Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a new computer in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new computer but I'm not really sure what to get or where to get it. To be honest I'll probably pick up an all in one, they look alright. Nearly spent €1,000 on one in PC world yesterday but they didn't have the one I wanted in stock. Learned afterwards that it only had a third generation processor as opposed to fourth gen. This doesn't really mean much to me but I guess if I'm buying a brand spanking new computer then it should at least have the most up to date processor right? Especially if it's costing that much money. They guys in PC World seem more concerned with making a sale than actually giving me the best computer, guess they have to work with what they've got so fair enough.

Anyone out there know where I can a good computer or should I just go back to PC World? Some where on the south side of Dublin would be best!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can't advise directly, but you'll probably be asked by others here what you intend to use it for. Documents, pictures, music, surfing/email or high end gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you really needed to spend that amount you would know exactly what you wanted and would be doing a custom build.

What exactly will you be using it for? If it's mainly on line then your broadband connection will be the limiting factor not the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

First off, €1,000 is a crazy amount to spend on a PC unless you have very specific needs, e.g. it will be used for an intensive work application (CAD, 3D animation, etc) or you need a serious gaming rig.

Second, nobody in their right mind should buy a computer in PC World :eek:. You're asking to be ripped off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

I can't advise directly, but you'll probably be asked by others here what you intend to use it for. Documents, pictures, music, surfing/email or high end gaming?

Will be using it for documents, pictures, surfing the internet mainly.

First off, €1,000 is a crazy amount to spend on a PC unless you have very specific needs, e.g. it will be used for an intensive work application (CAD, 3D animation, etc) or you need a serious gaming rig.

Second, nobody in their right mind should buy a computer in PC World :eek:. You're asking to be ripped off.

Grand, thought they were a bit pricey alright. So where's a good place to buy a computer so if not pc world? I want to buy something decent that will do for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Grand, thought they were a bit pricey alright. So where's a good place to buy a computer so if not pc world? I want to buy something decent that will do for a few years.

If considering the purchase of laptop, you will be better off to make an online puchase - Laptops Direct are a good port of call.

Maidhci wrote: »
    If considering the purchase of laptop, you will be better off to make an online puchase - Laptops Direct are a good port of call.

I have a laptop, it's a desktop that I'm after

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new computer but I'm not really sure what to get or where to get it. To be honest I'll probably pick up an all in one, they look alright. Nearly spent €1,000 on one in PC world yesterday but they didn't have the one I wanted in stock. Learned afterwards that it only had a third generation processor as opposed to fourth gen. This doesn't really mean much to me but I guess if I'm buying a brand spanking new computer then it should at least have the most up to date processor right? Especially if it's costing that much money. They guys in PC World seem more concerned with making a sale than actually giving me the best computer, guess they have to work with what they've got so fair enough.

Anyone out there know where I can a good computer or should I just go back to PC World? Some where on the south side of Dublin would be best!

Thanks.

good place to start
    http://www.elara.ie/products/brandpcp.aspx?available=checked

they have a boards forum as well
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1106

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I have a laptop, it's a desktop that I'm after
    OK I need to ask, if you have a laptop already and you only need it for documents, pictures and internet access - by the beard of zeus, where does the need of a desktop come from, let alone spending €1000 on it? I know your not tech savvy but that's an insane amount of money to spend, let alone in PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Will be using it for documents, pictures, surfing the internet mainly.
    If that's all, you'd better off getting a nice screen, mouse, keyboard, and a Rasberry Pi B+

The Rasberry Pi B+ will set you back about €60'ish, depending on what mods n stuff you put on it; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LU2FDG8

It doesn't run Windows, but it comes with Linux, and you can put LibreOffice on it for free, if you want.

You can get the screen for €200'ish (well, whatever you want, really), and the keyboard and mouse cheap enough. More than enough for what you're lokoing for if it's only the above.

=-=

If you'll be gaming at all, build the PC. You can get a very nice PC for €1000

Remember; PC World computers are built en masse every quarter, and shipped to all of it's stores. Not many are upgradeable, thus you're stuck with what you buy.

Build your own, however, and you can get a motherboard that has onboard video, but with a PCI-E slot should you ever wish to upgrade, that will support up to 32GB's of RAM even though you're only putting in 4GB's now, in case you want to do so at a later date, and ensure you get a good CPU, etc.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    OK I need to ask, if you have a laptop already and you only need it for documents, pictures and internet access - by the beard of zeus, where does the need of a desktop come from, let alone spending €1000 on it? I know your not tech savvy but that's an insane amount of money to spend, let alone in PC World.

Fair question, the laptop is as slow as sludge, the screen is a bit small and I only ever use it at my desk. Need (want) something new. I reckon a desktop makes sense. From what I'm getting from you guys PC World isn't a good option!

the_syco wrote: »
    If that's all, you'd better off getting a nice screen, mouse, keyboard, and a Rasberry Pi B+

The Rasberry Pi B+ will set you back about €60'ish, depending on what mods n stuff you put on it; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LU2FDG8

It doesn't run Windows, but it comes with Linux, and you can put LibreOffice on it for free, if you want.

You can get the screen for €200'ish (well, whatever you want, really), and the keyboard and mouse cheap enough. More than enough for what you're lokoing for if it's only the above.

=-=

If you'll be gaming at all, build the PC. You can get a very nice PC for €1000

Remember; PC World computers are built en masse every quarter, and shipped to all of it's stores. Not many are upgradeable, thus you're stuck with what you buy.

Build your own, however, and you can get a motherboard that has onboard video, but with a PCI-E slot should you ever wish to upgrade, that will support up to 32GB's of RAM even though you're only putting in 4GB's now, in case you want to do so at a later date, and ensure you get a good CPU, etc.

Thanks, didn't realise they weren't upgradeable. Sounds like building one is the way to go so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I would buy a Dell if its for general use.

You'll get a decent 4th gen Core i3, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive for 430 euro.

24" good monitor in argos for 150.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84702&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

In my opinion, PC World is never a good option. Have a look at the range of laptops available online - it may be that a laptop may meet your requirements regarding specification, screen size etc. etc. I have found Laptops Direct prices to be extremely competitive, much more so than Elara.ie. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My mother just got a Mac mini and loves it. They are quite reasonably priced these days. Plus screens on Amazon UK are really cheap. I would go for the Mac mini. Anyone I know that has Mac, has had it for years without any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't really buy into the automatic 'build it yourself' response for a machine for those uses - most people prefer to buy it pre-built and with the full system warranty behind it. As pointed out, you'll get a Dell machine for a decent enough price.

For the uses you have described, that Dell for €430 will last absolutely years - 2020 and beyond easily. Buy a nice 24" monitor somewhere like Dabs.ie, or Amazon.

Looks like a dell computer for me so guys! That and a big screen and I'll be happy out.Thanks for all the advice!

thierry14 wrote: »
    I would buy a Dell if its for general use.

You'll get a decent 4th gen Core i3, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive for 430 euro.

24" good monitor in argos for 150.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=cd84702&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop
    Looks good, but Dell are known to have produced motherboards that have the PCI-E slot removed, and a lower watt PSU. Also, the power socket hole is usually at the other side than every other PSU power socket hole is at. This is annoying when you need to upgrade the PSU when you decided to upgrade the graphics card.

That said, if you're not planning on gaming with it, get a Dell. Most of them are built to last. Avoid the "all in ones" as they're hard to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. If the budget allows, get a SSD instead of a HDD. For fast boot times, if nothing else.

It shouldn't be of any consequence whatsoever for the uses described.

However one irritating thing about Dell is that they have reverted back to non-standard PSU's in their ATX builds. (this is of no consequence either to most buyers, just interesting)

Had two new Optiplexes recently and both have a strange 8-pin motherboard header rather than the standard 24-pin.

Actually, this may be of use to the OP; http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE3064126 for €372

It has a free low-profile PCI-E slot if he wants to upgrade the graphics card at a later date. It comes with 4GB or RAM, 1TB HDD, and a 3GHz dual-core G3220, as well as integrated sound & video.

The OP mentioned they wanted a brand spanking new CPU, and although the G3220 is a year old now, it should be fine for what the OP intends to use it for.

• Advertisement

The dell is only 60 extra though for a better processor and double the ram. I would personally go for that, it means you won't have to touch the PC for the best part of a decade. In it's favour the HP is a nice tidy machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

If you don't want to build a machine check out overclockers.co.uk , i recently got a basic machine off them prebuilt and i'm very happy. Did have to install the OS myself as i put in my own hard disk but i think it can come pre isntalled.
    Just customize what you want

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-197-OP&groupid=43&catid=2477

Still over €100 more than the Dell with the same spec though. Don't think you're gonna beat the Dell price really unless you do actually build it yourself.

Advertisement