Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering with maternity hospital

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I discovered that I am pregnant with my first baby over the weekend(approx 5 weeks) .
    I have made an appointment with my GP but its not until Saturday.
    Should I ring a maternity hospital and register with them or should I wait until I see my GP to get a referral??
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you are 100% certain that you are pregnant then waste no time in booking into your chosen maternity hospital, especially if you have a preference about which clinic/consultant you wish to attend.

Your GP will only confirm the pregnancy and give you a referral letter, but the maternity hospital will not look for this letter until your first appointment (somewhere between 12-16 weeks depending where you book in to)

Congratulations and Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that!
    Will get on to that tomorrow!

I had my pregnancy confirmed by the dr on Monday :-) am almost 6 weeks. I have to go back to dr at 9 weeks for blood tests, and I thought she would be sending a referral letter to maternity hospital - should I also be contacting them to make an appointment then (sorry if I'm being a bit dim here lol)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring the hospital and make your appointment asap.
    The doctor just gives you a letter that you give to the hospital on your 1st appointment.
    The maternity hospitals are crazy busy and if you aren't gonig public your choice of consultant is going to be very limited at this stage.

Congrats:)

yikes! ok will do that that then, now just have to decide which hospital! Anyone have any experience with either Limerick or Galway as they are my two options, will be going public if that makes any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

I'm almost 6 weeks now. We went to the GP for the first visit last week, he sent the referral letter off to the Rotunda for us.

Advertisement