Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you take a Winter break from Golf?

Options
  • 17-11-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind hearing some general opinions on taking a winter break from golf for a few weeks? Do you do it?

I never really have but I think I'm going to this year. I was playing great golf for the last while (2 level par rounds in October) and got myself down to 4 for the first time and I was really enjoying the game. The last couple of weeks I haven't played as much but still playing well.

So while it sounds sort of illogical that's the reason I think I'm going to take a few weeks off. This way I figure when I come back I'll be absolutely dying to play again and hit the ground running when I come back to it around Xmas. I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 lessons in january so that I'm used to them by the time the counting comps come around again and I want to be itching to go for those lessons. If I stay playing now I figure if I hit a bad run of form it'll dampen my enthusiasm for 2015. Also I find it hard to motivate myself for competitions that I can't get cut for so I've no real issue with missing out on the winter league or anything like that.

So I suppose I'm taking my winter break so that I can "go out on a high" from 2014 and be ready to come back super fired up in my bid to get down around a 2 handicap next year.

Do you take a winter break? And if so what's your reason for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

No break. Spend loads more time at the range trying to improve on areas that were costing shots during the previous season. Great time to try out new changes and gear. I'm planning to mess around with a cack handed putting grip during the winter, something I wouldn't do during the competition season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Only playing winter golf since 2011 winter. Did love them and - for the most part the weather was very good.

Had not intended to take a break , but felt I needed one this year. I've found that I've gone to the range a bit more lately. I plan on winter lessons and range work.

I enjoy winter golf on a still day - but near 5 deg when the wind is up - as tends to be on east coast. It is definitely an extreme sport.

So intend to take a month off this winter. I hope I'll have the will power to stop.

I don't think going to the range much is actually good for you - I think if you have a decent swing speed - it actually results in injuries.

A round of golf is only 36- 45 full swings - at a range lads can stand and hit 20 drivers in a row - have myself. Daft.

So yes am this winter and later a full month out.

One thing I haven't worked out is how to keep short game sharp in winter - honestly - I don't think many have , you rarely see anybody on my short game area this time of year - very exposed.

Will play Corballis Opens to keep my game sharp .

So Yes is the answer - but haven't worked out how it will go. Would like to go back swimming. Would have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Haven't played in 2 1/2 weeks now and don't think I'll get out this week either.

It's quite refreshing spending time with the nippers and my missus is actually quite sound when you get to know her I've just found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Had a game on Sunday which was my first round in about a month and found it hard to enjoy it. Was absolutely freezing! Course wasn't in the most playable condition either of course with the week preceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

Always take a winter break, I'm a self confessed big time fair weather player though

It's not like I say right, it's December next week, clubs are going in the shed I just tend to relax and don't feel like I have to get out, if the weather is anyway decent I may try organise a casual fourball followed by pints etc but winter comps don't appeal to me... especially when placing everywhere comes in...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No chance, going to put in a big effort this winter and see where it takes me next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The only breaks I tend to take are weather enforced one's when the course is closed.

Though I played my first 9 holes last Saturday morning in 3 weeks. Was a cracking day for golf & no competition on so I just went out to enjoy swinging.

Was actually much more enjoyable than last couple of competitive rounds I played & I played better golf being relaxed with the pressure off.

I probably won't play a massive amount this winter with various things coming up, but plan to enjoy the opportunities that I do get to play

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    Haven't played in 2 1/2 weeks now and don't think I'll get out this week either.

It's quite refreshing spending time with the nippers and my missus is actually quite sound when you get to know her I've just found out.

That's not what they mean when they say to work on your misses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

No break for for me just getting a bit of consistency and I'm planing to drive it home over the winter. 2 range sessions and 27 holes is my weekly goal weather permitting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can only play during the week with the odd weekend game during the summer so I get to play very little winter golf. Odd round every now and then only unfortunately which is very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

9holes on a Saturday is enough for me. Fresh air to blow the cobwebs away, a chinwag and a pint with the lads after. Sure what else would ye be doing. Sure the kids expect me to be missing on Saturday afternoons anyway so why stop while your ahead.

Been playing this game over 35 years and still haven't found the secret to keeping the short game sharp in the winter. In fact it can be so blunt ye would have to turn away and not look coz it's contagious. But who cares, no .1's in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Wombatman wrote: »
    No break. Spend loads more time at the range trying to improve on areas that were costing shots during the previous season. Great time to try out new changes and gear. I'm planning to mess around with a cack handed putting grip during the winter, something I wouldn't do during the competition season.

Would love to work on putting myself.finding a putting green on dark evenings is a bit of a challenge.work in knocklyon it be nice to practice local course on my break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Only take breaks if enforced due to weather. I'm an early morning golfer so frost kills me.

Been playing every week so far and gotten really lucky with the weather. Long may it continue. And all this placing and bunkers GUR in my home course is making me look a good golfer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Would love to work on putting myself.finding a putting green on dark evenings is a bit of a challenge.work in knocklyon it be nice to practice local course on my break

You can do great work at home on the carpet. My carpet is about 10 on the Stimpmeter.

http://www.putting-greens.com/stimpmeter.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Wombatman wrote: »
    You can do great work at home on the carpet. My carpet is about 10 on the Stimpmeter.

http://www.putting-greens.com/stimpmeter.html

Have a rug at home il look into that link cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MJBett

Couldn't. And luckily I don't have to - I'm in Florida!

MJBett wrote: »
    Couldn't. And luckily I don't have to - I'm in Florida!

yes but are you happy. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

B242U3MIEAAcp35.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Was out in unreal fog today, could see about 120 yards.

Enjoyed it in a twisted way, you had to just trust swing on long shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was out in unreal fog today, could see about 120 yards.

Enjoyed it in a twisted way, you had to just trust swing on long shots.

Crazy fog alright and never lifted all day in Meath, visibility in terms of seeing a flag limited to about 100 yards. Had a lesson this morning and had to take off the jumper it was so warm, practiced for a good bit after still in the T-shirt. Nice calm weather although the fog is a bit annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

ill tell ya tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

taking a break, dont fancy playing in the weather to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I haven't played in about 6 weeks and am unlikely to until at least January at this point. I may get to the range a couple of times in December but between a niggly neck injury and just not being arsed I haven't been into playing the game much of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Played yesterday went from lovely fresh morning to playing in the dark in about 4 holes. We had a laugh all the same & just happy to be out flogging away. .

Where is that Lester ?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Where is that Lester ?

Thats on the 3rd hole of tramore's newtown 9 & the 2nd pic is the 4th hole long par3 always into the wind. Hate that hole lol

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Played to day had to pack it in after nine

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have only played 1 round of golf since 26th of October and wont play again till 30th november. I have really enjoyed my break but im itching to get back. I normally take a 3 week break between November and December but this is the longest one I have taken.... not sure I'll go this long again.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Well after 1st year of proper Golf (playing comps) i think i might take a break for December. 1) because of the weather and its no fun and 2) to make out a practice plan for the winter.
    Also when the Comps list comes out, mark in the big ones like scratch cups and medals....

Anyone else do out practice plans, drills etc. (or am i just mad)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Went out today, teed off at 8.30 and it was grand, lovely and warm come 11 and great to be there, golf was another matter...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement