Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Marty Whelan Poll (3rd edition)

• 23-07-2013 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

So, on mature reflection, and having given him time to bed in and refine his 'thing', are you glad that Marty is now a permanent fixture on Lyric FM ?

Are you happy with Marty being on Lyric FM ? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

I enjoy him in the mornings, I can see the side of people who would argue he isn't suited to the station, but I enjoy him

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Though people may not be happy with him, the show has grown 41%, that is pretty shocking growth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I used to really enjoy Marty's afternoon show on 2fm back in the day. Loved the thing that shared the slot with him..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

stock> wrote: »
    I used to really enjoy Marty's afternoon show on 2fm back in the day. Loved the thing that shared the slot with him..........

What thing?
    Do you mean Thing? If so, that was Jim O'Neil, not Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

If Marty is so good, why does Lyric change completely at 10am? If the MOTR crap that Whelan hums over is so good, why not keep it up for the rest of the day? Why can't RTE management at least be honest and drop any pretensions about it being a music and arts station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

DownBeaten wrote: »
    If Marty is so good, why does Lyric change completely at 10am? If the MOTR crap that Whelan hums over is so good, why not keep it up for the rest of the day? Why can't RTE management at least be honest and drop any pretensions about it being a music and arts station.
    Because it might interfere with their other MOTR stations RTE1 and RTE1 1/2. Whelan has alienated a lot of listeners with IQs greater than room temperature - the ones that want to listen to Classical music rather the babbling bozo wibbling of a superannuated DJ who might have been "cool" for two minutes during the 1970s. It would not be surprising if Whelan had picked up some of Tubridy's lost audience as they are both aiming at the same market demographic.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Greyham wrote: »
    Though people may not be happy with him, the show has grown 41%, that is pretty shocking growth!
    The Tubridy effect?

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Given such unbelievable growth, we'll never be rid of him now.

Though I was just thinking that 4 years is about the time they tend to leave presenters in one slot before changing it up. I cling to the hope that MW will get sick of those very early mornings.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

I wouldn't say the growth is that unbelieveable.
    It's now at 41,000, same as the show after it and 1,000 behind Liz Nolan's drivetime show, which seems to be in decline.

He's on that slot about 5 years. RTE throw any and all promotion opportunities at this show and ignore all else on that station. Christ almighty, we have to hear about this fella's hair implants now.

Forget coverage of the Wexford Opera Festival, West Cork Chamber Music festival, Met Opera New York, fabulous concerts from all over Europe every morning and evening.
    No sir, these things are not important. Hair Plugs and stupid texts from cretins are what RTE want you to know about.
    Fookin vandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

He plays some ridiculous music some mornings- switch the dial kindof stuff- and the jokes, so lame and old but he reads them out as if no-one has heard of them before- John Creedon would be good in this slot

• Advertisement

John Creedon would be good in this slot

This is not a go at John Creedon who I think is a good broadcaster but....

Can we not have one publicly funded network where we have to have 'personality' driven content lashed at us?

Lyric was supposed to be about music not crappy jokes and third rate Terry Wogan impressions and fekin crooners etc.
    Creedon wasn't much better than Whelan when he occupied the afternoon slot on Radio One a number of years ago with the 'funnies' and awful music content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Lyric is (supposed to be) an Irish version of BBC Radio 3. Where Marty should/wants to be is on an Irish version of BBC Radio 2. Problem is we don't have one.

If he is to be moved off Lyric, it's unlikely that he would be moved to 2FM. If he was be moved to Radio 1, there are four music slots available - Risin Time, Early Lunchtime Music, The Creedon Slot, or Late Date. Take your pick.

The other alternative is that Radio 1 becomes an Irish BBC Radio 4, and all music content (and DJs) moved to a digital channel like Gold. The only problem with that scenario is that Radio 1's (music) listenership is an older demographic and they generally don't have devices capable of receiving digital radio (or don't know how to use them if they do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Expunge wrote: »
    Lyric was supposed to be about music not crappy jokes and third rate Terry Wogan impressions and fekin crooners etc.

Case in point: Gay 'Giz' another job lads' Byrne.

I don't want to hear your little anecdotes in between the songs. I don't care if you went for a lovely walk with Kathleen yesterday, it's not relevant.

It's nearly worse than Hook ****eing on about the 'lovely Ingrid'.

'Ya who Gay? What ya doing, Gay? P Flynn... What ya doing P?'

Yep, Serf, but the problem we have at the moment is that RTE management think it's alright to put the Irish version of Dale Winton on the Irish version of Radio 3. It's just not right.

As a committed Classical listener, I'd be happy to leave the lyric FM network to degenerates like Whelan if a full classical service was guaranteed on DAB nationwide. I'd invest in the recievers, if the people who run RTE made a committment to provide the service. You can't trust these goons is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Expunge wrote: »
    I'd be happy to leave the lyric FM network to degenerates like Whelan if a full classical service was guaranteed on DAB nationwide.
    That's an interesting idea. (A re-branded) Lyric becomes BBC R2, the Classical stuff moves to a new Digital Channel RTE Classical, and Lyric then takes all the music slots from Radio 1.

The new Lyric Line up could be:

05:00-08:00 Risin Time
    08:00-11:00 Marty
    11:00-14:00 Lunchtime (Ronan Collins)
    14:00-17:00 Larry Gogan
    17:00-20:00 Drivetime (Duine Eile)
    20:00-23:00 John Creedon
    23:00-02:00 Late Date
    02:00-05:00 Overnight (Robojock)

Not a bad line-up if you're of/over a certain age and like MOR. Cheap enough to run too, with each of these being a one-person operation.

Of course, you then have seven hours of mostly non-peak time to fill up on Radio 1 with speech content. You could fill those with Sport (move the sports programme from its bizzare slot on 2FM), Business/Personal Finance (make George Lee earn his salary), European Current Affairs (we live in the continent but hear fúck all about what's happening outside of the UK - a bonus would be that this programme could be paid for by the European Commission/Parliament), Technology, Health, Science ...

Advertisement