Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ringing in the 2014 effort.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

If you can, next time you should watch either BBC1 Scotland or STV, been living here 8years and for first 3 I missed my Hogmanay fix.

Even got my Irish Fiance now watching it, struggles with the accent but its miles better than watching either RTE or even Jools Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

It was crap. Forced, cheap looking, not much atmosphere.

Just what you expect from the incestuous RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

If you can, next time you should watch either BBC1 Scotland or STV, been living here 8years and for first 3 I missed my Hogmanay fix.

Even got my Irish Fiance now watching it, struggles with the accent but its miles better than watching either RTE or even Jools Holland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

RTE is pure gank....... what did you expect, it was the end of the gathering also so it was bound to be sh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Jaysus, that's mad Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Who usually highlights those things.. Jedward or the likes?

Having Madness perform was a step up from the usual shite

You could say they went "one step beyond"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It was all about the presenters and Joe Duffy going on about the TD's pensions. It was New Year's eve for feck sake not the Late Late. It was cringe pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Glad to see their spending their massive budget on other things than big wages........ you know like quality programs and such like ... oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

kkhornet wrote: »
    You could say they went "one step beyond"

Damnit i wanted to make that joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Daithi O Se, professional bogger.

Also, he's not even 40, must have had a hard life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Birneybau wrote: »
    Daithi O Se, professional bogger.

Also, he's not even 40, must have had a hard life.

Jesus Christ, I just looked it up, he was born in 1976. I was convinced he was 50. I am truly shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Even got my Irish Fiance now watching it, struggles with the accent but its miles better than watching either RTE or even Jools Holland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Joe Duffys presence at it just sums up RTE's approach to everything. No imagionation, stale and riding on the back of complacency.

This outdoor concert concept needs to change... No atmosphere or intimacy. They need to take a leaf out of Jool Hollands book except do it live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Will switch between these three next year . . . .

BBC1 London/NI for the London fireworks.
    BBC1 Scotland for Hogmanay/Edinburgh fireworks.
    BBC2 for Jools Holland's Hootenanny.

My thoughts on RTEs offering, from another thread > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88242180&postcount=266

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Was at that concert last night and it was brilliantly organised and Madness (who I've been a fan of since I was a child) were brilliant. Didn't see the whole thing on RTE but I thought the whole thing in real life looked really impressive and did Ireland proud. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i cringed when joe duffy started talking about the recession minutes before midnight. rte have no idea how to create a bit of atmosphere....maybe next year they should bring in some outsiders that have experience of putting on a good show...and as was said before madness was a step up from the usual tripe they have on nye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

i cringed when joe duffy started talking about the recession minutes before midnight. rte have no idea how to create a bit of atmosphere....maybe next year they should bring in some outsiders that have experience of putting on a good show...and as was said before madness was a step up from the usual tripe they have on nye

Didn't see it but would well believe it, remember one year they had the entire NYE show dedicated to negativity. The lad who does drivetime on the radio couldn't even wish people a happy new year, said something like 'we wish you, well not too optimistically, a happy new year'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Looked at BBC's schedule for the Xmas - 2 Ronny's, Morcambe and Wise - followed by - more 2 Ronny's and a bit more of - Morcambe and Wise.

Drag yourself out of the 1970's BBC. They're are all dead and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That's not English he speaks, it's some dialect belonging to the Orangutan family.

One of the few voices on TV where you're left putting the TV in slow motion just to hear him properly. Damien English is another that springs to mind...
    That's the beauty of regional accents and diversity. Give me a West Kerry brogue over a fake mid Atlantic D4 drawl any day!

It would be a boring world if we all spoke Queens English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Had RTEs new year prog recorded just to see Madness (and nothing else!) and it was brilliant! Loved the energy and the nostalgia. I really hate this time of year but at least they brightened it up for me.

Shame though having to even see Dathi and Joe being televised. Why the hell are RTE still wasting good airwaves on those two? :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement