan has a really hard job trying to fill in for Gerry Ryan"... RTE have to make up their minds about him.. They've sold him to us as the best presenter in the country with pay to match the title, and all I ever hear from them is excuses... You'd wonder what Noel Kelly gets paid for these days with Dan Healy doing all Tubridy's PR..

Shocking that Hector went up 12% and is gone. Management in 2FM obviously dont have a clue what's going on..

Very surprised about Off The Ball holding their audience and AMAZED that they have increased. Diarmuid Ling is NOT a broadcaster.. I'm sure he's a nice guy and a good hurler, but he is not a broadcaster. Even tonight on the way home, the show was immeasurably better in his absence.

I feel that Pat Kenny is winning the war against Sean O'Rourke.. The extra half hour really gives him an edge as well, as most people who enjoy EITHER show will listen to him between 12 and 12.30... Early Lunchtime Music is about 20 years too late.
    That bloody sing-song accent of his combined with the childish smart Alec comments from "woolie" have turned me right off, apart from Giles on Thursdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Greyham wrote: »
    Wow, the jump for "Marty in the Morning" is enormous. 41%

Congrats Marty!

Really shoves all the abuse he's been getting on this forum right down poster's throats.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

Congrats Marty!

Really shoves all the abuse he's been getting on this forum right down poster's throats

41,000 listeners for Marty. He has added 12,000 listeners in a year. Yet lyric overall has only added 7,000 in the year. So even though he's recruiting diabetic taxi drivers who love Perry Como, his presence on the licence fee funded arts and music channel is bleeding away listeners who used to come for, well, arts and mainly classical music.

It is, in effect, licence fee funded cultural rape. One day a Taoiseach will have to apologise for it in the Dail.

Even if he had a million listeners each morning, it doesn't change the fact that what he's doing is not the business of Lyric fm and his show is slowly killing it as an arts and music network like weeds in the flower garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pb Eso

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but am I clear in thinking that the off the ball figures are like with like and the new OTB crew have managed to grow their audience.

If so a sincere congrats to them. I truly believed the audience would drop significantly.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Congrats Marty! Really shoves all the abuse he's been getting on this forum right down poster's throats.:cool:

Why did they never give Marty one of the 9am-10am shows on either Radio One or Radio Two... ?? Right now, John Murray is discussing irritable bowel syndrome and Ryan Tubridy is discussing rugby (but has changed the discussion to one of the players wearing a beard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

soc160 wrote: »
    Ye, and now they can see that OTB has X amount of listeners on Monday but we don't have weekend figure in that chart unfortunately, so we can't decipher how many listeners they have at weekend where as whoever details this in NT would have weekend figures.

Unless im missing those figures, they could well be on the website somewhere I haven't seen yet.

OK - there's more focus on the M-F figure in many cases. So, to withdraw from this gracefully here is the Holy Gail you seek!

OTB Saturday 14.00-18.00 87,000
    OTB Sunday 13.00-18.00 68,000

Before we get the uber OTB enthusiasts (and we all know who they are) start foaming at the mouth and rounding up a lynch mob for the management of NT - just remember the time slots are 4 and 5 hours so the reach will be large enough.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why did they never give Marty one of the 9am-10am shows on either Radio One or Radio Two... ?? .

He was given the 2fm morning show for a while and proved himself as good a fit there as he is on Lyric when he referred to popular Irish beat combo BellX1 as "Bell-Eleven".

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Big falloff for Mary Wilson, Drivetime, RTE Radio 1.

Out of interest, does anyone have listenship figures for:

* Gay Byrne, Lyric FM on Sundays and

* Risin' Time, (Shay Byrne) RTE Radio 1 5.30 to 7.00 am

Thanks.

I would have thought the Off the Ball listenership explanation is clear enough.

Even though the original team walked out in a huff, the show is essentially the same (content, not quality) with mostly the same items and contributors.
    Despite the fact that the new presenting team is much worse than the last group, it is a live interactive sports show.
    The Second Captains podcast is not.

The majority of those who listen to the podcast still probably listen to Off The Ball. The new team might be fairly poor, but it's available every night for three hours.

bureau2009 wrote: »

Out of interest, does anyone have listenship figures for:

* Gay Byrne, Lyric FM on Sundays and

* Risin' Time, (Shay Byrne) RTE Radio 1 5.30 to 7.00 am

Thanks.

The programme block in the survey for lyric is slightly different (old schedule?)
    Lyric Sunday 13.00-16.00 41,000 (1%)

Risin' Time (but obviously not for too many!)
    05.30-07.00 44,000 (1%)

But it does gain momentum see attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Expunge wrote: »
    I would have thought the Off the Ball listenership explanation is clear enough.

Even though the original team walked out in a huff, the show is essentially the same (content, not quality) with mostly the same items and contributors.
    Despite the fact that the new presenting team is much worse than the last group, it is a live interactive sports show.
    The Second Captains podcast is not.

The majority of those who listen to the podcast still probably listen to Off The Ball. The new team might be fairly poor, but it's available every night for three hours.

Nonsense. If the new team was "much worse" their listenership figures would be much worse. What you are implying is insulting to anyone who continues to listen to the show.

The new team are doing fine, if they were "really poor" they would have lost listeners. It's pretty simple, people wouldn't listen to a show if they didn't like the presenters, regardless of the content of the show.

I think a lot of people were just angry at Eoin/Ken/Murph walking out after their ultimatum backfired, and that anger was misdirected towards Newstalk, George Hook and the new team. No matter who replaced McDevitt and co. it was never going to please some people who were adamant that the show's listenership would plummet without the original team. Some people were never going to give the new line up a chance and it appeared as though some people wanted the new line up to fail.

Eoin and the boys got a bit too big for their boots, it backfired. They were good, but as has been proven, they were not irreplaceable. And anyway, a mild increase in listenership but not a significant change, nothing much has changed really.

They were good, and I personally miss them, but they were the architects of their own downfall, and Off The Ball is still a quality show, though VERY different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Right on the dot - were you counting down, blue4ever?! :pp Great work - you exceed all expectations!

My unsophisticated observations:

Dubliners continue to turn off music stations, en-masse (largely because of decline in youth listenership): not sure what caused FM104 to so dramatically gain market-share (ofc, some of it is accounted for by 98FM's decline), but we now see it back to where it was a few quarters ago. Today FM, which retains a lot of talk and "banter", has held up relatively well. Nova, which has something of a niche, has consequently improved its share. Technology surely spells the end for music radio. Therefore, maybe 2FM is right to go down the route it is, rather than, as Jim Carroll in the IT recommended, playing better music. Also, they are clearly targeting the Dublin and youth market with their new breakfast team.

How can RTE allow Arena to continue? I understand the need to protect certain content from commercial pressures, but, apart from the fact that it's a catch-all hotchpotch of a show, having it on four nights a week is just having a laugh! They should look across the water and mimic Radio 4: more comedy, more science, fewer magazine shows.

Drivetime's fall-off is interesting considering all other equivalent slots have held up fairly well. Also, the fact that it takes over from Mooney without getting any lift.

Could Morning Ireland's increase be tracking a reduction in unemployment?!

Marian Finucane is a big winner. I have mixed thoughts about her as a presenter, but there is evidently some Finucane Factor that leads people to tune-in. However, she, unquestionably, has one of the prime-slots on Irish radio - as evidence by the Business' figures - and the length of her show sets her up nicely to catch people who are travelling on the weekend.

One of the best shows on Irish Radio - This Week - has disimproved as Finucane on Sunday, which leads into it, has improved.

Too early to fully comment on PK/SO'R. It looks like both sides can be relatively happy: Newstalk not embarrassed; RTE more than held up. It remains to be seen to what extent Kenny's rising tide lifts Newstalk's boats.

Sport, in general, seems to have gained in popularity, possibly accounting for Off the Ball increase.

I'll probably add some more thoughts later.

Without ilevel.ie, I would be dependent on station press releases and mediocre press coverage.

• Advertisement

Off The Ball is still a quality show, though VERY different now.

Is it really? Content wise?
    Don't get me wrong, I still listen to it for the contributors but have to conclude that the current presenters are, in the main, terrible. Like bad hospital radio terrible.
    Now, that's my opinion and it matters not. The stats show that sports broadcasting with quality contributors is the winner and the last group of presenters have been largely shown up to be queenie divas.
    The response to them from those who listen to sports radio at night is indifference.
    They have been replaced by what I would call vastly inferior talent and it seems it doesn't matter.
    This, of course, may change in a few books time.

Right on the dot - were you counting down, blue4ever?! :

I was going to PM you yesterday with the post about the 150k for PK :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Just a theory but is there any common demographic between the audience that Tubridy (2FM) has lost and the audience that Whelan (LyricFM) has gained? It seems that RTE has three RTE1 channels now.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Hanalei wrote: »

Eoin and the boys got a bit too big for their boots, it backfired.

Not this crap again. The have the most listened to podcast in the country. The same number of people who had listened to them on radio followed them over to the Irish Times. The Irish Times has just recently started selling advertising spots on the podcasts. And the second series of their TV starts in march. So how has it backfired exactly?

I went from listening to the old football show religiously every night to hardly ever tuning in to the new OTB. Everyone I know who had listened to the old show feels the same way. I know that's a ridiculously small sample size, but I'm sure plenty of people who post on here could say the same thing. This isn't being reflected in figures and I find that to be a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So aside from OTB & lunchtime,Pat Kenny is the least popular show on NT.

Is 96,000 much of a difference over what Tom Dunne was getting?

Dunne was getting between 50-55,000 each book.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Not this crap again. The have the most listened to podcast in the country. The same number of people who had listened to them on radio followed them over to the Irish Times. The Irish Times has just recently started selling advertising spots on the podcasts. And the second series of their TV starts in march. So how has it backfired exactly?

They demanded an earlier slot, and instead they were told to clear out their desks and were placed on "gardening leave" for a few months.

Their desired outcome was a 6pm start. Did they get their desired outcome? No. Regardless of what went afterwards, Newstalk called their bluff, and sacked them. So yeah, it backfired big time.

As for what they have done since? A decent podcast coupled with a bit of a disappointing tv show. A successful podcast is all well and good but it's not even a little close to the same as what they offered on a live radio slot.

bureau2009 wrote: »

It really annoys me that RTE have Mooney saying at the end of his show "Next is Drive Time With Mary Wilson, The most listened to drive time show in the country"... RTE can try to brainwash us as much as they want, but you cant just take a court reporter and make her in to a broadcaster. She's dreadful, but the fact that she hosts a prime show on the national broadcaster means the show gets huge ratings..

Olivia O' LAYERY ... Portlaois-A ... Just like Joe Duffy, she has her own fekn dictionary..

Expunge wrote: »
    Is it really? Content wise?
    Don't get me wrong, I still listen to it for the contributors but have to conclude that the current presenters are, in the main, terrible. Like bad hospital radio terrible.
    Now, that's my opinion and it matters not. The stats show that sports broadcasting with quality contributors is the winner and the last group of presenters have been largely shown up to be queenie divas.
    The response to them from those who listen to sports radio at night is indifference.
    They have been replaced by what I would call vastly inferior talent and it seems it doesn't matter.
    This, of course, may change in a few books time.

Content largely the same of course, when I was saying it was very different I was referring to the presenters and their dynamic and so on.

The current presenters are not "terrible", that's grossly unfair, if they were terrible, nobody would listen to them. I think you're mixing up "I really don't like the new presenters" with "the current presenters are terrible". If you don't like them, fair enough. I absolutely would not argue with you over your personal tastes as that would quite frankly be a bit daft!

But they're not terrible, they are competent professionals who regardless of what any of us think of them have managed to retain the same audience that their predecessors pulled in. For the record, I too preferred McDevitt.

They demanded an earlier slot, and instead they were told to clear out their desks and were placed on "gardening leave" for a few months.

Their desired outcome was a 6pm start. Did they get their desired outcome? No. Regardless of what went afterwards, Newstalk called their bluff, and sacked them. So yeah, it backfired big time.

Except that's not what happened. They resigned. Saying that they were bluffing is just speculation on your part.

I was going to PM you yesterday with the post about the 150k for PK :rolleyes:

I regret phrasing is so badly: it sounds like I thought this book would have him on 150k - now that would be good!

Shame there's not more chatter about the numbers. Anything not mentioned that stood out for you?

Yea, you can see from the moniker, Blue4ever, I'm a city chap - and I do the Nationals and the Dublin Stations. Anyway I got a decent email from the deep south nudgeing me to look at the multi-county figures (Beat, iRadio) - which I hadnt and should really. Because they give the national a run for the money.
    They are making decent headway as well against the local stations. One that, it looks as if the locals are going to hell in a hand cart and rapidly. At one point you couldnt afford them - but at this rate it could be that one or two go to the wall (the truly independent ones) .
    I never listened to the chap but the Hector thing perplexes me.
    Pat: Max 172k - I wonder what the reasonable expectations of the station were as to his potential audience when they signed him!

Except that's not what happened. They resigned. Saying that they were bluffing is just speculation on your part.

Its like Collins/Dev or Pro/Anti treaty.

Here's what happened -they walked, they now podcast - if you want to hear them - podcast.
    The show continued and does better now that it did then - fact.
    Everyone has moved on..... please join them!

Its like Collins/Dev or Pro/Anti treaty.

Here's what happened -they walked, they now podcast - if you want to hear them - podcast.
    The show continued and does better now that it did then - fact.

No, I shall go on posting about what I want to on here(with in the limits of the charter of course). I couldn't care less if this topic doesn't interest you. Skip over it, or put me on ignore if you wish - I won't be offended.:)

Except that's not what happened. They were sacked. Saying that they resigned is just speculation on your part.

What I've posted above is exactly as valid as what you have posted, you can't say for certain that they resigned, you too are speculating. I'm basing my own personal "speculation" on an article near the time where it was outlined that the McDevitt and co kept pitching the 6pm idea, Denis O'Brien kept refusing, deadlock, eventually O'Brien offered 6pm online stream start running in parallel with the last hour of George Hook, OTB team refused, eventually O'Brien got fed up and pulled the plug and told them their services were no longer required.

I don't have much interest in getting into this, it's all a bit like that whole "He was sent home", "No, he walked out on his country", going round in circles is a waste of time :p

Except that's not what happened. They were sacked. Saying that they resigned is just speculation on your part.

What I've posted above is exactly as valid as what you have posted, you can't say for certain that they resigned, you too are speculating. I'm basing my own personal "speculation" on an article near the time where it was outlined that the McDevitt and co kept pitching the 6pm idea, Denis O'Brien kept refusing, deadlock, eventually O'Brien offered 6pm online stream start running in parallel with the last hour of George Hook, OTB team refused, eventually O'Brien got fed up and pulled the plug and told them their services were no longer required.

I don't have much interest in getting into this, it's all a bit like that whole "He was sent home", "No, he walked out on his country", going round in circles is a waste of time :p

Look I'm not speculating, it is what was reported at the time i.e they resigned, but offered to work out their notice, but were told to clear desks instead. I know the article you're talking about and it never said in there that they were sacked. Which means the weren't bluffing...etc...etc. Anyway, it's all a bit academic now.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/entire-newstalks-off-the-ball-team-resigns-29107988.html

• Advertisement

Haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Look I'm not speculating, it is what was reported at the time i.e they resigned, but offered to work out their notice, but were told to clear desks instead. I know the article you're talking about and it never said in there that they were sacked. Which means the weren't bluffing...etc...etc. Anyway, it's all a bit academic now.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/entire-newstalks-off-the-ball-team-resigns-29107988.html

Now i'm no expert but if they would have offered their resignations, the station would have accepted and placed them on gardening leave if that was the case, so they would not work out the last 3 months. If they were sacked they would have been free to walk into another job as long as they didn't accept any pay off's? So would we assume they offered a resignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Being sacked with paid gardening leave is neither uncommon in radio nor unexpected, particularly when you're going in to the great unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

As always thanks to blue4ever for the excellent graphs and figures he puts together for ilevel.ie and us mortals on this forum. My views are mainly based around the Dublin book. I have access to the other books if required and am happy to answer questions on it but these notes are Dublin focused.

Here are my thoughts, 24 hours after the figures were published:

As I have been banging on about for a long while now, the drop off in Youth listenership to Radio in Dublin is now reaching a serious level yet it is not even talked about within radio, or to be fair advertising, circles. 1 in 4 Dubliners aged 15-34 now listen to no radio at all (in the terrestrial sense). For years, Radio stations have been paranoid about mentioning or ever crediting other radio stations for fear they would lose audience but I heard several radio stations over Christmas advertising Spotify! This issue is biting Spin, 104 and Phantom in the ass and it's not going to get better. Stations just cannot build and regenerate audience like they used to.

As for the figures themselves I'll divide it into my usual good book/bad book. Good book this time around for Newstalk in particular who are now running at 9% share which is pretty impressive. In the younger demographics they are now on a par with RTE 1 in terms of reach and are picking up audience at good times of the day too. The Pat v Sean debate is very much still open but as has been pointed out, both RTE and Newstalk are gaining audience (SOR in Dublin was unchanged at 134 while PK reached 49k) and this is at the expense of music stations.

Good book to for 2FM, proving that there is indeed no such thing as bad publicity. This is a recall survey so the more you are in the papers, the more listeners you get it seems! Hector picked up listeners but that doesn't invalidate the decision to replace him with a more 'Dublin-Friendly' show and younger focused schedule. Whether Dan Healy's decisions are correct is an entirely different matter, this is just a numbers based discussion!

Good book to for Today FM who have pulled back some of the losses they have sustained in recent JNLR books. 6.2% share in Dublin is respectable although it's a full 3% behind their national average and only half of their share in the South East! They have an issue with afternoons still and losing KC back to Cork will increase that challenge. Something for the new PD at Marconi to think about. Decent increase too for Nova who have now grown their audience to a 4.2% share which compares favourably with other classic rock stations around the world. Whether the move to a more female-friendly breakfast show and musical output proves to be a good one remains to be seen. They are delivering a very decent audience with a very specific interest now to advertisers and I'm not sure about the merits of changing that. Continuing growth too for 4FM although the figures are still very poor. If the upward trend continues though, they should reach respectibility (they need to be at least at Nova's level) eventually. Deep pockets required.

Bad book at Macken House with FM104 losing listeners at the younger end (as mentioned above) but 12.1% is still very impressive and somewhere between 10-11% is probably a more normal level. The figures are probably artificially boosted by the repeated pressing of the self destruct button at 98. Q102 have had a big drop which is not the first time that Q/Lite have had dramatic rises and drops in audience. Unlike 104 and others, the support for Q102 is in political terms, soft but 1.5% is still quite a drop.

98 and Spin both reported drops too and Spin are the main station with the generating younger audience problem. This could be a serious issue for them in the next couple of years. For 98, the slump continues. Even with FM104 dropping significantly in recent books, 98 still don't even have 50% of their share having headed the market for so long. Finally, the poor relation in the Communicorp 6 has managed to drop even more audience - Phantom now has a market share of 0.8% and a listened yesterday of 15k. Even in it's youngest rock listener segment (15-24) which it should dominate, Nova has twice it's reach. There have been some small improvements in weekend reach and share but given that Phantom had dropped to 5,000 listeners per day a year ago, everything is relative. I'm not sure that Communicorp have the capacity, much less the interest to turn any of their problem stations around.

Happy to deal with any queries. My graphs are nowhere near as good as Blue4Ever though.

soc160 wrote: »
    Now i'm no expert but if they would have offered their resignations, the station would have accepted and placed them on gardening leave if that was the case, so they would not work out the last 3 months. If they were sacked they would have been free to walk into another job as long as they didn't accept any pay off's? So would we assume they offered a resignation.

I'm no expect either. I'm just going on the fact that all the newspaper coverage of events at the time stated that they resigned. I don't think you will find any source saying they were sacked.

Yea, you can see from the moniker, Blue4ever, I'm a city chap - and I do the Nationals and the Dublin Stations. Anyway I got a decent email from the deep south nudging me to look at the multi-county figures (Beat, iRadio) - which I hadn't and should really. Because they give the national a run for the money.
    They are making decent headway as well against the local stations. One that, it looks as if the locals are going to hell in a hand cart and rapidly. At one point you couldn't afford them - but at this rate it could be that one or two go to the wall (the truly independent ones). I never listened to the chap but the Hector thing perplexes me. Pat: Max 172k - I wonder what the reasonable expectations of the station were as to his potential audience when they signed him!

I would also love to know what Newstalk's projections were. A 180k listenership (a reasonable expectation for after four surveys), the unquestioned improvement in credibility from having Kenny in their stable, and the medium/long-term benefits those will bring to all aspects of the station would probably have them quite content. As I said previously, they can be relieved that this appears to be far from an embarrassment

In the last year or so, Newstalk has substantially improved its weekend offering. Below is the schedule which I previously posted in another thread.
    Saturday

7 - Documentary
    8 - Under Covers - Presented by Henry McKean; documents everyday life, relying extensively on vox pops
    9 - Best of Pat Kenny
    10 - Futureproof - "Latest developments from the world of Science and Technology"
    11 - Down to Business - As name suggests, and more SME/Entrepreneur-focused than RTE's The Business
    13 - Talking Point with Sarah Carey - Round-table discussion
    14 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Picture Show - "Movie news, reviews, interviews, profiles, movie history and stories about trends in cinema."
    19 - Global Village - Focuses on social justice and other issues
    21 - The Green Room - "Behind the scenes of popular culture with the arts, movies, interviews and live music"
    23 - Futureproof (repeat)

Sunday

7 - Talking Books - Reviews, discussion, interviews, readings
    8 - World in Motion - "An hour of the most pertinent stories in world affairs"
    9 - Best of George Hook
    10 - MindFeed - Norah Casey "asks a series of thought provoking questions of an eclectic panel"
    11 - The Sunday Show - Politics-focused round-table discussion
    13 - Off the Ball - Sport
    18 - Documentary
    19 - Talking History - Wide-ranging history show
    21 - The Marc Coleman Show - Frequently heated discussion show with polemical host

It replicates and, in some cases, improves upon much of RTE's weekend offering.

It would seem that Newstalk is aware that five of the top ten, and ten of the top twenty, most listened-to shows are on the weekend, and sought to get in on that action. Have you any numbers on how their shows compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I would also love to know what Newstalk's projections were. A 180k listenership (a reasonable expectation for after four surveys), the unquestioned improvement in credibility from having Kenny in their stable, and the medium/long-term benefits those will bring to all aspects of the station would probably have them quite content. As I said previously, they can be relieved that this appears to be far from an embarrassment

In the last year or so, Newstalk has substantially improved its weekend offering. Below is the schedule which I previously posted in another thread.

It replicates and, in some cases, improves upon much of RTE's weekend offering.

It would seem that Newstalk is aware that five of the top ten, and ten of the top twenty, most listened-to shows are on the weekend, and sought to get in on that action. Have you any numbers on how their shows compare?

Know I'm not really progressing discussion with this post but I just want to say nicely pointed out. Newstalk really have upped their game at the weekend over the past while. Even about 3 years ago (I think) the only non repeats they had at the weekend was Sport, futureproof, talking history and good old Dil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Happy to deal with any queries. My graphs are nowhere near as good as Blue4Ever though.

Any views on Sunshine 106.8 ? Licence decision imminent btw

Infoanon wrote: »
    Any views on Sunshine 106.8 ? Licence decision imminent btw

Infoanon, Sunshine is an interesting one.

Despite obviously operating on auto pilot it has maintained a reasonable audience for several years. It peaked at about 3.3% share a few years back, ironically when it was probably more "country" than it is now and has lot audience in small increments since then but has stabilised in the last couple of books and is now sitting at 2.5%, having just been overtaken by 4FM who took nearly 5 years to get to that level!

They are a bit not one thing or the other though and that will eventually hurt them. The whole fallacy of the country format not being of interest to the agencies is something that I think they bought into more than it was ever a reality. Agencies follow numbers and they will follow country or whatever the format is if it delivers a bankable audience. Another danger for them of course is that the competing proposal for that licence is very strong so it will be interesting to see what the BAI decides this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Maybe the future of radio is talk radio only. The days of listening to music with constant ad interruptions, DJ talk etc are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I am genuinely shocked that phantom's listener base has increased, although at 5k last year you could argue it was non existent as a station at that point. Is that a steady rise, or a jump in a certain book following programme changes?

I am genuinely shocked that phantom's listener base has increased, although at 5k last year you could argue it was non existent as a station at that point. Is that a steady rise, or a jump in a certain book following programme changes?

Slutmonkey,

Which figure are you looking at to get the increase? In terms of listener base, the average audience in 2013 was 16,750. This compares to 18,250 in 2012, 21,750 in 2011 and 25,500 in 2010. The figure quoted in the Irish Times piece today (15,000) is the most recent 'Listened Yesterday' figure which compares to 16,000 a year ago and 29,000 in Book 4 of 2009 which is where the comparison is being made.

What will be of small comfort at least to Phantom, the weekend position has improved this time around with Saturday reach and share having increased in this book compared to a year ago. Due to the smaller sampler size (approx 25% of weekday sample) the numbers tend to jump around more but at least the Saturday trend is more positive than the other days of the week.

From this, although I appear to be confused. Last year's listener number was 5k, this year is 15k?
    Finally, the poor relation in the Communicorp 6 has managed to drop even more audience - Phantom now has a market share of 0.8% and a listened yesterday of 15k. Even in it's youngest rock listener segment (15-24) which it should dominate, Nova has twice it's reach. There have been some small improvements in weekend reach and share but given that Phantom had dropped to 5,000 listeners per day a year ago, everything is relative. I'm not sure that Communicorp have the capacity, much less the interest to turn any of their problem stations around.

Is "Listened Yesterday" a very much different statistic to "Listeners per day"?

I see where you are now. Confusion is all my fault.

The 5000 figure I mentioned was a particularly bad Saturday figure from a few books back. Generally, the weekend "Listened Yesterday" numbers have been around 10-15000 but the 5000 was one particularly low point.

The listened yesterday figure is the one from the latest JNLR book, so in Phantom's case the figure is currently 15,000 (half of the figure from 4 years ago as quoted by the Irish Times). The "listeners per day" figure is an average that I calculate by adding the 4 quarterly listened yesterday figures together and dividing by 4 to get an average for the year. The 4 quarters of 2013, averaged out come to 16.750 compared to the same sum done on the 2010 books which gives 25,500.

So the lesson from this book, is better on Saturdays and Sundays but worse on weekdays in terms of both reach (listened yesterday) and share.

Ah see now. So the two Muppets have been driving us up the wall every morning to no good effect then. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I am going to be incredibly bold - fortune favours the brave - and predict that Kenny will not surpass 150 k listeners i.e. about 70k up on last JNLRs, which only covered a month of his tenure at Newstalk. The extra listeners will be primarily stay-ons from NT Breakfast, so O'Rourke will lose no more than ten percent. I have stocked up on eggs, and readied my face, for later today. :)

Also, Tubridy to lose yet more listeners (how couldn't he with the breakfast slot being such a shambles?).

Coming very late to view the latest JNLR figures and before reading the rest of the posts I congratulate you sincerely on your bravery and what forums like this needs is more people like you who encourage people to take an interest, not important if you get it right or wrong, thanks again!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement