Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets Sellers

Options
  • 19-12-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Taking a stroll down through Henry Street earlier in the week and i couldnt help notice all the Christmas market stalls selling everything from perfumes to handbags. Now im no Eagle Eye Roy, my eye sight is actually pretty bad but i couldnt help notice that all the goods on sale looked like they were counterfeit. Are they counterfeit?

Im always reading about counterfeit clothes etc being seized by customs so how are these getting away with? Is it because its Crimbo that its giving the blind eye? I bought a cheap perfume gift set and a little electronic puppy as a joke present for the other half, looking forward to seeing her face when she opens that but do people really give these things from the stalls as serious gifts?

I also stumbled upon a homeless lad with a dog & rabbit which i taught was amazing, struggling to get by yet he has a dog & rabbit to look after. Fair play to him, they keep him company & he obviously looks after & cares for them. This is why I love Dublin, its so random

Comments

I always wondered what would happen if you stole something from those stalls and ran away. I mean, it's not like they can really go to the Gardaí about it.

Anyone who buys any of those goods and gets a bad deal gets what is coming to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I also stumbled upon a homeless lad with a dog & rabbit which i taught was amazing, struggling to get by yet he has a dog & rabbit to look after. Fair play to him, they keep him company & he obviously looks after & cares for them. This is why I love Dublin, its so random

he no longer has the rabbit...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1204/356761-rabbit-liffey-john-byrne-homeless/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I always wondered what would happen if you stole something from those stalls and ran away. I mean, it's not like they can really go to the Gardaí about it.

Anyone who buys any of those goods and gets a bad deal gets what is coming to them.

Are they 'Christmas markets' or just 'markets'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dublin doesnt have Christmas markets.
    We have stalls selling knock-off junk and tack, with Toblerones and 'wrappin' paper.. foive sheets for a euro!'.
    Go to Germany / Austria or other European cities if you want to see real Christmas Markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

RoboRat wrote: »

They must have gave him a new rabbit because he had one and it was eating a carrot

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As I said, go elsewhere in Europe if you want real Christmas markets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

If you get caught y the stall holders then you would be very glad to see the gardai appearing:P to rescue you.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    As I said, go elsewhere in Europe if you want real Christmas markets! :D

I'm going to check them tomorrow!

I was at the Berlin ones last week, and Galway the week before that! No contest on the Berlin ones because they're bigger and it snowed, It was fairly magical like - but the things they were selling in Germany were the very same as what they were selling in Galway! In fact, they were more expensive in Berlin.

Anyway, in answer to the OP - I'm fairly sure they're "copies" like you can buy a Louise Wuitton bag, but if you want a Louis Vuitton bad you should head to BT :D

Never understood people buying fake designer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have stalls selling knock-off junk and tack, with Toblerones and 'wrappin' paper.. foive sheets for a euro!'.
    Go to Germany / Austria or other European cities if you want to see real Christmas Markets.

Nothing like a boiling hot pint of beer at 8am in the morning with nuts floating in it.

Sadly i found out after 7 or so that you were only meant to have one, interesting train journey home :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

Watch out for the counterfeit Mr Kipling mince pies.............

But I must say, they're exceedingly good fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah, they sell worthless crap. Wouldnt mind but they arent exactly cheap.
    I was walking by one last night and it was 7 euro for a tin of cadburys roses :pac:

Tell me again why I should give them 7 euro, over say Tesco, when the expiry date is going to be something like October 2013 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They're not real markets, they're one step up from Del Boy Trotter selling 'something that fell off the back of a lorry' out of a suitcase.

They're not real markets, they're one step up from Del Boy Trotter selling 'something that fell off the back of a lorry' out of a suitcase.

I wouldnt even go that far, thats a compliment :p They are just 'del boys' who get to set up a stall once a year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Slightly off topic, but i seen him on the Hapenny Bridge yesterday with his rabbit,

Also the smell of weed by the stall's on Henry street is insane,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not really unique or a Dublin thing. It came from the continent where is very common especially in Spain and Portugal. Saw it there about 10 years ago. It is to get sympathy from people as they don't like to see an animal in distress.

After the rabbit throwing instance there was suddenly more people begging with rabbits. Marketing works in all walks of life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

yes he does...he saved it!

In New York, theres a homeless lad down the block with a squirrel or a badger of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

What is it with Toblerones and Henry Street, are the always hijacking Toblerone lorries this time of year?

Toblerones are cheap and easy to buy in bulk. Thats why they all sell them.
    The same goes for everything else really. Its either bought from some cheap wholesaler up north or some cheap crap bought over the internet.

I've learned to stay away from the Henry Street stalls. Bought a belt for my brother's christmas present last year and it didnt fit him, despite me measuring out the belt on my own waist before buying off the stall (Switch-a-roo?) But anyways my brother put a notch in the belt so it fit him... problem was a few weeks later the belt buckle fell off. Cheap piece of crap. Still cost me a tenner tho. Should of went into Pennys or Dunnes and got a better quality belt for much less.

• Advertisement

Toblerones are cheap and easy to buy in bulk. Thats why they all sell them.
    The same goes for everything else really. Its either bought from some cheap wholesaler up north or some cheap crap bought over the internet.

I've learned to stay away from the Henry Street stalls. Bought a belt for my brother's christmas present last year and it didnt fit him, despite me measuring out the belt on my own waist before buying off the stall (Switch-a-roo?) But anyways my brother put a notch in the belt so it fit him... problem was a few weeks later the belt buckle fell off. Cheap piece of crap. Still cost me a tenner tho. Should of went into Pennys or Dunnes and got a better quality belt for much less.

Thats a belter of a story...sorry

Thats a belter of a story...sorry

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We have stalls selling knock-off junk and tack, with Toblerones and 'wrappin' paper.. foive sheets for a euro!'..

Pretty pointless alrght.

Who in their right mind would be looking for wrapping paper at Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes he does...he saved it!
    "I wasn't going to leave him there," he said.
    "I had to get him, I had to jump in to get him. Barney died in my arms. I got him under the bridge and gave him the kiss of life."

Sounds to me like he died... unless its some kind of Lazarus rabbit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Taking a stroll down through Henry Street earlier in the week and i couldnt help notice all the Christmas market stalls selling everything from perfumes to handbags. Now im no Eagle Eye Roy, my eye sight is actually pretty bad but i couldnt help notice that all the goods on sale looked like they were counterfeit. Are they counterfeit?

Im always reading about counterfeit clothes etc being seized by customs so how are these getting away with? Is it because its Crimbo that its giving the blind eye? I bought a cheap perfume gift set and a little electronic puppy as a joke present for the other half, looking forward to seeing her face when she opens that but do people really give these things from the stalls as serious gifts?

Having a dog is the oldest trick in the book used by beggars to get sympathy from the public. People are more concerned about the dog than the beggar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Having a dog is the oldest trick in the book used by beggars to get sympathy from the public. People are more concerned about the dog than the beggar
    I carry tins of pedigree chum in my jeans especially for these lads. They always look delighted to get them. Since this "dog-beggar-tag-teaming" has become more common I have been forced to carry several dozen tins with the result that I no longer walk around town as much, as Pedigree Chum is fcuking heavy. The bag of carrots in a sack over my shoulder is getting seriously dull too but I am loathe to discriminate against the rabbit-handlers. If they start keeping poultry I'm doing all my shopping on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sounds to me like he died... unless its some kind of Lazarus rabbit.

he gave him the kiss of life and it worked!!
    before both were rescued by firefighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Most of it is counterfeit ****e. Hence why there's giant pictures of various celebrities you can tell have been printed off the internet being sold for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Santa Cruz wrote: »

It also makes it somewhat more difficult to process these individuals in the event of an arrest,as the relevant animal protection agencies have to be notified.

There is no provision in most Garda Stations for stabling or kenneling beasts,whilst their owners are incarcarated....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I was only talking to herself about this last week. Amazing how for 6 months of the year the customs were all over Henry st and Moore st trying to catch the tobacco sellers then as soon as xmas stalls arrive the customs lads disappear. Was funny to walk down Henry st and hear lads shouting "Paco Rabban aftershave now 70% off only a tenner"! Surely this cheap knockoff aftershave is dangerous? God knows what chemicals were in it and as for the cheap toys and make up.:rolleyes:

Advertisement