Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul lawrie or monty's career?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Simple question really, would you prefer to have the career of Paul lawrie or Colin montgomerie?

Lawrie was a decent if unspectacular tour player with 8 tour wins and 2 or 3 Ryder cup appearances.

Monty has 31 tour wins, 8 order of merits and is probably the greatest Ryder cup player ever.

However of course lawrie has a major in his back pocket, something which monty was famously never able to do.

So would you prefer to have the solid career with the major or the great career without one?

And how much would you slide in each case?
    As in, say if you picked lawrie would you also pick Todd Hamilton career above monty's or not?

And if you picked monty's career would you still choose monty's over say gmac's?

Personally I'd go with lawrie's but I wouldn't slide any "lower" than that. As in I wouldn't choose Todd Hamilton or Ben curtis's career over monty's!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Monty all the way, hes recognised worldwide as being a truly world class golfer.

The Major would have been icing on a very sizeable cake as opposed to a cupcake with plenty of icing that is Lawrie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Montys reputation on tour for his disregard of the rules would lead me toward Lawrie

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I'd go for lawrie the whole time. Monty choked going down the stretch in majors and its the one thing that could never leave me if that happened. Great thread by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Monty!!!

He has a lot more moments of glory on tour and in the Ryder cup which outweigh a single major IMO.

All be it Lawrie won a major. Anyone on tour can be lucky enough to win a major. To be fair he was all but handed the Open in 1999

I think Harrington or Monty would be a tougher decision to make:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Sean_pop wrote: »
    Monty!!!

He has a lot more moments of glory on tour and in the Ryder cup which outweigh a single major IMO.

All be it Lawrie won a major. Anyone on tour can be lucky enough to win a major. To be fair he was all but handed the Open in 1999

I think Harrington or Monty would be a tougher decision to make:confused::confused:

I'd take Monty over them both - Lawrie was gifted his and Harro won in a weakened field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Monty for me. I'm not a fan of his AT ALL, but he had a very impressive career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Domo1982 wrote: »
    I'd take Monty over them both - Lawrie was gifted his and Harro won in a weakened field.

Who missed the 2007 Open at Carnoustie in order to make it such a weakened field? Nobody that significant as I recall.

Tiger missed the 2008 Open and PGA but, as he hasn't won any Major since, would you argue that all Major winners since that date won in a weakened field? Alternatively, as Tiger hasn't won any Majors in the last six years, does his absence really indicate a weakened field?

Monty was clearly a better player than Lawrie but he is likely to be the one with the greater regrets as he looks back on his career in the years to come. Would Monty swap his career for Lawrie's? Possibly not. Would he swap his career for Padraig's? I would say yes although perhaps he would try to argue otherwise. Would Padraig swap his career for Monty's? Not for any money is my guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Monty won 7 order of merits in a row. This wasnt the european tour as it is now when the best player in the field is 46th in the world either.

He was up against langer, faldo, woosnam, sam torrance, seve (even) some of the best players in the world.

45 wins worldwide with 5 runner up finishes in majors, the lynchpin of many a ryder cup, a cup winning captain.

Hell, I dont like the guy at all, but its silly comparing him with Lawrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Monty won 7 order of merits in a row. This wasnt the european tour as it is now when the best player in the field is 46th in the world either.

He was up against langer, faldo, woosnam, sam torrance, seve (even) some of the best players in the world.

45 wins worldwide with 5 runner up finishes in majors, the lynchpin of many a ryder cup, a cup winning captain.

Hell, I dont like the guy at all, but its silly comparing him with Lawrie.

To defend the OP, I don't think anyone would argue that Lawrie was a better player than Monty. The question is which career would you prefer to have had.

Lawrie is likely to be quietly satisfied when he looks back on his career. He won several tour events, played in two Ryder Cup teams and, most importantly, he won the Open. Monty won a lot but he will always have regrets about the Majors he could have won. There is a strong argument for favouring the career with fewer regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Monty would chop his right arm off to have Padraigs career. 3 majors and various other wins around the world as well as a good Ryder cup innings no comparison. Monty is a self proclaimed legend. Any player with 3 majors has to go down as a true great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Dislike him, but I'd go with Monty. While he has choked in a few Majors in which he should have seen through one at the very least. to reach a level of consistency and maintain that over such a period of time is more impressive than just winning a single major to me. Added to that his Ryder Cup accomplishments and well, yeah. That's not to put Lawrie down with the likes of Rich Beem, Todd Hamilton and the like however. Now they were truly one hit wonders :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not even close, isolated Major won under the weirdest of circumstances versus a decade + of close to Euro dominance and RC legend

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think a few people have misinterpreted slightly, I'm not asking who was better (of course Monty) and I'm not asking who you prefer (someone picked lawrie because of monty's disregard for rules!)

I'm asking, if you were about to start on the tour tomorrow, would you rather achieve everything lawrie achieved or everything monty achieved? I genuinely think I'd prefer to have lawrie's major and solid career than monty's great career and no major.

Also Harrington or monty isn't even close. Harrington has 3 MAJORS. Aswell as other PGA tour wins (monty has none) and European tour wins, an order of merit and loads of Ryder cup appearance (I know monty outdoes him in these 3 but it's not as if Harrington hasn't achieved them too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

i think the question is pitched at about the right level.

If Monty had just been a good and successful Ryder Cupper than I'd go for Lawries career. However he was (arguably) the best ever Ryder Cupper. So would you give up one Open Championship win to be arguably the best Ryder Cup player of all time....I think I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think a few people have misinterpreted slightly, I'm not asking who was better (of course Monty) and I'm not asking who you prefer (someone picked lawrie because of monty's disregard for rules!)

I'm asking, if you were about to start on the tour tomorrow, would you rather achieve everything lawrie achieved or everything monty achieved? I genuinely think I'd prefer to have lawrie's major and solid career than monty's great career and no major.

Doesnt that imply that being the better golfer doenst necessarily translate to wins, thus further elevating Monty above Lawrie since the single major Lawrie has is easily offset by Monty's runner up spots?

Monty all the way for me, clearly the better player with the better results. One single major doesnt do it for me, there are loads of guys with 1 major who I certainly dont rate, dominating a class European tour for 10 years was an amazing achievement, OOM 7 times on the trot is just ridiculous, Tiger/Nicklaus/Palmer level dominance imo.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Doesnt that imply that being the better golfer doenst necessarily translate to wins, thus further elevating Monty above Lawrie since the single major Lawrie has is easily offset by Monty's runner up spots?

The number of runner up spots needed to offset a Major win is an 8....,lying on its side :)

cairny wrote: »

The number of runner up spots needed to offset a Major win is an 8....,lying on its side :)
    I disagree.
    There is typically a lot of luck involved in winning any tournament, even more on a major course. (Obviously if someone walks it a-la Woods its different)

But "happening" to win a major when you were finished and the others come back to you (ridiculously in some cases) to me isnt that much of an impressive feat. If he had gone out there and won it then thats different, a 3 way playoff against average-ish competition (one of who is in a fragile mental state after throwing it away)? mneah, not that great imo.

Compare that to being there time and time again and just not managing to cross the line? I know which I think is more impressive any day.

The best golfers in the world win and place in the majors time and time again, they dont just flash in and scoup up a few or else come dead last, look at Nicklaus or Norman, Mickelson, you put yourself in the position enough times and you win some.

A final point, if somehow Woods equals Nicklaus's major wins, are you saying that you wouldnt consider runner-up spots to determine who was the "best" golfer? Its really first or nothing?

I disagree.
    There is typically a lot of luck involved in winning any tournament, even more on a major course. (Obviously if someone walks it a-la Woods its different)

But "happening" to win a major when you were finished and the others come back to you (ridiculously in some cases) to me isnt that much of an impressive feat. If he had gone out there and won it then thats different, a 3 way playoff against average-ish competition (one of who is in a fragile mental state after throwing it away)? mneah, not that great imo.

Compare that to being there time and time again and just not managing to cross the line? I know which I think is more impressive any day.

The best golfers in the world win and place in the majors time and time again, they dont just flash in and scoup up a few or else come dead last, look at Nicklaus or Norman, Mickelson, you put yourself in the position enough times and you win some.

A final point, if somehow Woods equals Nicklaus's major wins, are you saying that you wouldnt consider runner-up spots to determine who was the "best" golfer? Its really first or nothing?

I agree with all of that. Monty is clearly the better golfer, no issue. But that's not what the OP asked. It's which career would you prefer to have had.

Would you really prefer say 7 second places and no win to 1 win and 0 seconds? Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Martin567 wrote: »
    Who missed the 2007 Open at Carnoustie in order to make it such a weakened field? Nobody that significant as I recall.

Tiger missed the 2008 Open and PGA but, as he hasn't won any Major since, would you argue that all Major winners since that date won in a weakened field? Alternatively, as Tiger hasn't won any Majors in the last six years, does his absence really indicate a weakened field?

Monty was clearly a better player than Lawrie but he is likely to be the one with the greater regrets as he looks back on his career in the years to come. Would Monty swap his career for Lawrie's? Possibly not. Would he swap his career for Padraig's? I would say yes although perhaps he would try to argue otherwise. Would Padraig swap his career for Monty's? Not for any money is my guess!

Thats a lot of questions Martin...not sure where to start but i'll try and cut between the rambling and get to the Woods question

The form Woods was in at that point in his career(75% win ratio) is the relevant stat. The fact he was so dominant in the run up to those majors and then was missing from the field then surely the logical conclusion is that everyone in the field has a better chance to win ?

Do you think that Harro cares? Probably not

Do you think that Harro would have preferred to win with Woods in the field and perhaps gone toe to toe with him down the stretch? I would guess 100% yes

The fact that its still being raised 7 years on is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

The form Woods was in at that point in his career(75% win ratio) is the relevant stat. The fact he was so dominant in the run up to those majors and then was missing from the field then surely the logical conclusion is that everyone in the field has a better chance to win ?

Is that stat correct ? 75% win ratio ?? Wow - I'm not sure but if that is correct then surely Paddys record is tainted abit ?

But on topic - I'd prefer Monty's but he's still a gowl !

• Advertisement

I agree with all of that. Monty is clearly the better golfer, no issue. But that's not what the OP asked. It's which career would you prefer to have had.

Would you really prefer say 7 second places and no win to 1 win and 0 seconds? Not me.

For me 1 win and nothing else isn't a career.

7 seconds in majors, domination of the tour and greatest ryder cup player? Now thats a career.

The fact that its still being raised 7 years on is interesting

You find your own fact interesting? You are the only one raising it chief!

For me 1 win and nothing else isn't a career.

7 seconds in majors, domination of the tour and greatest ryder cup player? Now thats a career.

If you'd read what I said you'd see that's more or less what I said, I picked Montys career because of the Ryder Cup, although to say Lawrie's done nothing else is grossly unfair.

I'm only taking issue with your statement that Montys (5) 2nds easily outweigh the Win by Lawrie. Can't see any Major winner shopping a win for 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

If you'd read what I said you'd see that's more or less what I said, I picked Montys career because of the Ryder Cup, although to say Lawrie's done nothing else is grossly unfair.

I'm only taking issue with your statement that Montys (5) 2nds easily outweigh the Win by Lawrie. Can't see any Major winner shopping a win for 5 seconds.

I'd agree with that. A major win would outweigh 5 2nds every day for me, Lawrie had a good few other tour wins also if im not mistaken? He was hardly just a journey man to be fair to him.

Im not 100% on this but would it be fair to say Monty was probably the most dedicated to the European Tour over the likes of Faldo & Langer? As in he would play every European event as opposed to the others travelling to the States for bigger events?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Golf, like a lot of sports, is a "glory game". Winning an order of merit means nothing compared to a major. Back in the '70's there was a player called Neil Coles, who was like the Monty of his day. He also never won a major and it's telling that more people would recall Doug Sanders choking at the 1970 British Open than anything Neil Coles ever achieved.
    In 30 years time Montgomerie will be a footnote as the Order of Merit winner (I can't recall now whether it was 6 or 7 in a row even now!) whereas Lawrie's name is etched forever on the Claret Jug

Golf, like a lot of sports, is a "glory game". Winning an order of merit means nothing compared to a major. Back in the '70's there was a player called Neil Coles, who was like the Monty of his day. He also never won a major and it's telling that more people would recall Doug Sanders choking at the 1970 British Open than anything Neil Coles ever achieved.
    In 30 years time Montgomerie will be a footnote as the Order of Merit winner (I can't recall now whether it was 6 or 7 in a row even now!) whereas Lawrie's name is etched forever on the Claret Jug

You're ignoring the Ryder Cup which is a huge part of his career and will be what he's remembered for. Plenty of glory in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Simple question really, would you prefer to have the career of Paul lawrie or Colin montgomerie?

Lawrie was a decent if unspectacular tour player with 8 tour wins and 2 or 3 Ryder cup appearances.

Monty has 31 tour wins, 8 order of merits and is probably the greatest Ryder cup player ever.

However of course lawrie has a major in his back pocket, something which monty was famously never able to do.

So would you prefer to have the solid career with the major or the great career without one?

And how much would you slide in each case?
    As in, say if you picked lawrie would you also pick Todd Hamilton career above monty's or not?

And if you picked monty's career would you still choose monty's over say gmac's?

Personally I'd go with lawrie's but I wouldn't slide any "lower" than that. As in I wouldn't choose Todd Hamilton or Ben curtis's career over monty's!

My reading from those stats is Lawrie - 8 wins - 9 if the Major is counted separately.

Monty 31 wins.

I think id rather 31 wins WITHOUT the major - and be GREAT at Ryder cup - then 8 or 9 wins with the major

At the end of the day - Golfers like to win - so 31 wins is a big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Come back in 10 years when the Ryder Cup has ceased to exist in its current format. The Ryder Cup means a lot to him, nothing much to anyone else. In any case I'm sure he'd swap those Ryder Cups for a major anyday

Come back in 10 years when the Ryder Cup has ceased to exist in its current format. The Ryder Cup means a lot to him, nothing much to anyone else. In any case I'm sure he'd swap those Ryder Cups for a major anyday

The Ryder Cup means nothing much to anyone else? Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't think they've been mentioned yet but:
    On Lawries' side there is a great Ryder Cup in Medinah to be fondly remembered. His victory over Snedeker was fairly amazing, he'll be able to look back on that chip in, that win and that amazing team effort with joy.

Then, on Monty's side, while it's only a Senior Major, I'm sure it still meant a lot to him and at least he can say (1 million times) that he has a major (of some sort).

For me, I'd pick Monty's career by a bit, the main reason being that Lawrie's major win will forever be remembered for the major that Van de Velde threw away.

In terms of my tipping point, I'd opt for GMacs career over Monty's.

Advertisement