Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish man flies to Boston; steals Cannoli at knife-point

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Maybe theres more to the story.
    I mean, he's a brainbox, yet he did an incredibly stupid thing.
    Maybe he has a reason to get his face on tv and be under constant supervision in a distant country.

Something just doesn't add up here captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

dj jarvis wrote: »
    rich enough to fly to the states for a 2 week holiday and have a 3rd level education - bet he is not from a working class area of newbridge

that's why

No one from the working class area of Newbridge has ever been on a 2 week holiday and have a 3rd level education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

rich enough to fly to the states for a 2 week holiday and have a 3rd level education - bet he is not from a working class area of newbridge

that's why

and the fact he is a fupping gob****e for doing what he done - so yes he sounds like a stupid little rich git

hope he gets his asshole expanded by bubba and co

Yep he will be creamed up the swiss roll in showers alright.

Joking aside I wouldn't wish an american prison on anyone, does the chap watch nat geog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

His legal defence team will be Kipling and Entemanns. It's pro-bono as he hasn't a crust to his name. So he'll have to use his loaf if he is to rise above this.

The judge is one tough cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    No one from the working class area of Newbridge has ever been on a 2 week holiday and have a 3rd level education?

i would wager most not no , especial in the present climate
    how many working class familys would be able to afford a holiday now, let alone pay 2000 bail money on demand ?

wise up - you and everyone here knows hes probably a middle class kid

anyway - if he was working class he would have not been so stupid to go for food - it would have been the till - FTW :eek:

anyway what working class lad goes to BOSTON for a 2 week holiday ?? Spain - turkey or Amsterdam tends to be the staple food for the working class holiday , im sure there are exceptions to the rule - but this story is not one of them

i would wager most not no , especial in the present climate
    how many working class familys would be able to afford a holiday now, let alone pay 2000 bail money on demand ?

wise up - you and everyone here knows hes probably a middle class kid

anyway - if he was working class he would have not been so stupid to go for food - it would have been the till - FTW :eek:

anyway what working class lad goes to BOSTON for a 2 week holiday ?? Spain - turkey or Amsterdam tends to be the staple food for the working class holiday , im sure there are exceptions to the rule - but this story is not one of them

Who says he didn't use a bail bondsman?
    Middle class are the rich now?
    3 locations for working class holidays?

Too many sweeping generalisations so I think Ill leave the debate at this point.

Too many sweeping generalisations so I think Ill leave the debate at this point.

no , 2000 CASH - read the news report
    he is a ACCOUNTANT who worked for KPMG
    middles class have MORE money than working class - THATS HOW IT IS
    and read what i said - GENERALLY these are the locations where the working class can afford to go on holiday , where the middle class tend to go to italy , Boston ect ect

as for leaving the debate - you mean you got pushed out for a smart arse post - you should read the links before spouting off

your so sure hes working class - go prove it - becasue you wont be able - hes middle class - and hes still a twat

no , 2000 CASH - read the news report
    he is a ACCOUNTANT who worked for KPMG
    middles class have MORE money than working class - THATS HOW IT IS
    and read what i said - GENERALLY these are the locations where the working class can afford to go on holiday , where the middle class tend to go to italy , Boston ect ect

as for leaving the debate - you mean you got pushed out for a smart arse post - you should read the links before spouting off

your so sure hes working class - go prove it - becasue you wont be able - hes middle class - and hes still a twat

I read the links. Youre the one spouting off calling him a snotty little rich kid.

Not going to rely on The Sun for "facts" if it's all the same to you. Same report called KPMG stockbrokers.

I didn't say that he was working class or not but you seem to be able to know for sure he is rich.

I read the links. Youre the one spouting off calling him a snotty little rich kid.

Not going to rely on The Sun for "facts" if it's all the same to you. Same report called KPMG stockbrokers.

I didn't say that he was working class or not but you seem to be able to know for sure he is rich.

another poster called him a snotty little rich kid , and i agreed

no you implied he was not " rich " - i implied he was " rich "

his education , job history and where he is on holiday suggests he is from a middle class back ground
    i am using the presented evidence to make a call on his social class - and i bet im right

how many working class doctors, accountants or solicitors do you know? very few i would imagine , and same goes in reverse - how many middle class mechanics - plasterers or brick layers do you know ? again they would be far and few between

im working class - brought up in a working class area , and i know plenty who went to 3rd level - none are accountants - im sure some might be

but your honestly trying to say that this twat of a accountant is working class or "poor" ? yea right - close the door on the way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭Archeron

Eclairly has issues.

regardless of his social class or if he is " rich " - he is obviously either stupid or has some kind of mental illness
    as everyone know you dont **** around with the law state side
    good chance this guy is going to be donning a orange outfit and going to county

unless he has parent with cash to get a good lawyer

my guess - he will do time - a life changing experience i wager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Id say there'll be a Pavlovian response in his anus when he sees Bubba in the shower.

his education , job history and where he is on holiday suggests he is from a middle class back ground
    i am using the presented evidence to make a call on his social class - and i bet im right

how many working class doctors, accountants or solicitors do you know? very few i would imagine , and same goes in reverse - how many middle class mechanics - plasterers or brick layers do you know ? again they would be far and few between

im working class - brought up in a working class area , and i know plenty who went to 3rd level - none are accountants - im sure some might be

but your honestly trying to say that this twat of a accountant is working class or "poor" ? yea right - close the door on the way out

Where did I say he was/wasn't rich?

Average wage of accountant in first three years, which the UCD link suggests he is, is €23,000 per annum.

Is that what you consider rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

"Obi-wan canoli forced to use his lightsaber"

He probably thought it would really rebellious and cool. "Aw, watch this lads, I've a knife handy, it will be a bit of a laugh". Deserves a couple of nights in the US prisons for his troubles. Clown.

But its America, its never a few nights, its 10 years in the Supermax followed by getting sued by the victim in a civil suit.

You don't want to get into trouble anywhere, but if you are going to, don't pick America.

• Advertisement

Why do you assume he is rich?

you asked this question , i told you why i thought he was, rather than poor.
    i have laid out why i think he has a few bob rather than having none.

that is why i assume he is " rich " - and i would say my assumption has a better chance of being right

and lets face it - your question implies that he is poor - what reason do you have for implying he is poor ?

Colmustard wrote: »
    But its America, its never a few nights, its 10 years in the Supermax followed by getting sued by the victim in a civil suit.

You don't want to get into trouble anywhere, but if you are going to, don't pick America.

a young guy i know ( he was 19 at the time ) done 6 weeks in a county jail in California - cant remember what he done - but nothing violent

he was waiting for the sale of a car in ireland to pay his fine so he could get out

he said it was full of Hispanic and African american gang bangers , he said he was constantly in fear of his life - but no one touched him - apparently Californian gang members like the irish :)

you asked this question , i told you why i thought he was, rather than poor.
    i have laid out why i think he has a few bob rather than having none.

that is why i assume he is " rich " - and i would say my assumption has a better chance of being right

and lets face it - your question implies that he is poor - what reason do you have for implying he is poor ?

No my question asked why you immediately assumed he was rich?

It quiet clearly does not suggest he was poor or otherwise.

No my question asked why you immediately assumed he was rich?

It quiet clearly does not suggest he was poor or otherwise.

yea , of course it doesn't - good luck

What does it matter if he is rich or poor, he is Irish, an idiot and in a lot of trouble.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    What does it matter if he is rich or poor, he is Irish, an idiot and in a lot of trouble.

it doesn't really at all - one poster asked another a question , and this is the result . its fairly obvious to me that he is a man of means - but you are correct - it matters not in jail

yea , of course it doesn't - good luck

It was a straight forward question of why you thought he was rich.

You would have to really be stretching it to make out that I was suggesting he was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

CJC999 wrote: »
    He's from Newbridge so that explains it.

And this is from your oh so detailed first-hand experience of the town then?

This was a more fun thread with the puns about the fruit cake.

Its currantly gone all serous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭Archeron

We really should stop pudding the poor guy down. Perhaps he was a little tipsy. Still, no excuse for scaring that poor Amirangue shop assistant.

Archeron wrote: »
    We really should stop pudding the poor guy down. Perhaps he was a little tipsy. Still, no excuse for scaring that poor Amirangue shop assistant.

He probably taught she was only a tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I know this is AH, but I feel sorry for the guy, and his family. He did something silly and now he's in a world of trouble.

He's charged with armed robbery (no gun) -- if he's convicted, assuming he has no criminal history, that carries a sentence of 40-60 months in state penitentiary.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/formsandguidelines/sentencing/grid.html

The story says the police couldn't find the knife, so maybe a good lawyer gets it down to unarmed robbery. Still, 12-36 mos.

I know this is AH, but I feel sorry for the guy, and his family. He did something silly and now he's in a world of trouble.

He's charged with armed robbery (no gun) -- if he's convicted, assuming he has no criminal history, that carries a sentence of 40-60 months in state penitentiary.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/formsandguidelines/sentencing/grid.html

The story says the police couldn't find the knife, so maybe a good lawyer gets it down to unarmed robbery. Still, 12-36 mos.

Jesus
    And I assume not a nice open prison, a prison with the crips or the aryan brotherhood, I genuinely do feel sorry for him.

Drink for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Nope, not a nice open prison -- that's reserved for respectable white-collar criminals who steal millions of dollars and ruin people's lives through financial fraud, not hardened armed felons who steal cannolis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If he was sleepwalking, what would that mean for his sentence etc.? Does anyone understand the US legal system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I know plenty of ''working class'' people from Tallaght and Blanch who are well into their accountancy exams so therefore yes, the cannolli man could well be working class. Myth=Busted

• Registered Users Posts: 11 theshowdog

It was 3.30 AM I'd say he was well out of his cannoli at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"he's from newbridge sergeant"

"how do you know?"

"says so on his knife sarge"

"good work lou"

I know plenty of ''working class'' people from Tallaght and Blanch who are well into their accountancy exams so therefore yes, the cannolli man could well be working class. Myth=Busted

he could be - but bet hes not - we will see
    also i did state that im sure there are working class people as accountants , but far less than middle class - just by this alone points towards him not being from sheepmoor in blanch

and its not a myth - its a question that yet has to be answered - not the same thing - so nothing busted yet

anyway - this is a side event to the whole story - ucd was being pedantic , this is how we got here.

any update on his court case in the media ? i cant find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    apparently a former KPMG chartered accountant

Not former............... yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

any update on his court case in the media ? i cant find anything

Don't think you'll see anything else in the media now. It's all over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

also i did state that im sure there are working class people as accountants , but far less than middle class - just by this alone points towards him not being from sheepmoor in blanch
    To be honest, I think your 'class' isn't something you are born with today, it's to do with your personality. As soon as you even aspire to being an accountant - looking forward to years of study and some pretty tedious work in return for a good lifestyle - you are middle class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Coming soon to an episode of Banged up Abroad near you! The lad should high tail it down to Mexico and get a replacement passport before flying home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hero87

He got off with a fine, some community service and some compulsory drug counselling (which can be completed in Ireland). If his record is clean for the next 9 months, the charges will be removed from his record completely.

• Advertisement

hero87 wrote: »
    He got off with a fine, some community service and some compulsory drug counselling (which can be completed in Ireland). If his record is clean for the next 9 months, the charges will be removed from his record completely.
    Well that's good news Robert. Things cannoli get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80781350&postcount=32

mikom wrote: »
    Sunk without a trace Mikom - you deserved better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sunk without a trace Mikom - you deserved better.

Took me two hours of careful handcrafting that one....

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Canolli looks tasty. was gonna correct it with canelloni but eh, what delights

worth holding up for. maybe the knife was just from trimming off any loose ends? excess fromage, or that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hero87

He probably got off so lightly because of all the puns. No one could take it seriously.

• Advertisement

lucky lucky man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

To be honest, I think your 'class' isn't something you are born with today, it's to do with your personality. As soon as you even aspire to being an accountant - looking forward to years of study and some pretty tedious work in return for a good lifestyle - you are middle class.
    Interesting way of looking at it.

Advertisement