Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to solve recession - Remove female soldiers knickers!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

John Mongo wrote: »
    An Coilean wrote: »
    Men were always in the Army, and get issued boxers as well as everything else they were supposed to wear while on duity, when wimminz were allowed in it was cheaper to give them an alowance to buy their own undies than for the QM to aquire and stock every size for them.
    A7 is bad enough without Quatermasters being expected to fit female soldiers with Green Bras.

Male soldiers do not get issued boxers.

They use to at one stage. I worked with the woman who husband was army. She said he was issued green boxers as well.

Now this was during the boom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Boom time in the army? Sounds dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

They use to at one stage. I worked with the woman who husband was army. She said he was issued green boxers as well.

Is their own underwear not good enough for the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

John Mongo wrote: »
    An Coilean wrote: »
    Men were always in the Army, and get issued boxers as well as everything else they were supposed to wear while on duity, when wimminz were allowed in it was cheaper to give them an alowance to buy their own undies than for the QM to aquire and stock every size for them.
    A7 is bad enough without Quatermasters being expected to fit female soldiers with Green Bras.

Male soldiers do not get issued boxers.

Dont think it was boxers, it was dri flow underwear, for when out in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Well they're certainly not on issue now.

She could have been talking about DriFlo thermal shorts that are on issue. There is no underwear on issue.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    A bloody fanny pad allowance?

Nice choice of curse words there.

smash wrote: »
    I thought you were bloke?

Not a bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm actually getting my knickers in a twist over this. Why can't they buy their own knickers?

All kit worn by DF members is issued, men get issued dri-flo underwear, but since there are far more men it's easy to stock enough in each size.

For women to stock the underwear would not be as cost effective as issuing an allowance because you'd have to get lots of underwear in lots of different sizes which has no cost saving benefit, especially since women's tit size can change at different times of the month.

All kit worn by DF members is issued, men get issued dri-flo underwear, but since there are far more men it's easy to stock enough in each size.

For women to stock the underwear would not be as cost effective as issuing an allowance because you'd have to get lots of underwear in lots of different sizes which has no cost saving benefit, especially since women's tit size can change at different times of the month.

The DriFlo shorts are not underwear.

Ok that makes sense.

But there are many professions and underwear is not supplied. We wear our own underpants. Change them daily into clean.ones and that's that. So why is underwear supplied in the defense forces?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You're not allowed allow facts or good sense get in the way of a good moan-fest, here in AH. Don't you know that??

I have to laugh(or else Id cry) on the same day that the opposition lambast the government for not making enough cuts, the ASTI lambast the government for making too many cuts in education, the OP starts this thread.

They literally can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The DF previously issued briefs to male soldiers. That stopped at some stage. I am in since '99 and have never been issued a pair. The closest thing to underwear I have been issued is "Long John" thermals or DryFlo shorts.

As stated above, "knicker allowance" is cheaper than to stock various sizes of female underwear.

They do it because it is cheaper.

Ok that makes sense.

But there are many professions and underwear is not supplied. We wear our own underpants. Change them daily into clean.ones and that's that. So why is underwear supplied in the defense forces?

IT'S NOT!

DriFlo shorts are thermal shorts worn while out on Exercise. They are not everday underwear. Both men and women serving in the Defence Forces are issued DriFlo shorts.

So I dunno why people are using them as an excuse for female members recieving an underwear allowance. Women are already issued DriFlo shorts, just as the men are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Maybe it's for the likes of Sports bras to stop injury during training?

I'd like to offer my support to these women.
    I'm a hands-on person.

Ok that makes sense.

The DF issues every soldier a uniform. It is part of the uniform. It's as simple as that.

Its for uniformity..obviously and takes away "individuality" to a soldier. It helps mould people easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ok that makes sense.

When was the last time you had to wade through a river waist deep as part of your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Don't special branch and plain clothes Gardai get a clothing allowance too? Never really understood that one... If it was for uniforms then fair enough, but why an allowance for normal clothes? If it were stopped are a load of lads gonna turn up to work bollock naked?
    I don't think the business of physically apprehending criminals is kind on clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

How about we get rid of our army. Radical cost cutting measures and all suggest something might have to go, let the Air Corps off with it. We can keep the Navy though.;)
    Aren't The EU paying for our Navy to patrol the fisheries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Tights are part of the uniform of females in the defence forces. The expense of providing themselves with tights is not one men have to pay for, so in order to have equal pay the females were compensated with an allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Something about Father Jack saying a pair of feckin'...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm all for our women getting a "get some knickers" allowance and think it should be encouraged and widened to include the general population. The state of some of the grey yokes you'd come across. they should get it in the form of a voucher.(An Ann Summers voucher.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Allowances for officers' uniforms have been around for a long time. Officers originally bought their own stuff whereas everyone else was issued with what they needed. Hence the term GI for soldiers in the US.

I've been told that the mass of different allowances in the Gardai and PDF also suit the government as they can screw people on their pensions as they're worked out on basic pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Maybe it's for the likes of Sports bras to stop injury during training?

what about the flat chested ones?

Syllabus wrote: »
    what about the flat chested ones?

They are issued with big bazookas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

benwavner wrote: »
    They are issued with big bazookas!

Chicks pumping their guns is a turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

The only reason anyone wears new/clean knickers is that if you were brought into hospital with old/dirty knickers your mammy would be morto. I think the generals are afraid of angry mammies

Pinesky wrote: »
    The only reason anyone wears new/clean knickers is that if you were brought into hospital with old/dirty knickers your mammy would be morto. I think the generals are afraid of angry mammies

How clean would you expect your knickers to be after you see a grenade land a foot away?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I'd imagine women are prone to more 'accidents', down there, in the theatre of war?

or merely in a theatre. women are generally more high maintenence, down there. This is why we get redeployed in the same bullet riddled jocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Maybe the knicker allowance has a certain logic

Maybe it's just pants.

Advertisement