Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joint Authors Story Number One

Options
  • 13-07-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

General rules for this thread:

Anyone can post a story on here about the glorious walled city of Francon with it's olive groves and citrus fields, overlooked by the smoking and yet quiescent Mount Sylviana.

The downside to this idyllic place are it's dark crime infested alleyways and the stomache churning smell from the river Slythe which is little more than an open sewer.

The scene is set in the late medieval/early renaissance period in a a warm Mediteranian country.

The land is divided up into independant city states.

You can post any kind of story you wish BUT it must fit in with the above scenario. Be your genre Romance, Historical, Thriller, Murder mystery or whatever. Anything at all goes if you fit it in with the said scenario.

You can invent characters as you see fit for your story. However you can not kill off or drastically change any characters already invented by another author.

If you have questions you must not post them in this thread. All posts must be a story. Questions can however be asked in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056988639 Which I advise you to read before posting anyway.

Word limit about 1000 words per posting. Not strict but be sensible. Shorter is better I think

The creative rights to the story will automatically be owned by Boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Mayor Drakus let out a roar. "Mary" his voice sounding furious as he called for his wife and lady Mayoress of Francon.

Mary entered the room through the huge ornate doors meekly. "Yes dear?" Her soft voice was polite in the sort of way a loving wife would often use to diffuse any anger in her darling husband. But it also carried an undertone of "You are messing with the wrong girl here sonny Jim."

"What in all hell is this?"

Markus Drakus held up a hand in which he grasped the offending article.

"Aww my dear you have found my lost embroidery needle. I have been searching for that all morning. Where was it?" Mary used her words to try and calm down her furious husband, although the last question may have been wrong.

"Where Was IT?" He snarled in fury. "Well I shall give you a clue I just sat in the official chair and you have been using that chair for embroidery again haven't you? Look at me I have a hole in my left bu...." He trailed off, stamped towards Mary, gripped her tightly by the shoulders and glared into her upturned face. Then his fierce features slammed down into hers in a powerful kiss. A few minutes later they seperated with a smile at each other. Markus had chosen well for a wife all those years ago, and Mary had no cause for complaints either, they were devoted to each other. She an aristocratic daughter of the Duke Di Monzini, and he the blacksmith of a small village. They had had to elope to get wedded as her family disagreed with the match. However in this case love had won out. That had been 30 years ago and although he had a touch of grey now and she had slightly more laughter lines they were both striking looking people. And they were still totally in love.

"Why do you insist on using the official chair for your embroidery? I had a meeting with the city councillors this morning and I had to sit on that damned needle for two hours." His voice was softer as he stroked her hair gently.

Mary Drakus smiled up at her husband and laughingly told him "It has the best light in the palace." She grabbed the offending needle and with a swirl of her dress, and then skipped happily away pausing at the door to blow a kiss back at him. This illicited a growl of pleasure from Markus, who would certainly have given chase if matters official had not reared up.

Markus Drakus, the son of a blacksmith and a blacksmith himself, had never wanted high office, let alone an official title. (He had been given the title of Earl by the King which he steadfastly refused to use)However when the people had revolted against the corruption of Mayor Scudger, Markus had found his name pushed forward by his customers as an honest well meaning man. This had gathered momentum without him even knowing until he was acclaimed ther new Mayor of Francon. The voting for office occured every 5 years and so far he had been a landslide victor for the past five of these votes. Sometimes honesty is the best policy. It also helps if you can get people working and earning money.

The first project he had 'engineered' was to reopen the old mines. Silver, lead, iron and coal were now flooding into the city. Although transport had been a problem at first he had sorted that out by his second project. The building of canals. This was still ongoing and a new canal was being dug at this very minute towards neighbouring towns and cities. Despite giving the rights to most of these projects directly to the town, the town elders had made certian a percentage was given directly to him and Mary. As the city propered so did Markus. Now a rich man, an entitled noble and a diplomatic politician he had finally found favour with Mary's family. Her father had even apologised in a roundabout way for his error in judgement and had sworn never to judge people by their status again. The current Duke, Mary's brother was a little less forgiving and was still antagonistic against Markus. Markus pretended not to notice for Mary's sake.

Nothing was perfect though and the city was still plagued by crime. Markus needed a good police force.

He now had to have a meeting with the councilors again to decide what to do about it. Cringeworthy, his personal secretary came in and told him the councillors were returning after lunch and were beginning to file into the official chamber. So with a reluctant glance at the door where Mary had left, he adjusted his mayoral gown and went back to the chamber.

"Ladies and gentlemen." His first words on seating himself, a little more carefully this time. "Our agenda for this afternoon is the crime rate. I want to know what we should do about it. It is now reaching plague proportions in some parts of the city."

"Police is what we need Sir" Said Colonel Glaus the oldest man in the room his beard bristling. " I had my ducks stolen from the lake this last week for heavens sake."

"Aye Police" went another councillor. All agreed that policing was the answer.

"Very well gentlemen, who should be put in charge?"

The room went quiet. They all knew they needed an honest man, and intelligent man and one who was brave enough to tackle the nemesis of Mr Wrythe the city's very own Godfather.

It was Colonel Glaus who provided the answer. "We could approach Admiral Di Studis about his son you know, the lad is nearly as big and as honest as yourself Markus and he is as clever as they come. If he can't do it then I doubt anyone can."

"But is he brave enough?" A voice from the far end asked.

"Sir." reiterated Glaus " I have known the Admiral's family for many many years, since iwas a cub scout myself and I can tell you now that the word cowardice is totally unknown in that family, and if there is a dishonest bone in them I am positive the Admiral would have surgically removed it himself. Besides, isn't he also the sheriff, the city tax collector. How many of you have cause to complain abiout honesty? Or Bravery? He taxed Wrythe last year you know."

The argument went on for a while but Markus had made up his mind.

"Very well I think that we shall ask the sheriff to see if his duties will allow him to also take up Law enforcement." He stood up as the evening was now getting a little darker. "I suggest we adjourn this meeting for today and see if Colonel Glaus suggestion is a usable working solution to the problem. We will offer the job and this time next week we will reconvene and go over the results. Ladies and Gentlemen I bid you all a pleasing and restful goodnight. Now if you will kindly excuse me."

Advertisement