Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish people who say "Mate".

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

So what term of phrase do you use for persons that are well known and liked by you?

darkdubh wrote: »
    It just sounds very contrived when Irish people say that..Only British or Aussie people sound right using that expression.(Cue predictable "relax Mate" type replies)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

I don't mind Irish people saying Mate(y)/bud(dy)/horse/sham/dude but the Irish people who say Toats Magoats should be rounded up and put on Skellig Island!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It didn't sound right about two years ago. Now it's broken through and is an acceptable word to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I agree with everyone on this thread and am constantly at a loss for a casual term of endearment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I don't mind Irish people saying Mate(y)/bud(dy)/horse/sham/dude but the Irish people who say Toats Magoats should be rounded up and put on Skellig Island!

:rolleyes:

I heard Awks McGawks the other day. Stop the planet, I'm getting off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

I say bud, mate, dude, man, buddy and pal all the time.

And I don't give a shiny shíte how it makes you feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Now it's broken through and is an acceptable word to use.

I disagree.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's better than people in D4 accents calling each other "dude" :(
    Does that accent even exist any more? (Thankfully) I haven't heard much of it since the Silly Tiger died off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I disagree.

No problem
    maan

ColeTrain wrote: »
    No problem
    maan

Thanks homie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Walking up pearse street there today a tracksuited young lad nearly bumped into me and politely said "sorry mate" before I knew it, I had replied "sorry bud".

No one was injured by either phrase and we continued on our seperate ways, so suck it up culchies. :)

Bambi wrote: »
    Walking up pearse street there today a tracksuited young lad nearly bumped into me and politely said "sorry mate" before I knew it, I had replied "sorry bud".

No one was injured by either phrase and we continued on our seperate ways, so suck it up culchies. :)

Kill it with fire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

There is a standard response I have to these threads, people travel, we have a multicultural society and we consume media and news from all over the world, AND language is variable as are our vocabularies so some people who have actually left their village and gone out into the world may pick up a few phrases.
    Stick to the darkest slurry smelling corners of the country if you don't want to hear about the outside world or be subjected to its influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

mates sounds natural, mate does sound a bit unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

in carlow its not "mate" but rather "eh lad" if your from the town and "well horse" if your from the county :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I call people "chief" as I am shíte at remembering names.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

What about .......... Alright Horse or alright my Shipmate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Twat is another one!

It just sounds wrong in an Irish accent...it annoys me immensely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Mate, dude etc etc very annoying, i even prefer bud at least it sounds alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Twat is another one!

It just sounds wrong in an Irish accent...it annoys me immensely!!

scandalous, nothing feels sweeter than calling someone a twat, but important to not emphasis the t at the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think c**t, is prb the most descriptive and sadly underused word in the English language, (whats the equivelant as gaeilege?)

I predict that by 2032, the Popes third wife will be on front page tabloids declaring "He's nothing but a cheatin C***.

So, it'll be a bit like Ireland was in the 14th century, without the press intrusion.

Cheers made!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

freddiek wrote: »
    mate and "cheers"

the upper classes would use this word when drinking wine but now everyone seems to say it. Not just when thanking someone, i hear it used now as a kind of goodbye

Exactly.

Mate is horrendous.

Cheers is not a form of thanks or goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

sir

that drives me daft

howaya doin' sir would ya be interested in a sofa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Those blokes sound like right muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Those blokes sound like right muppets.

ok chap

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

There is a new trend of people saying fella instead of mate in England as in Alright fella how are you today. I don't know whether to punch them or laugh at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Horse/horsebox, kid, skin or lad, they have more character than just plain old 'mate' imo and should be part of every Irish person's greeting vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

darkdubh wrote: »
    It just sounds very contrived when Irish people say that..Only British or Aussie people sound right using that expression.(Cue predictable "relax Mate" type replies)

I personally don't give a **** about people saying "mate","dude" or any other term common associated with another language or culture, mainly because most of us grew up watching all kinds of shows from all kinds of places so things sneak into your vernacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I personally don't give a **** about people saying "mate","dude" or any other term common associated with another language or culture, mainly because most of us grew up watching all kinds of shows from all kinds of places so things sneak into your vernacular.

I call people 'truv' because its a mixtrue of true and bruv. Because I sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement