Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 25-04-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi i just got into cycling since june 2014. I suffer from copd after being a heavy smoker. I was also 24 stone before cycling now down to 16 and still loosing it. Oh i am 52 btw And male. Anyhow after starting off on cross bike whicjwhich i used more as a walking frame on hills i progressed to a trek road bike. Cycling 40 to 50 kms regularly. Plus i cycle to work everyday (30 min). I make it up some really steep hills. Sound like a steam train but get there. I love cycling. It has changed my life. My question is: i want to upgrade. Shpuld i stay with aliminium or should i consider carbon.
    Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Buy the best bike you can afford....life is too short and like you said it has changed your life nothing is more important than that.

It's an investment in your health...there are tonnes of lovely bikes to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

molarspark wrote: »
    Hi i just got into cycling since june 2014. I suffer from copd after being a heavy smoker. I was also 24 stone before cycling now down to 16 and still loosing it. Oh i am 52 btw And male. Anyhow after starting off on cross bike whicjwhich i used more as a walking frame on hills i progressed to a trek road bike. Cycling 40 to 50 kms regularly. Plus i cycle to work everyday (30 min). I make it up some really steep hills. Sound like a steam train but get there. I love cycling. It has changed my life. My question is: i want to upgrade. Shpuld i stay with aliminium or should i consider carbon.
    Thanks
    Dave

Firstly WOW that's an impressive turnaround .

Secondly find a bike you love to ride and the look of. different types of Carbon, alu, steel or titanium frames give very different experiences.

See what you can borrow or test ride.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 30 molarspark

disco1 wrote: »
    Buy the best bike you can afford....life is too short and like you said it has changed your life nothing is more important than that.

It's an investment in your health...there are tonnes of lovely bikes to choose from.

Very true. Thanks for the reply. Problem is i know very little on bikes. Last time i cycled was when i was 14 lol. Looking at some of these threads i not in the league at all. They talking serious milage. Would be pushed to do it in a car ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

disco1 wrote: »

This. Also you should reward yourself with the nicest bike you can afford. Frame material doesn't really matter too much. Wheels, groupset, tyres etc are just as important imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

There's not a huge amount of difference in the different brands. A €900 bike by Giant is likely to be a similar quality to one of the same price by Trek, Cannondale etc. It's just the groupset (parts) or wheels that'll be different.
    For Shimano it runs (from cheapest to most expensive)

Claris (8sp)
    Sora (9sp)
    Tiagra (10sp)
    105 (10/11sp)
    Ultegra (10/11sp)
    Dura ace (10/11sp)

They all function similarly but the more expensive ones will be lighter. You should aim for at least 10speed but 11speed will be more useful for upgrading in the future. SRAM and Campagnolo are other brands of groupsets that offer a similar range of parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Very true. Thanks for the reply. Problem is i know very little on bikes. Last time i cycled was when i was 14 lol. Looking at some of these threads i not in the league at all. They talking serious milage. Would be pushed to do it in a car ha

You've made massive progress, well done. You'll probably make much more,don't but a self imposed ceiling on it. You can keep improving.

It's not rocket science, don't be intimidated; most lads on here are spoofing anyhow :)

Don't rush into buying something. Find a bike that comfortable to ride, read up on frame design with comfort in mind. There is a huge choice now in that department.

There is not a whole pile to learn on groupsets to be honest, 10 mins on Google and you'll be good to go. Get strong reliable wheels, with a high spoke count; if you spend you can get that with a decent weight to. Or just get Zondas :)

Learn to look after current bike, so you will have that skill set when you move across to new bike. Learn to care for it and you will get more out of cycling, it's a nice side hobby. Park Tools website has a really good maintenance section, along with Sheldon Brown, and you tube.

Internet is great for price but if you want to cycle before you buy(which you should IMO) try do a deal with a good bike shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi i just got into cycling since june 2014. I suffer from copd after being a heavy smoker.
    Dave

I don't want COPD :(

Well done on kicking the habit, Dave and all the cycling! Fairly impressive weight loss too!

As other have said, try a few bikes out and treat yourself. I'm still a heavy smoker but I decided I'd rather have a nice bike than foreign holidays.

If I ever manage to give up the smokes I'm treating myself to something like the following.

I will have to do A LOT of saving though. And no holidays for about three years :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    You've made massive progress, well done. You'll probably make much more,don't but a self imposed ceiling on it. You can keep improving.

It's not rocket science, don't be intimidated; most lads on here are spoofing anyhow :)

Don't rush into buying something. Find a bike that comfortable to ride, read up on frame design with comfort in mind. There is a huge choice now in that department.

There is not a whole pile to learn on groupsets to be honest, 10 mins on Google and you'll be good to go. Get strong reliable wheels, with a high spoke count; if you spend you can get that with a decent weight to. Or just get Zondas :)

Learn to look after current bike, so you will have that skill set when you move across to new bike. Learn to care for it and you will get more out of cycling, it's a nice side hobby. Park Tools website has a really good maintenance section, along with Sheldon Brown, and you tube.

Internet is great for price but if you want to cycle before you buy(which you should IMO) try do a deal with a good bike shop

Sound advice. Thanks

I used to smoke 40 to 50 a day. Been off them 19 months now. I vape which helped. Saving a fair bit even with 2 daughters flying around like vultures lol.
    Thanks for your reply and no you dont want copd.

Thanks everyone. All been helpful. Got my head around group sets etc. So decided to stick with my trek for a while and concentrate on improving performance and technique but most of all enjoying the whole journey. One thing lads: cadence seems important. Is it worth lashing out on a cadence meter thing.
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Someone on here said the beat of the BeeGee's Stayin Alive is 95-100 bpm which is a good cadence to stick with if you don't mind the tune...

Do you use strava to track your cycles? If you have regular routes, you can see how your cycling is progressing, with speeds increasing as you get fitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thanks everyone. All been helpful. Got my head around group sets etc. So decided to stick with my trek for a while and concentrate on improving performance and technique but most of all enjoying the whole journey. One thing lads: cadence seems important. Is it worth lashing out on a cadence meter thing.
    Dave

Go for a big number on your rear cassette. As a 16stone waif, I'd suggest compact chairing with a 28 will see you up most hills.
    Don't bother with a cadence meter, count revs in your head!

Go for a big number on your rear cassette. As a 16stone waif, I'd suggest compact chairing with a 28 will see you up most hills.
    Don't bother with a cadence meter, count revs in your head!

Thanks. Frw days ago i wouldnt have had a clue what you meant but now i understand yipee lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thanks. Frw days ago i wouldnt have had a clue what you meant but now i understand yipee lol

You'll still be looking backdown for more, but you'll be glad you have it! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Dave,

Firstly well done on all you're doing.

Personally I'd keep the Cross Bike and put some Raceblade mudguards on it for those wet days and commutes. I'd then buy the best bike I could afford to treat myself and give me a goal.

I also got interested in cycling due to health concerns, for me an interest in the equipment / bikes etc is a big part of what keeps me going.

I bought a Garmin with HR and Cadence, its good to see your progress on Strava as your fitness improves.

Good luck,

A.

Advertisement