Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car crashed into

Options
  • 18-09-2007 11:37am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Woke up this morning to find that my car had been reversed into which has damaged my wing and tire. I know who did it cos they left a note so I'm not worried about that. I'm just wondering what the protocol is. Should I inform my insurance company in case the other party tries to claim? My car was just parked on the road so there's no blame on my side afaik.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its great that they left a note.
    If they claim, it has nothing to do with any claim you make - they can't claim off your insurance.
    Contact the other driver and discuss what way they want to take it. Maybe arrange to get a few quotes for the repairs. Bear in mind that they have (so far) been honest with you so my opinion would be that you should be honest with them and not start getting the entire car refurbished at their cost (not that anyone would!).
    Notify your insurance company and let them knopw of the incident but that currently you aren't taking it further. Its helpful just in case the other driver decides to mess you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'd go to the guards, say they left a note, wasn't a hit and run and all that, but just have it on record that you went to them about it and showed them the letter. Then get into ontact with the other person as per the contact details on the note and see how it goes from there. That's how I'd do it anyway but may not be the full correct procedure

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Thanks guys. I'll give Quinn a call later on. I'm not too sure about going to the guards yet. I'll call the other person and discuss options. Looks like the wing may have to be replaced and the tire will definately have to go. I'm not going to try and fleece them though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's nice to see there's some honesty left out there. Same thing happened to me - no note though - they reversed into the drivers door and fcuked off.

Was the other person's insurance details on the note?

Call you're insurance co. and tell them what happened immediately. Get a quote for the repairs and send this too. Let the insurance co. chase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

1. Report the incident to the Gardaí

2. Contact the individual in question, and see if they want to fix your car with their own money, rather than the insurance companies getting involved

3. If they wish to avoid the insurance companies, make sure your repairs are done very well.

4. If they want to use their insurance company, all well and good, contact your own to begin the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

stevec wrote:
    It's nice to see there's some honesty left out there. Same thing happened to me - no note though - they reversed into the drivers door and fcuked off.

Was the other person's insurance details on the note?

Call you're insurance co. and tell them what happened immediately. Get a quote for the repairs and send this too. Let the insurance co. chase them.

May not be necessary. If they left a note, they may wish to pay for repairs outright without the insurance company. Don't be hasty!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also, if it is settled privately, they will possibly look for a statement from you saying that all work has been completed satisfactorily just to close the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is what I would do.

Take a few photos of the damage first. Give the person who left the note a ring and arrange to meet them and discuss the situation with them. The fact that they left a note means that they seem to be honest enough and up front. Get a quote for the repair work and give it to the other person, see if they are willing to settle the bill themselves or go through their insurance company. If you feel you are getting the run around or alot of resistance with them then you can let your insurance company deal with the matter.

In the mean time though you could ring your insurance company just to make them aware of the incident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

maoleary wrote:
    May not be necessary. If they left a note, they may wish to pay for repairs outright without the insurance company. Don't be hasty!!
    Yeah - sounded a bit rash. I was trying to say that OP should inform the insurance co. of what happened sooner rather than later, not necessarily to make a claim.
    Some of them can get sticky if you leave it too long after the incident.

Advertisement