Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling a bit stupid! Gearing implications

Options
  • 26-04-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I have just discovered that instead of having 50-34 on the front and 11-32 on the back, my bike has 50-34 and 12-23

Can anyone advise what the implications are in the difference? It is an 18 speed Sora

I have been riding the bike for 6 months and never thought to check!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are no implications. If you've been managing with 12/23 then there's no need to change but it's a strange combination to find on a sora equipped bike which will usually have a 12/27 or 11/28 cassette. If however your finding hills difficult then change the cassette to a 12/28 and you'll find a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

There are no implications. If you've been managing with 12/23 then there's no need to change but it's a strange combination to find on a sora equipped bike which will usually have a 12/27 or 11/28 cassette. If however your finding hills difficult then change the cassette to a 12/28 and you'll find a big difference.

The bike is second hand and it must have been used for triatalons. Why do you suggest 12/28 and not 11/32?

The bike is second hand and it must have been used for triatalons. Why do you suggest 12/28 and not 11/32?

32 on a 9spd means big gaps in the last 3 or 4 gears and if you've managed ok for the last 6 months with 11/23 then you certainly have no need for a 32.

32 on a 9spd means big gaps in the last 3 or 4 gears and if you've managed ok for the last 6 months with 11/23 then you certainly have no need for a 32.

Ok cheers the reason I ask is due to the possibility of buying a Peloton Race SL this week which comes with 11-32 on the back rather than 12-28

How did you find the hills with the 11/23?

• Advertisement

How did you find the hills with the 11/23?

It is currently 12/23 and I found some tough alright but managed them ok. I do a lot of Sportifs and they tend to have a few hills. I would just be worried that if I did not pick the 11/32 I would end up suffering! Then again I have no experience with this setup. Perhaps I should mention it to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

My sora has 11 25 and find very steep hills hard going. As per my post I am changing to a 11 30 which am hoping will make a difference. Reckon 11 23 is murder on steep hills!!!
    May need to change rear dÃ႒©railleur to go to a 32..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I don't think a Sora rear derailleur will take a 32, or even a 30. If you were to put a Tiagra derailleur on the back you could go to 30.

It is currently 12/23 and I found some tough alright but managed them ok.

If that's the case all you need is an 11/28 and you'll notice a big difference on the hills. I really wouldn't go for a 32 as the gaps are huge and it honestly sounds like you don't need it.

Zen0 wrote: »
    I don't think a Sora rear derailleur will take a 32, or even a 30. If you were to put a Tiagra derailleur on the back you could go to 30.

Yeah that's true sora is rated at 27 but will take 28 easily (I fitted one to a friends bike and it works perfect)

One other thing op if you go with a 32 you'll need a longer chain unless the bike comes equipped with the 32 cassette already fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Ok cheers the reason I ask is due to the possibility of buying a Peloton Race SL this week which comes with 11-32 on the back rather than 12-28

Worth checking that the Peleton has a compact and not a standard crank up front!

I think it is time to go for a 11-28 as this will give me more relief climbing but still reduce the gap in gears.

If i do go for the Peloton this week, what would I expect to pay if I asked them to swap the standard 11-32 with an 11-28?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

If i do go for the Peloton this week, what would I expect to pay if I asked them to swap the standard 11-32 with an 11-28?

Probably nothing - most new bikes will have the option of several different cassettes. A new 11-28 shouldn't be more than €30 to buy yourself so I'd expect the shop to throw that in for free - it's literally a 5 minute job to swap them over.

It's 105 on the Peleton Race yeah? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5700-10-speed-cassette/

Probably nothing - most new bikes will have the option of several different cassettes. A new 11-28 shouldn't be more than €30 to buy yourself so I'd expect the shop to throw that in for free - it's literally a 5 minute job to swap them over.

It's 105 on the Peleton Race yeah? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5700-10-speed-cassette/

Pretty sure it is this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6800-11-speed-cassette/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

bit more expensive, but if you want it it's still just a swap job for the shop so I'd ask them to throw it in for free.

On a separate note, if you're going from a 9 speed to an 11 speed cassette, the ratios are going to be less gappy so maybe stick with the 11-32? You won't have the same issues with the new Ultegra as you would have had sticking a 32 on the back with Sora.

I just rang Fitz Cycles and it would not be a problem changing the 11-32 for an 11-28 at no extra cost. I will pop into them tomorrow!

Advertisement