Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having problems configuring samba

Options
  • 28-02-2010 2:54am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've built myself a file server for the house. It's mainly going to be used for downloading files and for storing media for all the other computers in the house to access. I'll probably use it to back up my desktop and laptop as well.

I've just installed xubuntu on it and I was planning on using samba. The problem is I can't get samba configured for the life of me. I'm new to linux so that doesn't help either. Does anyone know of a good guide for configuring samba, one that caters for the novice? Failing that I'm tempted to just put windows 7 on it and use the homegroup function for sharing out the files. Would I be losing much by doing this? Would I be better to persevere and get linux working the way I want it?

Thanks for the help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

This is a pretty good guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/windows-networking.html

Well worth the try IMO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have a look at SWAT -- a web-based admin tool for Samba (or use the Samba module under Webmin).

cian1500ww's linked guide is what helped me a while back.

O'Reilly have a good title on it. It fills in the blanks.

The Samba manual and example-based guide are very extensive as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok. It looks like I had samba properly configured, it just didn't want to start the service for me. I managed to get it started in the end. Now I can access the linux box from my windows 7 pc. Now I've installed some extra hard drives. The problem is they seem to be mounted properly e.g. I can go to /media/Storage but I don't seem to have write permissions. This is when I'm on the actual linux machine. I've tried using chmod 777 /media/Storage but this doesn't seem to do anything if I'm running from root.

Also samba doesn't seem to start at start up for me and the hard drive doesn't seem to mount itself either. Is there any way I can make these automatically run at start up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OK, I now have write access from both linux and windows. I've also got the drive mounting at start up. Sweet! And it seems that samba is also running at start up as well. It looks like we're getting there.

Advertisement