Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liege - Bastogne - Liege 2015 [Contain spoilers]

• 25-04-2015 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭

So I started a thread because there doesn't seem to be one and we have 4 Irish riders in the race tomorrow including (injury permitting) a possible winner

Its 101st Liège–Bastogne–Liège - 253k
    liegeprofile_700.jpg?itok=D_MySDDf&mtime=1429682526

Start List & bib numbers are here
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=149890&c=3

Written Preview here :
    http://www.cyclingbetting.co.uk/betting-tips/betting-previews/379-liege-bastogne-liege-2015

Video Preview here :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4h4B2-6iU&feature=youtu.be

Looks like Alejandro Valverde is top favourite with most experts

Weather forecast is for rain which may be a determining factor

If Dan Martin is not too bad and he doesn't seem to be then he is my favourite ...He is so suited to this race. Doesn't sound in poor spirits https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/591949786934169600

Many people are suggesting an outsider like Pierre Rolland or Tim Wellens may take it and some are even backing Vincenzo Nibali if it rains

Nicolas Roche has top bib number at SKY (not sure what that means if anything but he didn't do too bad at La Fleche ) and is ably assisted by Philip Deignan
    There are so many climbs that I think these two will feature at some stage

...Matt Brammeier lines out for MTN Qhubeka ...who knows - maybe feature in another breakaway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Martin had whiplash but he should be ok, he said his legs are perfect so I will dare to dream.

Roche could well be at the head of affair toward the end. It's a tougher race than Wednesday no doubt but I think I'm right in saying the finish isn't as tough as the Mur.

Stick Bottle reporting Roche as co-leader with Henao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Couple of euros on each of these guys

Bardet 40/1
    Nibali 12/1
    Alaphilippe 33/1
    Gallopin 33/1
    Rui Costa 20/1

VR46 wrote: »
    Couple of euros on each of these guys

Bardet 40/1
    Nibali 12/1
    Alaphilippe 33/1
    Gallopin 33/1
    Rui Costa 20/1

I took Gallopin, Martin, Pozzovivo and Nordhaug who finished top 20 two years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

If Dan is fine, then the current odds of 12/1 or so are very generous imo. Those odds can only reflect the idea he's not fully ok. . . . Though - a few minutes later - just reading him talking about the whiplash, it seems realistic to be cautious about what may be in store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

pelevin wrote: »
    If Dan is fine, then the current odds of 12/1 or so are very generous imo. Those odds can only reflect the idea he's not fully ok.

well the odds don't always reflect the truth ....Dan said today his legs are fine ...has some whiplash only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

MPFG wrote: »
    well the odds don't always reflect the truth ....Dan said today his legs are fine ...has some whiplash only...

If he hasn't been able to train properly in the last few days I don'y think he'll be 100%

Ah...well that is the definition between fine & 100%

I guess I am more in hope than anything else ... as don't know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

I'd stick a few Euro on Brammeier....all you'd have to do is tell him the winner gets his weight in beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

On the train to Liege and its pissing down :( Hope Dan and the rest of the Irish lad's stay upright.
    Heading to Mery for the fauchons climb.

• Advertisement

On the train to Liege and its pissing down :( Hope Dan and the rest of the Irish lad's stay upright.
    Heading to Mery for the fauchons climb.

Bring back some photo's and have a ball

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Feckin' Eurosport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

What's going on with Eurosport. Coverage was scheduled to start at 1230? Still Renault series.

I am watching it from a Dutch stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    What's going on with Eurosport. Coverage was scheduled to start at 1230? Still Renault series.

I think that was rain delayed, so pushed everything back.

Phiiip Deignan down the back

Its kicking off with attacks ...good

Wellens cooked already!?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Wellens cooked already!?

Think he must have had a mechanical

All kicking off at front ...Roche in front group it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Who is wiggins new team. Just saw an advert for tour de Yorkshire on Friday with Wiggins new team?

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Who is wiggins new team. Just saw an advert for tour de Yorkshire on Friday with Wiggins new team?

Where have you been ?? Mars ???

Its team WIGGINS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Where have you been ?? Mars ???

Its team WIGGINS

Damm. Presume my invite is in the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Glorious sunshine now. Irish corner of sorts here with a group of Dublin guys on a stag.
    Beer €1.50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is there a form of tourettes where you over pronounce everything?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is there a form of tourettes where you over pronounce everything?

I know it drives me insane

Just saw Dan looking strong near front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

The ****e with Eurosport continues...

Henao, Kiri & Kanstanstin near back for SKY ...

Both Irish riders down in one crash, that's ****ing sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Crash, Roche and Martin down!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus that looks bad for Roche. Hope he's ok. Big big group down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

What the hell happened there - massive crash..!!

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Roche is not getting up

SH**T S**T S**T

Both Irish riders down and both had been looking good

Hope Nico is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Roche up but a cut on his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Disaster for all really. Arashiro looked properly dazed.

Peleton closing fast.

Aaaand Gerrans down for a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nico looked hurt there but Dan looks ok, lost a lot of time though

The front group are gunning it, not sure he will get on.

Kind of deflated now

Hope its not Astana , Valverde or Kreuziger

Anyone else will do fine ...maybe Purito as he deserves a big win before its too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Rooting for Astana myself.

****ing Valverde. I tell you Martin would not have let AV coast to the line.

Edit: Ah I'm being harsh he chased down Moreno. Even still im pissed to see him win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The virtually complete lack of interest on the forum in the win by Valverde is telling, isnt it? He is super strong, but almost universally hated for his doping past, and I fully side with that view. Strange behavoiur by the peloton to see them content to bring him to the line - as David Millar was tweeting, making the race hard plays to AVs strength, and he was advocaing that someone needed to make the jump much earlier - but I guess that required a lot of co-operation, and luck. What a shame it was he who won LBL today (and FW on Wednesday) :(

With Dan & Nico crashing it kinda put a dampener on things especially Dan's never ending crashes...

But yes even on twitter there is a muted response to Valverde's wins on all occasions..What can one do especially as he seems to be in form from January to October ...at least we are not Purito who has to put up with him in every race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Didn't get to see the race live, so I only watched the last 10km there now.

When the lead group went under the flamme rouge it was inevitable that Valverde was going to win. Someone else needed to attack beforehand. Or else someone else other than Moreno because he was just setting up Purito. One of the AG2R lads should have went for it.

Crazy that both Nico and Dan were caught up in the same crash. Dan seems to invite them, but Nico usually manages to avoid them.

Nothing broken for Nico thankfully.

https://twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/592382915729825792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What can one do especially as he seems to be in form from January to October ...at least we are not Purito who has to put up with him in every race

He could get up the road like A4 riders are told to do.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He could get up the road like A4 riders are told to do.

Ha ha ...you tell him :D

Here is Nicolas Roche's diary on events
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-i-was-catapulted-across-the-road-and-landed-under-a-tree-31173582.html

I am not sure what Garmin can do about Dan Martin & crashes ...he seems to have too many that one wonders is it all about luck. Dreadful spring for him really and Garmin are not winning like they have previously ...Hopefully he can bounce (no bun intended) back with a win somewhere before Le Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Ha ha ...you tell him :D

Here is Nicolas Roche's diary on events
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-i-was-catapulted-across-the-road-and-landed-under-a-tree-31173582.html

I am not sure what Garmin can do about Dan Martin & crashes ...he seems to have too many that one wonders is it all about luck. Dreadful spring for him really and Garmin are not winning like they have previously ...Hopefully he can bounce (no bun intended) back with a win somewhere before Le Tour

Yeah, I think what started as bad luck may have developed into a more serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The virtually complete lack of interest on the forum in the win by Valverde is telling, isnt it?

I think it was just a pretty uninteresting race in general, maybe we've been spoiled over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Cannondale are having a really bad season, alright. What is their best result? Bauer showed well in E3 I think, Martin did okay in Catalunya.

Navardauskas won a minor race in France, I think.

Pretty bad when we're through the spring classics campaign.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think it was just a pretty uninteresting race in general, maybe we've been spoiled over the last few weeks.

I don't think the race itself was uninteresting but the finale & result were ...a forgone conclusion

Riders esp Astana & Nibali did try and mix it up

Crashes kind of put paid to some top contenders and that muted the competition.... La Fleche also was at same and the finale was a damp squib

Maybe Valverde wins damp squib races ??
    Or he & his team are too good that the tactics are nullified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

D9Male wrote: »
    Cannondale are having a really bad season, alright. What is their best result? Bauer showed well in E3 I think, Martin did okay in Catalunya.

Navardauskas won a minor race in France, I think.

Pretty bad when we're through the spring classics campaign.

Yeah, they've had a very bad season so far.

Ben King won Stage 1 of the Critérium International, that's probably their biggest win so far.

At least they are not (the old Belkin/Rabbobank team) Team LottoNL-Jumbo (Vanmarcke, Gesink, Hofland, Kelderman, Ten Dam, Tjallingii etc.) who are the only World Tour team yet to win in 2015.

• Advertisement
Advertisement