Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann; fine question.

Options
  • 02-07-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello all!

I was on an InterCity train April last, with a number of friends. We are all students, and I had paid for my Ticket online. Two of my friends bought student tickets, one using my Student Travelcard. (I know I shouldn't have done it.)

The inspector caught us, obviously, and the two friends had their details taken and we're issued with fines on the spot, given a receipt and 21 days to appeal. I was given a verbal warning from the ticket inspector, and told that if I mis-used my Student Travelcard again I would be liable to a fine or my Travelcard would be revoked.

So I went and had a weekend in Galway, honestly forgetting about a verbal warning, until today, where a letter arrives for me in the post informing me that my fine has not been paid and I have 10 days to pay €100 or I'll be getting a court summons!

My question is; who do I contact to try and get this overturned, do I have any chance of getting it overturned, and what should I say?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Oh not again, what is it with students.

You broke the rules, you got caught. Welcome to being an adult take responsibility.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686549

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

looks like youll have to pay..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There should be contact details on the notice, possibly in Pearse Station.

The alternative would appear to be getting done for fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RouRouRou

Fair enough, thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

RouRouRou wrote: »
    The inspector caught us, obviously, and the two friends had their details taken and we're issued with fines on the spot, given a receipt and 21 days to appeal. I was given a verbal warning from the ticket inspector, and told that if I mis-used my Student Travelcard again I would be liable to a fine or my Travelcard would be revoked.

If as you claim you were given a warning I would not pay any fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If as you claim you were given a warning I would not pay any fine!

Sterling advice here RouRouRou.....

And if anything is said about this course of action,you have it here,in writing,from Foggy_Lad SC :D:D:D

As a matter of interest,what discipline are you studying in ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement