Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hillsborough revelations due today **SEE MOD NOTE POST #1**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was a disaster waiting to happen, I can't link but youtube 'Hillsborough 1981 - Wolves v Tottenham Hotspur (FA CUP S/F)' and you'll see that death was only a matter of time.
    The family members of the victims were/are treated terribly and ultimate responsibility lies with the police.
    Fortunately, because of the disaster it simply won't happen again.
    Every cloud and all that thing.

Indeed. A Manchester United fans talks about being crushed at Hillsborough the week before the FA Cup semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Today is looking like it's going to be massive. I hope it gets the ultimate media attention.

Luke Traynor ‏@LTraynorMirror
    Being told revelations are monumental. Families have stood up and applauded the panel in cathedral

that doesn't happen for nothing. I'm very optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

mitosis wrote: »
    My problem with this kind of campaign is that it won't be let lie until the campaigners get the truth they want to hear whether it is the actual truth or not.

And, yes, I believe the fans hold a major part of blame for what happened - not individually but as a mob.

yes i agree some of the LFC fans behaviour created the problems but a lot of answers need to be got by the victims families regarding action or lack of it etc. by the police, emergency services and stewards

yes i agree some of the LFC fans behaviour created the problems

You can believe what you like but you're wrong. You're fully entitled to hold that opinion, but it's incorrect. The Taylor report has already confirmed that police's mismanagement of the crowd had been the prime cause of the disaster, together with serious safety deficiencies at the stadium itself and Sheffield city council's failure to oversee safety.

Should you wish to read the report for yourself, you can do so here - http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sites/default/files/Taylor%20Interim%20Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

You can believe what you like but you're wrong. You're fully entitled to hold that opinion, but it's incorrect. The Taylor report has already confirmed that police's mismanagement of the crowd had been the prime cause of the disaster, together with serious safety deficiencies at the stadium itself and Sheffield city council's failure to oversee safety.

Should you wish to read the report for yourself, you can do so here - http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sites/default/files/Taylor%20Interim%20Report.pdf

Correct. And early leaks show that this report will fully back up that claim. Yet it will still not stop people spouting the same old myths forever more.

Jim Boardman ‏@JimBoardman
    #HIP "Multiple factors were responsible for the deaths of the 96. The fans were not responsible."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The stadium itself which did not have a safety certificate was praised as being one of the best! Hillsborough along with Heysel, Ibrox (which did prompt a redevelopment the ground) and Bradford all have something - infrastructural shortcomings. The state of the game was at a very low point off the pitch. By the mid 80s places like Molineaux and Bradford were fit for demolition and certainly not fit for purpose and yet thousands were risking their health every week and yet even after the Bradford fire (1985) there was no wake up call (the fire was basically considered misfortune).

The game was sick, it took Hillsborough and of all things the launch of BSkyB to prompt change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

I didnt say they were comparble!!! Thats my whole point. The only one comparing them is you, which beautifully illustrates the point I was making. You couldn't help yourself.

I feel you were comparing them by saying both sets of fans use them against each other. If i'm wrong then my bad, but my point is still valid. People should not group Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough together, as they are all very different tragedies. Today is an important day for the families of the victims, LFC, Liverpool as a cit and

Your posts have a tone of snideness about them and if you have nothing interesting or valid to say about the Hillsborough tragedy, then why keep posting on it? I know its a public forum so you can post where you want, but still...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why are people even entertaining flah/Roger? He has openly admitted to hating Liverpool as a club, city and people. He has no idea what he is waffling on about here and as usual, is just looking for a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Opie wrote: »
    I didnt say they were comparble!!! Thats my whole point. The only one comparing them is you, which beautifully illustrates the point I was making. You couldn't help yobuurself.

I feel you were comparing them by saying both sets of fans use them against each other. If i'm wrong then my bad, but my point is still valid. People should not group Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough together, as they are all very different tragedies. Today is an important day for the families of the victims, LFC, Liverpool as a cit and

Your posts have a tone of snideness about them and if you have nothing interesting or valid to say about the Hillsborough tragedy, then why keep posting on it? I know its a public forum so you can post where you want, but still...
    Erm what have you added except to put words in my mouth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have to say I have found this thread to be quite educational- I have always known about the disaster, and with a step dad and step brother who are both fanatical supporters I get reminded of it loads.

However, I was never aware of the specific details of the case. I really hope the friends and families of the deceased get the answers and peace they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Erm what have you added except to put words in my mouth?

Let's be honest here, you're here for one reason and one reason only. You can hide behind your faux-outrage that people who have no affliction with the club expressing grief at a tragedy is what really gets you, but when you come out with the bile like you have below, the emperors new clothes are there for all to see. It's absolutely pathetic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80370774&postcount=3034

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The British police and establishment are very well protected. Since 1990, a staggering 1433 people have died following contact with police. How many officers have been convicted for manslaughter? None

Its amazing that bloody sunday victims managed to get fair ruling, but look how long it took to get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

For anyone who doesnt know what happened on that day(flah), this is a really good read

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/hillsborough-documents-released-brian-reade-1318730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus, how can people give out about who should and shouldn't be allowed to be outraged?
    it doesn't matter who you support, when you were born, where you come from.

The avoidable loss of human life (particularly on this scale ans given the age profile of most of the people) is horrific and should be mourned. People should be outraged.

The day people aren't outraged and horrified at something like this is the day the world should just implode on itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Anymore mention of club alliances or bringing up things from sports forum will see you banned/ thread banned/ infracted etc.

We care little here for your sport. The fact of the matter is a lot of people died, regardless of what colour they wore. People, people like your mam, dad, brothers,sisters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The British police and establishment are very well protected. Since 1990, a staggering 1433 people have died following contact with police. How many officers have been convicted for manslaughter? None
    Its amazing that bloody sunday victims managed to get fair ruling, but look how long it took to get it.

Pro rata, that's about the same as Ireland.

Statement now being read by PM David Cameron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jaysus, that's pretty damning.

Every single 'opinion' or 'belief' that the fans were in anyway responsible has just been utterly destroyed.

David Cameron: "Today's report is black and white - the Liverpool fans were not the cause of the disaster."

• Advertisement

David Camerons statement is as good as one could possibly hope for.

What's most notable is the criminal behaviour of the Coroners court. You simply would never expect such a body to act in such a fashion or maybe I'm naive.

Melion wrote: »
    For anyone who doesnt know what happened on that day(flah), this is a really good read

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/hillsborough-documents-released-brian-reade-1318730

great article and insight into the tradgedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I wonder will they re-open the inquests after this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

mike65 wrote: »
    David Camerons statement is as good as one could possibly hope for.

What's most notable is the criminal behaviour of the Coroners court. You simply would never expect such a body to act in such a fashion or maybe I'm naive.

Isn't it a political appointment? To me those kind of appointments are the most open to corruption and lack of capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I take it the familys can sue the State and the Sun newspaper now

i think they would need to have the inquest verdict overturned so it is no longer "accidental death".

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I think The Scum newspaper should do the decent thing and make a full apology too.

we've had something similar here with the stardust tradgedy, and hopefully something similar happens where the victims families can access all the evidence to answer the questions they have been looking for.
    it needs to happen. the fact that the victims of the hillsborough disaster have been given this opportunity today is very positive and long overdue.

gatecrash wrote: »
    I wonder will they re-open the inquests after this?

It has to be inevitable now. There can be no argument for them to remain closed after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

12:57pm
    It's clear that perhaps 59 victims of the Hillsborough tragedy might have been saved, as a result of new evidence.

That's from the Sky news feed....

God help the families today....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

This is going to sound controversial, but you could make the argument that it was football fans' fault ultimately. The police wouldn't have needed to crack down so much, if there wasn't such a culture of violence that comes with soccer. Yes, the police messed up, but you can't deny they had numerous reasons to be as strict.

Exactly, why were the barriers at the front of the stands erected in the first place? There was a reason. The main fault IMO was allowing too many people in. The barriers prevented people fleeing onto the pitch but, again, they were there for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I can't believe the police did background checks on the deceased in order to damage their character. Absolutely despicable.

164 documents altered by the police, what a disgrace.

summerskin wrote: »
    I can't believe the police did background checks on the deceased in order to damage their character. Absolutely despicable.

164 documents altered by the police, what a disgrace.

And yet it's not surprising. From the Birimingham Six to the Guildford Four, we have a clear understanding of the corruption of the British Police force.

Quorum wrote: »
    Exactly, why were the barriers at the front of the stands erected in the first place? There was a reason. The main fault IMO was allowing too many people in. The barriers prevented people fleeing onto the pitch but, again, they were there for a reason.

The barriers were there because of the violence prevalent in football at the time. One of the big problems that I see throughout this saga was the use of the word fans to encompass both genuine supporters and football hooligans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

So Liverpool fans are completely not to blame. I suggest those in the early posts of this thread that said that have a good think of what they posted. They're wrong, they've been proven wrong. Its taken 23 years but the truth is finally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Opie

MagicSean wrote: »
    The barriers were there because of the violence prevalent in football at the time. One of the big problems that I see throughout this saga was the use of the word fans to encompass both genuine supporters and football hooligans.

There was no hooliganism at Hillsborough. It may have been a problem at the time, but there was no element of that at Hillsborough, so i dont see the need to talk about Hooligans in this case. Yes, that is why the barriers were there, but the cause of the deaths were down to diabolical policing, not fans.

Interestingly the Bradford City ground had no such pens and pitchside barriers on the main stand, they they were common but not universal. Had that fire happened in a barriered City ground then the death toll would have been massive.

There was no hooliganism at Hillsborough. It may have been a problem at the time, but there was no element of that at Hillsborough, so i dont see the need to talk about Hooligans in this case. Yes, that is why the barriers were there, but the cause of the deaths were down to diabolical policing, not fans.

So the stadium design had nothing to do with it? And the adversarial relationship between police and "fans" had no part? I think you'll find you are mistaken. While it's true the policing decisions made were the primary cause you cannot ignore the rest of the factors that contributed to the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You don't have to accept my views but you do have to accept my right to air them . Im glad to see Im not alone anyway and its refreshing to have an intelligent discussion on the matter outside the tribal context of the SF.

Involving you Adolf....really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So the stadium design had nothing to do with it? And the adversarial relationship between police and "fans" had no part? I think you'll find you are mistaken. While it's true the policing decisions made were the primary cause you cannot ignore the rest of the factors that contributed to the situation.

It's unusual for you to speak up for the police force MagicSean..........

mikom wrote: »
    It's unusual for you to speak up for the police force MagicSean..........

I've no interest in getting into one of your personal battles Mikom.

Where have I spoken up for the South Yorkshire Police? Please point it out. I clearly stated that the policing was the main cause. Would you like me to quote it for you?

But it wasn't the only thing. The stadium design was not suitable for the large crowds. The barriers that were placed because of fear of hooliganism made the place even more dangerous. To ignore these facts is to do a dis-service to those who died by not learning from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mike65 wrote: »
    Interestingly the Bradford City ground had no such pens and pitchside barriers on the main stand, they they were common but not universal. Had that fire happened in a barriered City ground then the death toll would have been massive.

Wasn't the stand at Bradford mainly seating though, as opposed to terracing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As one MP just said '' a monumental cover up by those who tried to push blame on the fans and also to spear the deceased ,their family's and the people of Liverpool '' .

It's been a long campaign for the justice for Hillsborough group and great to see the truth come out at last and acknowledged as such by David Cameron ,Ed Milliband and the British government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-19543964

Wasn't the stand at Bradford mainly seating though, as opposed to terracing?

Yep made out of wood:(

I've no interest in getting into one of your personal battles Mikom.

Where have I spoken up for the South Yorkshire Police? Please point it out. I clearly stated that the policing was the main cause. Would you like me to quote it for you?

But it wasn't the only thing. The stadium design was not suitable for the large crowds. The barriers that were placed because of fear of hooliganism made the place even more dangerous. To ignore these facts is to do a dis-service to those who died by not learning from them.

I find it distasteful how you've sought to change the terms of the discussion here over the course of the morning. You start by claiming -

"To me the whole thing boils down to

-Badly designed stadium (due to culture of football violence)
    -Poorly organised police and stewards (down to poor communication)
    -Poor decision making by police management and event organiser
    -Badly behaved crowd outside the grounds (and reportedly some inside too)"

The bolded one is the most pertinant because it was the most contentious of your claims and more importantly one that has been proven to be blatantly wrong. To quote David Cameron again - "Today's report is black and white - the Liverpool fans were not the cause of the disaster."

Now that we have seen that enshrined as an inarguable fact, you appear to be seeking to find a new angle to lay the blame at the feet of the victims. Your contribution to the discussion has been to move from blaming "drunken morons" to a more subtle but no less consistant blaming of fans.

Again, the Liverpool fans were not the cause of the disaster.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and that's unfair. But the way I would look at it is isn't it a shame that the small minority who were hooligans necessitated the erection of these barriers?

There was no hooliganism at Hillsborough. It may have been a problem at the time, but there was no element of that at Hillsborough

If teams were coming in from all over the country, can you honestly say there was never any hooliganism?

Quorum wrote: »
    If teams were coming in from all over the country, can you honestly say there was never any hooliganism?

:confused:

:confused:

Different teams, with different sets of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'm amazed at the amount of people on this thread who are of the opinion that if you weren't there then you have no right to feel affected by the matter.

how many people here have signed books of condolances for someone they never met, how many have posted on tribute pages or threads either here on boards or on facebook or anywhere else. How many people have thought about the September 11 attacks?

just because you weren't there on the day doesn't mean you aren't allowed to give you 2c on the matter, be it changing your sig to JFT96 linking to any of the support sites or charities or changing a profile picture.

I wasn't there that day, i personally don't know anyone that was but like an above poster said every anniversary i get shivers, if someone on facebook defriended me just because i showed my support for a cause i believe in then you truely aren't a friend i want to have.

I know a lot of people follow everything they read in certain rags and i hope the reports that have come out so far today never mind the next few days will open their eyes. An awful lot of people covered up the truth but thanks the the supoprt the campaigns have got and the knowledge that the smear campain was bullcrap will hopefully mean that those respsonsable will get what they deserve.

JFT96

• Advertisement
Advertisement