Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about buying a moped/scooter...

Options
  • 20-04-2008 5:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I can't find anywhere online the licensing rules! Ok, so you need an M license for >50cc and an A1 license for <50cc- are the theory tests different? Must you pass a practical test in either condition? If so, what's the test like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Noodlehead wrote: »
    I can't find anywhere online the licensing rules! Ok, so you need an M license for >50cc and an A1 license for <50cc- are the theory tests different? Must you pass a practical test in either condition? If so, what's the test like?

5 second google search gives some answers: :D

Prov
    http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/provisional/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1837

Full
    http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

I'm probably just completely stupid, but I can't really understand that. Basically, I've heard to drive a scooter all you need is a provisional. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

What category provisional are you referring to?

Category B covers cars.
    A covers bikes over 125cc
    A1 for bikes under 125cc
    M for mopeds under 50cc and are speed limited too.

There used to be a case where a full B licence holder could ride a moped that fell into M category, but I believe this has been removed now as it was stoopid. Car licence does not qualify or give you the experience to ride a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

Well, I thought you could basically do whatever you liked with a moped >50cc so long as you had the appropriate provisional, like, I mean, if you're allowed to ride with a provisional, what's the point in getting a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Noodlehead wrote: »
    Well, I thought you could basically do whatever you liked with a moped >50cc so long as you had the appropriate provisional, like, I mean, if you're allowed to ride with a provisional, what's the point in getting a full license?

Insurance costs is the main thing, being allowed to drive/ride outside the country, being allowed to ride anything over 50cc, having to wear a yellow vest with L plates on it for the rest of your life!

Also you can only get two provisional licenses/learner permits, for the third you need evidence that you've actually applied for the test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement