Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin HRM - New battery?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭

I'd been using my HRM on my Garmin up until the end of July when it started to give strange readings and spike a lot during training runs. I ditched it for the final stages of marathon training, but intend to go back using it in about a month when I start running again. I tried it on this morning just to check if there was still a problem and it appears there is. I put the strap on and turned on the watch. It recognises the HRM and gives a reading for about five seconds before the screen goes blank again (HR screen still showing, but no figure for the bpm). I had been advised that it probably needs a new battery.

Does anyone with more Garmin experience agree that this is the problem? Or is it more complicated than that and I may need a completely new HRM?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hard to say for sure, but certainly a battery is a cheaper option than replacing the strap, so I'd go in that direction first. CR2032 should do the job. You may have to re-pair it with the watch after removing the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hard to say for sure, but certainly a battery is a cheaper option than replacing the strap, so I'd go in that direction first. CR2032 should do the job. You may have to re-pair it with the watch after removing the battery.

Thanks Krusty.
    Do you know where I'd get that battery?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty.
    Do you know where I'd get that battery?
    Anywhere that sells batteries. Tescos, Dunnes, newsagents, electronic shops. Needless to say, the supermarkets would be the cheapest.

0218368_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone know the best size/type of screwdriver for getting the little screws out on the soft strap model? Have been trying a couple of different jewellers types screwdrivers with no luck and am afraid I'm going to strip the screws. Maybe if I brought the transmitter somewhere, they might do it for me?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I normally go to the euro shop and you can usually pick up a pack of these for a euro. The branded ones are like 5 times the price. You will get other size ones you don't need.

rom wrote: »
    I normally go to the euro shop and you can usually pick up a pack of these for a euro. The branded ones are like 5 times the price. You will get other size ones you don't need.

yep - the dealz shops have these.

I'm not sure what strap that you have but I use a coin to open the garmin strap where the battery is on the strap that I have - it's the old style strap though.

glasso wrote: »
    yep - the dealz shops have these.

I'm not sure what strap that you have but I use a coin to open the garmin strap where the battery is on the strap that I have - it's the old style strap though.

The newer ones need a need a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Have you ever tested these with a voltmeter ROM?

Few reports of troublesome HR spiking tracing back to 'fresh' batteries that are not so fresh. Just wondering if you've noticed any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Stark wrote: »
    Anyone know the best size/type of screwdriver for getting the little screws out on the soft strap model? Have been trying a couple of different jewellers types screwdrivers with no luck and am afraid I'm going to strip the screws. Maybe if I brought the transmitter somewhere, they might do it for me?

I use the screwdriver from my iphone repair kit. Can be picked up online fairly cheap. http://www.syncron.ie/REPAIR_KIT_OPENING_TOOLS_FOR_IPHONE_4_3G_3GS_IPOD_p/t.htm

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Have you ever tested these with a voltmeter ROM?

Few reports of troublesome HR spiking tracing back to 'fresh' batteries that are not so fresh. Just wondering if you've noticed any issues.
    Interesting. How do u know I have a voltmeter? : that would make since alright. I my stash from apple remotes that come with imac .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Interesting. How do u know I have a voltmeter? : that would make since alright. I my stash from apple remotes that come with imac .

I didn't but now I do!! :)

It was a suggestion that I read on a forum at one stage about multipack baterries and erratic HR. Be interested in your feedback as I don't have a testng kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Rather than starting a new thread I said I’d ask a slightly related question here.

My ANT+ HRM has been sitting in a drawer for a few years, and I tried to pair it the other day with my forerunner 405cx and had no joy. I’ve replaced the battery and still had no joy.

I was wondering if anyone else had any advice on troubleshooting? As there is no indicator lights or displays it’s hard to tell if its completely shot or not. Are they generally study pieces of kit?

Cheers.

Advertisement