Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loud creaking noise help

Options
  • 26-04-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm hearing a loud creaking noise when I stand out of the saddle while turning the pedals on a severe climb. It never happens when I'm in the saddle, and I'm fairly sure it's coming from the bottom bracket area. So I presume the b/b needs to be regreased or replaced. Any opinions before I go at it. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Muckers wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm hearing a loud creaking noise when I stand out of the saddle while turning the pedals on a severe climb. It never happens when I'm in the saddle, and I'm fairly sure it's coming from the bottom bracket area. So I presume the b/b needs to be regreased or replaced. Any opinions before I go at it. Cheers.

It could be the pedal also, particularly if you ride looks. Worst case scenario it's a crack in the frame itself (often hard to spot)... bb out first is a good start.. examine the frame too..
    If it doesn't work try different pedals.. then different cleats (sometimes it's just a cleat).. If you are still hearing it try a different back wheel... After that you have to consider your ears are lying to you and head up around the steering area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Just to add,

I had something similar lately, removed and greased the BB, no effect so kept removing and greasing everything like pedals, cranks and eventually it was the chainring bolts that cured it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Cheers for the replies lads. Seems its a toss of a coin as to what the cause is. just to add its only happening since me and the bike took a fall yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    It could be the pedal also, particularly if you ride looks. Worst case scenario it's a crack in the frame itself (often hard to spot)... bb out first is a good start.. examine the frame too..
    If it doesn't work try different pedals.. then different cleats (sometimes it's just a cleat).. If you are still hearing it try a different back wheel... After that you have to consider your ears are lying to you and head up around the steering area.

This happened to me, was convinced it was the bottom bracket after checking the pedals. Ended being the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

pointer28 wrote: »
    Just to add,

I had something similar lately, removed and greased the BB, no effect so kept removing and greasing everything like pedals, cranks and eventually it was the chainring bolts that cured it.

I had creaking too and it turned out to be chainring bolts also. (FSA Gossamer crankset)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Its happening with my fixie at the moment as well. Bloody annoying!

At first I thought it was the saddle (reverberating down the seat tube) as it (now coincidentally) worked its way loose and I noticed the two at the same time. Fixed the saddle and the creak persisted.

Now I am thinking to what I did to the bike recently that might have brought this on - I did tighten up the chainring nuts a lot the other day as they constantly were working themselves loose, I'm going to check that this evening before I get on it and see if that fixes it.

Failing that, I think it'll be time to remove and regrease the pedals, cranks & BB.. hoping its the chainring nut as couldn't be bothered with all that right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Remove your front wheel, put a drop of oil (or grease) on your finger and spread it on the fork dropouts. refit wheel..job done!

( do the rear wheel too..no harm)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure it's not your joints?

are you sure it's not your joints?

Haha. Dont think so. I removed the bottom bracket and the drive side bearing is knackered, so that needs replacing. While re greasing the chainring bolts I snapped one in 2 so they need replacing. FFs this could be a long drawn our process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I blame whoever built the bike. I'll take it off you're hands for a good price :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Most creaks often sound like they are coming from the bottom bracket and in truth creaks are a pig to find. Some simple things to do. If it's only happening when climbing out of the saddle then I'd suggest it's one of 3 areas.

1 - Your headset/bars
    2 - Drive train
    3 - Frame

So taking them one at a time.

1. When standing try to stand a little back and relieve as much weight as possible off the bars, is it still happening or is it as bad. If it's stopped then you have a problem here and need to service your headset.

2. This will take some time. Check your cranks for give. If you align either crank arm with the seat tube and pull it towards it does it move? If so your BB needs replacing. Put the bike up on a work stand and take off the chain. Spin the crank. Without the chain holding it back it should be butter smooth. Any grit or anything you may need to replace the BB or at a minium take it apart and service it. Other than that, pedals, take them off, regrease put them back on. If they are look you can service the bearings easily, if shimy it's a lot more difficult. Chain rings can also cause this but usually a remove and regrease of bolts does the trick.

3 - Long shot but your frame could be buggered. Obviously replace it with a ridiculously expensive new one.

EDIT: This video may also help you if you're unsure how to do some of the above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiIFbIklJg&list=PLUdAMlZtaV1333Cy1QnIZwqDXj1q0Ooyy&index=15

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I blame whoever built the bike. I'll take it off you're hands for a good price :D

Lol. Different bike this time and not the new Kuota

Thanks again for all the replies. Plenty food for thought in there to mull over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Muckers wrote: »
    Lol. Different bike this time and not the new Kuota

Ah I'll get it off you yet :D

Advertisement