Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

free std check?

• 26-04-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i may have HIV. i have no money, none at all. checked website and it said sti screening costs 140euro?
    can i get it done free?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭CoolGuy2006

You can get a free blood test at the Baggot Street Clinic, Dublin Every Thursday, you will get the results in 2 to 3 weeks depending on if you want a Hepatitis test done aswell.

You wont be given the all clear until after 3 months from the time you may have been exposed. Therefore, if you had unsafe sex last night, you can go and get a test tomorrow but they wont give you the all clear until after 3 months.

If you may have been exposed in any way to HIV in less then 3 months, they will tell you to come back and have another test when the 3 months from possible time of exposure has passed.

They only test blood at the baggot street clinic, they wont do a full STI check as far as i know. But if your worried about HIV, this is a free and friendly option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i would have been exposed 8 months ago. i've had zero symptoms but you never know...thanks.

Well, in two weeks you might not be scared sh*tless as your names suggests anymore.

Phone up the Clinic, Go tomorrow, as far as i know they are open 6-9pm every Thursday. You dont have to make an appointment. Ive brought my friend there on two occasions, its a safe, clean friendly place. Phone beforehand to make sure things havent changed.

its free but they only test blood which will give you the HIV and Hepatits result.

Got this from google

Baggot Street Clinic, 19 Haddington Road, Dublin 4
    Tel: (01) 6602189/2227.

Hope it all works out mate.

cheers, will do.

(warning graphic details below)

it was so stupid...during a lustful haze...condom slipped off somehow...penetrated her anyway, withdrew immediatly (within 2 seconds) and put on new condom. only a single moment and i could have signed away my life to a slow and painful death. if its positive i can definitly see me topping myself, couldnt live with it, the shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Even if she was HIV positive, the odds of getting HIV from that are very slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it happened as you describe, your chances of having anything untreatable are slim, and you I'd be pretty amazed if you became HIV+ as a result of that.

Go have the test, and put your mind at ease.

Dont beat yourself up over it, that could happen to anyone. It doesnt sound like you were at a very high risk but going to get the test is still an intelligent and peace of mind thing to do.
    the shame.

mmm, i think we have moved on in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's not to be taken as medical advice by the way.

Something similar happened to me years ago except there was no slippage of the condom, there was no condom at all. Went to the doctor paranoid about it. He basically told me to cop on and don't be annoying him with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Jboy156 wrote:
    Something similar happened to me years ago except there was no slippage of the condom, there was no condom at all. Went to the doctor paranoid about it. He basically told me to cop on and don't be annoying him with this.

jesus, sounds like an angry doctor !!!

basically the chance is approx 1 in 1000 if you have unproteced vaginal sex with someone who is definately HIV positive that you will contract it.

scared_****less i wouldn't get too stressed over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

St James offer a free STD screening service, I think the clinic is called guide, do a search for it on google.

Appearently though there is a 4 week waiting list (not sure whether this is a good or bad sign).

From what you said I doubt you caught anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

cheers, will do.

(warning graphic details below)

it was so stupid...during a lustful haze...condom slipped off somehow...penetrated her anyway, withdrew immediatly (within 2 seconds) and put on new condom. only a single moment and i could have signed away my life to a slow and painful death. if its positive i can definitly see me topping myself, couldnt live with it, the shame.

Did she have HIV?

Not to confuse you but statistically its far more likely that if she did have somehting it was another type of STD, so you might want to think about getting a full test including bateria (where they stick a little swab in your penis and make a culture out of that).

Don't know if they do that in St. James but you might as well ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I know you said it was 8 months ago, but try to think back. Did you get sick, much like a flu, shortly after the encounter? HIV infection usually comes with an intial flu like sickness within the first two weeks. Like everyone else has said, you're probably fine, go get checked as soon as you can.

And if you are HIV+ you absolutely have to tell anyone you've had any sexual encounters with in the last 8 months. Even you you do top yourself, please please do that much before you do.

And on the matter of topping yourself, HIV is not the disease it was years ago. Its extremely treatable, you can live a completely normal (albeit celebit) life for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

St. James Hospital has a full Genito-Uriniary Medicine Clinic. Abbreviated to the GUM Clinic, give them a call. They will be happy to advise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wicknight wrote:
    Did she have HIV?
    I think the correct question is "Is she a high risk individual?". If the answer is yes, then the OP should phone the clinic and ask for an appointment as opposed to joining the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

From all the stuff I've read about HIV over the years (I'm quite interested in the subject) I've have to agree with the quote above -

Getting a positive result from a HIV test from 2 seconds of vaginal contact, even if she is a horribly diseased trout (which she isn't, no doubt!) is so extremely slim it's hardly worth thinking about.

Crossing the road is much more dangerous.

Go to St. James's guide clinic - www.guide2guide.ie - and get tested for everything. No doubt you'll be hunky dorey. (Chlymadia, on the other hand, is everywhere.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

it was so stupid...during a lustful haze...condom slipped off somehow...couldnt live with it, the shame.

I would like the add that condoms slip off easily, it's hardly your fault, and it's hardly your fault you were in a lustful haze (that's a pretty normal feeling when you're having sex!)... and you certainly shouldn't feel ashamed about having had sex or catching a disease. These things happen.

We hate to admit it, but there is still a lot of guilt in our society surrounding sex. It used to be a religious thing, now it is based on diseases.

Stop worrying, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Zillah wrote:
    I know you said it was 8 months ago, but try to think back. Did you get sick, much like a flu, shortly after the encounter? HIV infection usually comes with an intial flu like sickness within the first two weeks. .

That's not entirely true. These 'symptoms' only occur in 1/3 of people who contract the virus. They are definately not something to look out for as it's quite unreliable to base fears on apparent 'symptoms'. The only way to know for definate is to get tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dublad88

last few weeks during sex sometimes my girlfriend bleeds ,she's worried its a std of some sort,is there any reason why she would bleed during sex other than we may have torn a lining or something?she likes it when we "grind" during sex,dont know if im explaining this right but kinda way of rubbin pelvic bone against her during sex,would this be a valid reason for it happening???
    she's on the pill an we're both young (19/18)
    this only happens now an again tho,sometimes there is no blood,on saturday we had sex an she bled slightly bt a hour or so after we had sex again an no blood?
    is this a common problem???
    is there some sort of DIY STD test one of us could take just to be safe,neither of us are too pushed on the idea of goin to james for a check because i seriously doubt we have an STD
    any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

dublad88 wrote: »
    last few weeks during sex sometimes my girlfriend bleeds ,she's worried its a std of some sort,is there any reason why she would bleed during sex other than we may have torn a lining or something?she likes it when we "grind" during sex,dont know if im explaining this right but kinda way of rubbin pelvic bone against her during sex,would this be a valid reason for it happening???
    she's on the pill an we're both young (19/18)
    this only happens now an again tho,sometimes there is no blood,on saturday we had sex an she bled slightly bt a hour or so after we had sex again an no blood?
    is this a common problem???
    is there some sort of DIY STD test one of us could take just to be safe,neither of us are too pushed on the idea of goin to james for a check because i seriously doubt we have an STD
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't think it's common. Perhaps a female can correct me. Could be some sort of infection, ST or not. DOn't think anyone here is gonna confirm it. Your girlfriend's gonna worry until she gets checked out medically. Best go to a normal GP, they'll know what STDs look like anyway. Better sooner than later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dublad88 your gf should go see her dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Go to the doctor thats the only advice here. She needs to be examined professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

OP the likelyhood of you having HIV is slim to none. But I think a full check up would put your mind at rest!
    Zillah wrote: »
    And on the matter of topping yourself, HIV is not the disease it was years ago. Its extremely treatable, you can live a completely normal (albeit celebit) life for a long time.
    HIV is treatable and "live with able".

HIV does not mean being celibate. Plenty of HIV positive people are having fantastic healthy sex lives. As they should be.

We need to step into protecting ourselves on the basis that people we sleep with have a virus. Not come from the "ah we'll be grand" mindset. If you assume people have a virus then you WILL ALWAYS protect yourself and are less likely to catch/pass on anything.

Advertisement