Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS watch tablet connectivity

Options
  • 12-11-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Guys,

One for the more technologically savy amongt a/r/t boardies. I have a Garmin 220 which I use for tracking runs. Love knowing pace / distances are reliable because I spent an age using mobile apps for this (all of them fairly useless).

However, my biggest gripe with the Garmin watch is trying to upload my runs from my watch. I have long since moved on from my ancient laptop to a tablet (have and ipad 2). Love the tablet, easy to browse net, for Netflix etc etc.

Now being an apple product you can't connect to the tablet at all (annoyingly). And since my laptop is now ancient, when I turn it on it takes an age between booting up and doing any required updates. So hate doing that - don't get me started on doing a firmware upgrade!

Has anyone got suggestions for getting round this problem. Is anyone using a tablet that they can directly connect their Garmin to which allows upload of runs from watch and downloading of firmware to watch? I've already started migrating from ios to Android (have android phone) so that wouldn't be an issue

Alternatively, anyone using a GPS watch with say bluetooth connectivity that does the above, don't think the firmware can be done this route but not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The Bluetooth Garmin watches should upload to IOS and Android via an app.
    I have neither, but upload my runs to a Windows 8 tablet via an OTG cable that extends the micro usb port to full size, so I can either put the Ant Stick in (910xt) or connect directly to the watch (Fenix2).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Alternatively, anyone using a GPS watch with say bluetooth connectivity that does the above, don't think the firmware can be done this route but not sure.

Polar :D

To answer the first bit you should be able to connect via BT on the ipad. The 220 will sync via iphone so I don't understand why it won't hapen on the ipad.

Wife has a 220 I'll try it later to see what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

The Garmin units require a BLE (Bluetooth low energy) connection, this is a relatively new technology and as far as I'm aware the iPad 2 doesn't have this. Do you have a smartphone? I upload through my HTC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭irishmanmick

Whoops typo there - I have the 210 not 220!

@AKW Was looking at the Polar M400, looks really good. Used to use the FT4 before I upgraded to a GPS watch. Do you know if you can sync a training plan to the M400? Are you guys stocking them?

Had an adidas micoach pacer unit which was great but had more tech going out on a run than a HSE hospital so most time ended up leaving and just pacing using watch. Would love to combine the two (without having to spend €350 on the adidas watch)

@beepbeep that sounds the trick on the tablet side, wonder if there android tablets that do the same? Google it is so!!

The Garmin units require a BLE (Bluetooth low energy) connection, this is a relatively new technology and as far as I'm aware the iPad 2 doesn't have this. Do you have a smartphone? I upload through my HTC one.

No it doesn't but have a Samsung Galaxy S5 so covered from there on that point. Watch needs upgrading there I think tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

@AKW Was looking at the Polar M400, looks really good. Used to use the FT4 before I upgraded to a GPS watch. Do you know if you can sync a training plan to the M400? Are you guys stocking them?

At the moment the Polar Flow website is the holding feature in any development. You can create workouts there and sync back to the watch alright, but not fully functional at the moment.

Changes are imminent.

I think I (in Oranmore) am one of the only stockists in Ireland. I sold out of M400 and due more in.

Cheers AKW, in Dublin so would be making to trip to AK Ashtown if I decide to change it up. Will defo keep an eye on the development side there, no anroid app support yet either. Would be very interested if they sort out the training & app support side.

In the meantime I managed to find a DC Rainmaker article that solves the immediate problem of uploading runs direct from watch to smartphone. It's below for anyone interested

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/garmin-ipad-android-surface.html

Great resource that website (hopefully okay to post link)

Advertisement