Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Around The Horn 2014 1/4 Final - Garseys vs Shagnasti

Options
  • 08-10-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for my lateness in getting the next round started, but here we are folks. Shagnasti, who took out Lord TSC in the the first round, battles Garseys who over came Winnie. Who will make the Semi.....

Simplified version of the rules:

I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made

see the OP of the main thread for further details or if any examples are needed check out previous years competitions.
    Question 1: 1. So many grapplers have been given natural talent and numberous chances over the years to excel, yet some didn’t grab the brass ring. Which wrestler in your opinion had the most talent, yet pissed it all away and didn’t fulfil his potential?

Spot in the Semi at stake!

ATH Q Final - Garseys vs Shagnasti : who pissed it all awsy ? 10 votes

Garseys - Marty Janetty
    0% 0 votes
    Shagnasti - Teddy Hart
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

There was 3 guys that I could've gone with for this question.

I decided to go with the one that should've been as big as his former partner. He should've grabbed the brass ring and ran with it.

I'm talking about Marty Jannetty.

I remember as a kid watching WWF Classics and adoring the Rockers when they were in matches. Brought a completely different style at the time and injected more colour into the WWF.

Fast forward to the barbershop window incident. Michaels going off as a big heel while Marty was out selling the injury.
    Marty was going to come back to face Michaels for the IC Belt.

Marty ended up getting himself 6 months house arrest and shortly after got released from his contract in March 1992. He made his return in October against Michaels and got released again following a sloppy match which he was accused being under the influence.

He finally got his IC match against Michaels on Raw in 1993. Won the belt then dropped it weeks later. He obviously didn't instill confidence in Vince after the previous incident. Since his initial run with the company, they've had him back on numerous occasions and he's either complained or got himself fired from a talent IMO that should've had the same trajectory as Michaels as an in ring performer.

He was given every chance to succeed but ultimately it was not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

You, like myself, haven’t picked an obvious one. Jake and Razor are ones that instantly come to mind when you think of the p*ssed it all away crowd. But to be honest throughout their demons they lead hugely successful careers. I’d argue that Jennetty falls in to line with these guys. Even if he was no partyhard Marty he wouldn’t have gotten any bigger than was. He got to his level. A clean diet, attitude or lifestyle wouldn't have changed a thing.

The Rockers were phenomenal but it was clear for day one Shawn was the star. Marty did the horsework but in the long run lacked charisma to become a megastar like HBK. The instant he flew through the barbershop HBK transformed into the toyboy megastar heel while Marty stayed as plain old rockin’ rocker Mary Jennetty. It was almost cringe.

My guy got absolutely nowhere (relatively) but he had all the makings WWE superstar. I must admit I know little of my selection but we have all heard the stories, we heard the hype train when he was in development, we have checked out his stuff on YouTube but none of us got to see him ply his trade in the company which he should have called home.

A 3rd generation from wrestling's finest family. I talk of Teddy Hart.
    2eo8z8h.jpg

Going my countless accounts the guy is a total arsehole. He had not one but several chances due to name alone, and he got released twice for his personal behaviour. He also got dropped from TNA for, amongst other things, fu*king around with CM Punk, challenging him to a fight, claiming he's a drug user and others. Not to mention, if you don't already know, what he did in ROH to assuage his massive ego - putting moves on people who didn't expect them…Bret’s “favourite” nephew believes (or believed) he is/was God’s gift to wrestling.

Here is the thing maybe he could have been???

He had a decent look, an absolutely awesome moveset and of course he had that almighty stamp of wrestling greatness that is the Hart name. Tyson Kidd and Davey Boy Jnr didn’t exactly light the WWE afire when they arrived but to be honest I don’t think they had the charisma, skillor aura that Teddy had. He could have been the second coming of Bret but with added Punk(excuse the pun). He could have been huge. But as stated all the talent and skill in the world can’t supress the fact you are an utterly unprofessional douche that can’t see the brass ring being handed to you.

Tell somebody Marty could have been world champ and they’ll die laughing. Tell somebody Teddy Hart could have been world champ. They won’t laugh, they might not agree but they’ll definitely scratch their chin and ponder.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Even if he was no partyhard Marty he wouldn’t have gotten any bigger than was. He got to his level. A clean diet, attitude or lifestyle wouldn't have changed a thing.

Thats where I disagree with you. Look at the landscape of WWE around that time. The New Generation. I believe if Jannetty kept himself out of trouble he would have played a big part in it. He didn't however and history unfolded differently.

Teddy Hart didn't have a near main event feud right in front of him. I'm not too sure about the hopes for him (if it just was his in ring/name value). but Jannetty turned down a much larger brass ring that sent him going downward.
    The Rockers were phenomenal but it was clear for day one Shawn was the star. Marty did the horsework but in the long run lacked charisma to become a megastar like HBK. The instant he flew through the barbershop HBK transformed into the toyboy megastar heel while Marty stayed as plain old rockin’ rocker Mary Jennetty. It was almost cringe.

Hard to disagree, but *fantasy booking hat on* Who knows if Jannetty would have been kept as the Rocker squeaky clean babyface.
    Tell somebody Marty could have been world champ and they’ll die laughing. Tell somebody Teddy Hart could have been world champ. They won’t laugh, they might not agree but they’ll definitely scratch their chin and ponder.

They'll laugh due to his eventual decline. Ask them back in 92 and you would have had a few people really ponder.
    If you ask most people Teddy Hard could have been world champion, they'll quickly reply Who?

I agree with you regards his attitude and messing it up but he hardly pissed it away. The Hart name value holds something but it's not an guarantee of success (as you've said with Kidd/DH Smith). The fact is he might of pissed away an oppurtunity to prove himself in WWE but apart from some dark matches and a stint in FCW was he ever given a huge chance of success?

Marty was in a top level feud and the chemistry he had with Michaels they could've torn the place down at WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Teddy Hart didn't have a near main event feud right in front of him. I'm not too sure about the hopes for him (if it just was his in ring/name value). but Jannetty turned down a much larger brass ring that sent him going downward.

In my reply I will quiz you about throwing out the fantasy booking card (which can nearly make anyone a star). Ironically I would place Shawn Michaels as the perfect feud for Teddy Hart. Mono-e mono you recreate wrestling fieriest feuds Michaels versus the Harts. Even in the PC era it could be fairly gritty (think Jericho/Punk) and even though it would be a play on a 90s classic it could be soo fresh. HBK was the young punk back in 93, now the humble veteran he would have to deal with the new generation of cocky toyboy.

*fantasy booking hat on* Who knows if Jannetty would have been kept as the Rocker squeaky clean babyface.

That is the thing. I honestly don't think Marty had it in him to go north of the midcard (his peak). When they split not even the most talented for wrestlers could have out shun HBK. Marty Jennetty was always going to be the "Marty Jennetty". To be fair to him it has as much to do with what became of Shawn than his talents. Being in the shadows of Bret/Owen would always enhanced the reputation of Teddy, but the shadow of HBK would have been a noose around Marty's career (no matter what he did he never would have suppressed Shawn)
    If you ask most people Teddy Hard could have been world champion, they'll quickly reply Who?

This fact has absolutely nothing to do with his stellar talent or skills. It has entirely to do with the fact dues to his F*cking up ever chance he got to make it in the big leagues. If he made it to the main roster in WWE or had a biggest tenure in TNA Joe soap would have seen Teddy do his business and show them that in-ring he had breathtaking moves and fives star aerials.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Poll added

• Advertisement

With regards the fantasy booking aspect. Yes it could make anyone seem like a superstar.
    I not saying Jannetty was the next coming of Jesus Christ or anything. He would have been a part of the New Generation Era same as Shawn and he could have had a good run with the IC belt (if long term plans at the time were to be believed).

Regarding "He was always gonna be the Marty Jannetty of the group" comment, This has become such a negative comment due to how Marty turned out. I agree with your comment that he was in Shawn's shadow but he should've had some spotlight on him if he hadn't got himself fired at the worst possible time.

You mention though that Hart would have been enhanced by the reputation Bret and Owen had? Take his former partner Tyson Kidd, amazing performer, very likeable. He should've benefited with his connection the Hart family but that didn't really work out. So I don't get how it would be different for Teddy especially with his attitude issues.

The noose around Jannetty's neck was his own doing ultimately and he was set up for much better than what ultimately happened regardless of Shawn's success.

Damnit Marty, you only had to do one thing, stay out of trouble and you could had a decent run in WWE as a singles competitor.

Poll bump! 11 votes so far

last push for votes guys!

Advertisement