Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When somebody really wants your number what do you do?

• 18-09-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I hate being guilt tripped for numbers off people. You can't say no because that's a bit harsh so you go along with it. Now, if I have no interest in you but you're wanting to exchange numbers I'll give in but it's always so awkward. 
    You get the text a while later and you can either be a dick then and not reply when it's easier, or suck it up for a while longer.
    Either way, you're only doing this to be nice and even then it's going to be awkward and drawn out. My usual cut-off point is always when they say "lol". Nice to go out with a bang I recon! :pac:

So do any other people go along with it to be nice, give fake numbers or flat out just say no? 

Edit: forgot about all the false hope. Doesn't seem so nice now..

Somebody asks for your number but you've no interest 57 votes

Plain out say no
    0% 0 votes
    Give them your number but never reply*
    57% 33 votes
    Text back and play along until you can fizzle it out*
    42% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

My house phone number is very similar to the local take away number. Sometimes people get to ring me, sometimes they get to ring for chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Like on a night out? I lie, unless I'm too drunk, then I'll give the right one.
    Sober? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Sure you never know they might turn out to be alright. Maybe you should try being less dismissive of these people

A common tactic seems to be to delay with replying, delay longer, come up with excuses if they say anything about it (no credit, was busy and so on), also give short 2-3 word replies and hope for a natural 'fizzling out process' to occur.

Last resort get a new number and tell them you were gone travelling if you meet them in real life after or lay on the "stop harassing me" stuff if they get persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Number 2 on the aul poll. And blame a lack of credit if/when I bump into them in person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I usually give my friend's number. Always entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Skid wrote: »
    I usually give my friend's number. Always entertaining.

Or a fake one which I have been guilty of if I don't know the person :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Give the number and never respond. I had someone ask me for it once the morning after and then they rang the number straight away to see if it was the 'right one' I guess. Now, I was never going to talk to the person or see them ever again as it was as far as I was concerned, but Jesus! How awkward would it have been if my phone didn't ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I give my number to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

My phones dead and i don't know my number always works! or the old i lost my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Where To wrote: »
    I'll be expecting a PM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah but you're 2.99 a minute.. and you didn't sound all that sexy to me! :mad:

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah but you're 2.99 a minute.. and you didn't sound all that sexy to me! :mad:

I'm three fiddy a minute. satellite phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It depends, I don't always give out my phone number willingly. Some people I do give my number to if they ask but only give it to very few people to be honest.

If a guy asked for my number and I wasn't interested I would straight out say no unless I thought we could be friends but if not or not interested no I wouldn't give out my number, I be blunt but let him down gently. I don't always believe if the guy is interested in me unless he asks for my number but if no mutual thing going on no I wouldn't give it to him no matter how nicely he ask!

Good idea though OP giving the number of a chipper lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Does the no credit excuse work anymore? What with all the free texts banging about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Im the guy who is always asking for the number, rarely happens that i get asked for mine! Its always handy having a new no. in your phone when you wake up next morning then you can decide in the cold light of day if its really worth persuing or not.On occasions Ive got wrong numbers, dosent bother me, but its always polite to ask for the number anyway even if you have no intention of ringing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Isn't there a facebook equivalent of this?

Some dude be-friended me and I accepted out of politeness and curiosity from where I knew him. Few PMs back and forth. Found out I knew him, from a place I used to work in years ago, but don't think I ever even met the chap but I did know his name.

Anyway, the PMs from his side became a bit much and the questions got a little weird....so I just ignored him.

Still the likes came for every status update I posted (even ones where non mutual friends tagged me for instance, and my mates were all like, WHO THE FCUK IS THIS?) along with comments and so on.

And still the PMs came, asking personal questions, generally talking as if we were long lost brothers.

So I thought about de-friending him but never really got round to it. One day I get a PM from him and I'm thinking FFS....

Open it up and it's just him going "deleting you from my friends list" and I can sense the bitterness in it. All very strange indeed and has made me very wary of accepting requests like this.

So to answer your question OP, just take their number and ignore them and hope they don't turn into a weird stalker. At least with a mobile number they can't stalk your pictures, updates etc....

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Does the no credit excuse work anymore? What with all the free texts banging about.

runs out after 30 days so that still works

keelanj69 wrote: »

That is not always believable but the no answer will give them their answer basically. Change number or say you leaving the country or just say you met someone else or just basically say just want to be friends?? Its not you its me line. Or hope for the best to let it fizzle which may or may not happen unless you dreadful at keeping in contact then that person might understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My number is 9. It's very lucky and I've no problem giving it out.

Your magic number isn't the number they on about....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

When somebody really wants your number what do you do?

Get excited and punch the air in joyful happiness.

Its nice of them to ask yes but only give them your number if you any interest in them whether be it friends or more. You could give you number to them even if they asked and never hear from them again or they could ask someone whose a mutual friend and ask for your number. Gets a bit creepy if they do that especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

i think you should always ask for the number if u like them.then u can decide later to txet or not. 2 examples of this going well and not so well. one time i asked for the number of a girl i met 1 night and wasnt going to txt her because i thought she wouldnt text back(girl was a 10/10) text her like 5 days later and she text back in about 10 seconds,we were great friends for the next 2 years,my 1st love.

example of asking for the number that didnt work out same sitation i was out pulled a girl back to hers, asked for her num the next morning(btw we had just kissed and nothing else)she looked surprised i had asked for the number,she gave me the number but didnt reply to my constant texting lol only joking i text her once that day,no reply,didnt bother me, you shouldnt take rejection to heart.she was good looking but not as good looking as girl A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

qz wrote: »
    Give the number and never respond. I had someone ask me for it once the morning after and then they rang the number straight away to see if it was the 'right one' I guess. Now, I was never going to talk to the person or see them ever again as it was as far as I was concerned, but Jesus! How awkward would it have been if my phone didn't ring!

Have your phone on silent and say 'job' while looking at it when the other person ring.

i think you should always ask for the number if u like them.then u can decide later to txet or not. 2 examples of this going well and not so well. one time i asked for the number of a girl i met 1 night and wasnt going to txt her because i thought she wouldnt text back(girl was a 10/10) text her like 5 days later and she text back in about 10 seconds,we were great friends for the next 2 years,my 1st love.

example of asking for the number that didnt work out same sitation i was out pulled a girl back to hers, asked for her num the next morning(btw we had just kissed and nothing else)she looked surprised i had asked for the number,she gave me the number but didnt reply to my constant texting lol only joking i text her once that day,no reply,didnt bother me, you shouldnt take rejection to heart.she was good looking but not as good looking as girl A.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

1ZRed and Edenhazard are definitely one person with two accounts.

Next week: I kissed 12 girls/guys and I'm not sure if they love me as much as I love me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Some feckers then call your number if you give it to them so you 'then have their number'. So if you give a wrong number you're screwed!

One of the radio stations (a morning show I think) used to give out a number for people to give to guys/girls at weekends and then would air their voicemail messages they left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

The obvious thing is surely to give your number but change one digit, that way if you ever see them again, can say oh no its not 7 its 6 or whatever, could be either persons fault then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

AngeGal wrote: »
    The obvious thing is surely to give your number but change one digit, that way if you ever see them again, can say oh no its not 7 its 6 or whatever, could be either persons fault then.
    Transpose digits, people do that all the time....on me :(

• Advertisement

The trouble people go through to avoid the slightest bit of social awkwardness or confrontation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Why not begin simulating wild masturbation when anyone asks you for your number... it's what I do.

Zero stalkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

My number is 01 496 0577, its a landline, but I'm always up for listening to what you want.

AngeGal wrote: »
    I actually do this the odd time when I'm still capable enough of remembering it :D I have 3 of the same number inorder and another of the same number further down.

Thing is, I actually **** it up more times giving it to people to do want than don't!

My number is 01 496 0577, its a landline, but I'm always up for listening to what you want.
    12' Mighty Meaty please.

Its possible to give someone a wrong digit can happen to anyone or someone take it down wrong.

That's weird that a radio show do that though? A bit silly don't ya think?!?

A 10 out of 10 girl why wouldn't you text/ring a girl if she that?? Makes no sense so you'd text an 8 or a 9 then??

• Advertisement

12' Mighty Meaty please.

Bit o white pudding on top?

What I find annoying is that someone could have three different mobile numbers!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

12' Mighty Meaty please.

kk what would you like on the side?

humbert wrote: »
    1ZRed and Edenhazard are definitely one person with two accounts.

Next week: I kissed 12 girls/guys and I'm not sure if they love me as much as I love me.
    Definitely caught me out there man! I just can't resist myself :pac:

doovdela wrote: »
    Its possible to give someone a wrong digit can happen to anyone or someone take it down wrong.

That's weird that a radio show do that though? A bit silly don't ya think?!?

A 10 out of 10 girl why wouldn't you text/ring a girl if she that?? Makes no sense so you'd text an 8 or a 9 then??

because i thought she was out of my league, guess i was wrong

• Advertisement

because i thought she was out of my league, guess i was wrong

:( You can still text someone even if they a ten and out of your league whether or not you in with a chance some girls that aren't a 10 might not bother to text if a guy shows a lack of interest!?

:( You can still text someone even if they a ten and out of your league whether or not you in with a chance some girls that aren't a 10 might not bother to text if a guy shows a lack of interest!?

no you cant, its the law lol ah no i suppose i didnt want to be rejected so wasnt going to text her, glad i did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Are landlines still on the go? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

eth0 wrote: »
    The trouble people go through to avoid the slightest bit of social awkwardness or confrontation

Hiya, etho how's the going? Ehm, could I have your number?

Wait are you male or female? Ah, doesn't matter! So....lol! How about it?:confused::eek::pac::mad::):D:p

no you cant, its the law lol ah no i suppose i didnt want to be rejected so wasnt going to text her, glad i did though.

:( that's part of the risk but I can understand why you didn't want to feel rejected I guess but you wouldn't have known unless you tried?!
    If at least an 8 or a 9 came along you text her ya and see what happens coz a ten only comes around so often? Try not to worry too much just let it happen. Just go for it what have you got to loose!

Women admire confidence not over confidence mind but they like shy and coy types but that can just chat to a girl and ask her out even if it means texting, even if she didn't want anything more you gain a friend or would you have wanted more? if that the case the only way to find out she wants the same is to text her but give it a go if you think it be worth it? What if's will play on your mind? We all going to be old and grey faster than you think!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

:( that's part of the risk but I can understand why you didn't want to feel rejected I guess but you wouldn't have known unless you tried?!
    If at least an 8 or a 9 came along you text her ya and see what happens coz a ten only comes around so often? Try not to worry too much just let it happen. Just go for it what have you got to loose!

Pride. No point in making a fool of yourself sometimes, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's the number for Dominos in Rathmines and it depresses me that I recognised it straight away and didn't have to look it up.

You men and your pride...man up! :D;)

Thought that number looked familiar nice dominos there!

Women admire confidence not over confidence mind but they like shy and coy types but that can just chat to a girl and ask her out even if it means texting, even if she didn't want anything more you gain a friend or would you have wanted more? if that the case the only way to find out she wants the same is to text her but give it a go if you think it be worth it? What if's will play on your mind? We all going to be old and grey faster than you think!?

? but i did text the 10/10 she replied and we went on to become great mates and a bit more. and i learned a lot from the whole situation and her and i always ask for everyones numbers now 10/10 or not.

? but i did text the 10/10 she replied and we went on to become great mates and a bit more. and i learned a lot from the whole situation and her and i always ask for everyones numbers now 10/10 or not.

Ah sorry missed that there. Very good man yourself! So proud!! I feel like a mammy now and I only young 27!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement