Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Golf Facts

Options
  • 29-10-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I will start us off here.

Samuel L Jackson has a stipulation in his contract which allows him to play Golf at least twice a week whenever he is filming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

mike Austin drove the ball 515 yards in 1974. decent dig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Sean_pop wrote: »

Samuel L Jackson has a stipulation in his contract which allows him to play Golf at least twice a week whenever he is filming.

Always loved him, even more so now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

The only reason Phil Mickelson swings left-handed is because he used to stand facing his father in order to copy his swing. He's right handed in everything else he does.

"A perfectly smooth golf ball with no dimples would travel about 130 yards when hit with a driver by a good player. On the other hand, a ball with well-designed dimples, struck the same way, will travel about 290 yards."

http://www.franklygolf.com/dimples-on-a-golf-ball.aspx

I remember reading an article about an interview with Phil Mickelson about this. His daughter was doing a school project on the effect dimples had on golf balls. He brought her to the factory and tried balls with no dimples. He said all his clubs went in and around the same distance, just over 100 yards. His driver wasn't going much further than his wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

newport2 wrote: »
    "A perfectly smooth golf ball with no dimples would travel about 130 yards when hit with a driver by a good player. On the other hand, a ball with well-designed dimples, struck the same way, will travel about 290 yards."

http://www.franklygolf.com/dimples-on-a-golf-ball.aspx

I remember reading an article about an interview with Phil Mickelson about this. His daughter was doing a school project on the effect dimples had on golf balls. He brought her to the factory and tried balls with no dimples. He said all his clubs went in and around the same distance, just over 100 yards. His driver wasn't going much further than his wedge.

Explains why balls at the range that have hardly any dimples left can react strangely in the air. Ever see a range ball seem to drop from the sky quickly when it reaches its apex ? All the same idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With the exception of races, is there another pro sport where the lowest score wins?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

slave1 wrote: »
    With the exception of races, is there another pro sport where the lowest score win?

Darts ?

With the exception of races, is there another pro sport where the lowest score win?

Pitch and putt? :D

newport2 wrote: »
    Pitch and putt? :D

Now now ;)
    Not a pro sport :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

With the exception of races, is there another pro sport where the lowest score wins?

Show jumping.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 paulieG89

Handy gig he has going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Correct. I worked on a ship back in the 90s and Samuel L was filming the 51 State over in England. He travelled over one night on the ferry heading to Portmarnock to golf with all of his buddies onboard. A very nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

I remember reading about Mike Austin before, interesting character. You know the funny thing about it?

'Sadly, after the 515-yard drive, Austin pitched back onto the green and three-putted. Longest drive in history* and Mike Austin walked away with a bogey.'

Drive for show, putt for dough!

*I don't think it is recognised any more, but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

scored a couple of great goals for QPR to keep their hopes alive 🙅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Oops. Sorry think I mixed it up with Steve Austin Six million dollar man

Rory wears glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Rory wears glasses!
    Is that why he is always looking at JP wondering where it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MJBett

Well, one I find curious is how in 1457, golf was banned in Scotland by the nation's Parliament 'cus they believed it interfered with residents' military training.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

The longest golf hole in the world is the 7th hole (par 7) on the Sano Course at the Satsuki Golf Club in Japan. It measures an amazing 964 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Rory is the first european to win 3 different majors.

• Advertisement

Rory is the first european to win 3 different majors.

Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sailing: 1 (or sometimes 0.75)point for 1st place; 2 points for second and so on...

Advertisement