Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New garmins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So they're both wusses and miss out on vital bad weather testing.
    Hmm... They road-test BMWs on Irish roads... You'd imagine they could fire over a few Garmin watches! I wouldn't mind helping them out.. :) Feels like I've been beta-testing their products for years anyway!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Missed this up until now, think will get the 220 when available.

Key features for me that make it a no brainer-

1) Bluetooth - for me the idea that when you get back from a run the run will just upload itself to connect via phone is ideal. No finding laptop and turning on PC to do it anymore. May not be the same for all but 99% of the time now I haven't got a PC on at home, but 100% of the time I have a tablet or phone within hand reach.
    (If they fix up their app to have a full tablet version with connect all the better)

2) proper waterproofing. Annoying that they will leave swim options out but nice to be able to pretty much make it a full time sports watch.

Otherwise it is actually a little big for my liking, I prefer the size of the 10 series, but they make good use of the screen. I'd probably prefer a 10 series with the above two features really.

The cadence/oscillation features of the 620 with hrm are interesting, but I mostly don't bother with hrm anyway.

Anyone have any key features that 620 has over 220? I'm not seeing anything that I would use.

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone have any key features that 620 has over 220? I'm not seeing anything that I would use.
    If you're not planning on using the HRM functionality, then no, not really. Personally, I'd welcome the HR and Vo2max data, as well as the direct Wifi connectivity (just so I wouldn't have to connect it through an intermediary device).

Think the 220 has the wifi also?

I have nothing against the extra data, but know I'd spend the extra and the hrm would end up same place they 405 one is, I.e I have no idea cos only used it a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

i have a Garmin 405 - am i correct in thinking that the 220 is the newer version of it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Any word on when these are being released I'm planning on picking up a garmin at the end of the month.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    i have a Garmin 405 - am i correct in thinking that the 220 is the newer version of it?

Thanks
    No, but it sounds like it would be a good substitute. The 405 was followed by the 405cx, and then the 410, all pretty much identical. Not sure if they'll continue the series any further, but it sounds like the 220 does everything the 405 does, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Any word on when these are being released I'm planning on picking up a garmin at the end of the month.

It was Nov 2 but now that had gone to Mid-Nov. There is a discount code for this site dcrainmaker http://www.clevertraining.com/p-9029-garmin-forerunner-620.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What is the best site for ordering the new garmins?

Think the 220 has the wifi also?
    Upload and share your activities to Garmin Connect using your home Wi-Fi (620 only) or USB connection or connect anywhere with a Bluetooth low energy-compatible smartphone and Garmin Connect Mobile. Post your PRs to your favorite social networks so everyone knows you are a force to be reckoned with.

From here, no wifi on the 220. Not really a big issue, but a small time-saver when you are at home (and one less failure point). I daresay that if you were travelling, connecting it to hotel wifi would probably be a pain in the a$$, and you'd be better off uploading via bluetooth to a phone/tablet anyway(just picturing what a pain it would be to enter an SSID/Security key on the watch).

Also worth mentioning, that the 620 is touch screen, while the 220 is not. In my view, that a plus point in favour of the 220.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    What is the best site for ordering the new garmins?
    It's probably a little premature to think in terms of ordering, but this UK site includes them in their stock list for December delivery. I reckon there's a very good chance that any delivery date will probably slip by 4-6 weeks, if the 910 is anything to go by. Also, they're pretty expensive, particularly when compared to US prices.

620: £360 / $450
    220: £250 / $299

If you could order the Forerunner 220 to the US and get it shipped, it's a pretty good price (€218). It's €295 from the UK site. Just expect lots and lots of bugs for the first 6-9 months of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

The Garmin 610 is 199stg on amazon with the HRM. Would this still be a higher end watch than the 220? From what I can tell they are very similar but the 220 has bluetooth uploading and no touchscreen. Like you I'm put off a little by the touchscreen on the 610 but dont fancy a buggy watch (220) for the next 6-12 months.

The Garmin 610 is 199stg on amazon with the HRM. Would this still be a higher end watch than the 220? From what I can tell they are very similar but the 220 has bluetooth uploading and no touchscreen. Like you I'm put off a little by the touchscreen on the 610 but dont fancy a buggy watch (220) for the next 6-12 months.
    Hard to say, as they have slightly different feature sets. Have you looked at DCRainmaker's preview of the 220/620? It also includes the 610, for comparison purposes, so you can do a feature comparison. Preview. Search for the words: COMPARISON TABLES

Some key differences:
    610 supports cycle cadence sensor
    220 supports indoor tracking with in-built accelerometer
    610 has virtual partner
    610 features back to start functionality
    610 integrates with ANT+ sensors/equipment
    220 will read satellite data from Bluetooth devices (possible quicker acquisition)
    220 will send workouts via mobile/BT
    220 may possibly have longer battery life (2 hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mr.Fred wrote: »

We have been told that they will be available at the end of October.

Its a bit similar to the situation with the FR10 that was released last year. Retaillers had little or no information of launch dates or prices in the run up to their availability.

I'd expect that the prices will be very much the same in terms of comparison with UK and EU as the FR10 were (ie little or no difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So is it worth while buying the 220 when in USA in a few weeks?

Amazon reporting a release date of April 2014 for the 620 and Jan 1 2014 for the 220

A lot of sites in US have 220 shipping middle of November and both listed on wiggle etc which would usual mean they are due very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Although look at how long the Vector took to get to market. Garmin seem to be very good at overpromising / underdelivering on their launch dates.

True, but since a few preview samples are out there you would assume they announced and release them to get things going for holiday market. Would have to be serious issues with supply to wait until jan to launch them..

• Advertisement

True, but since a few preview samples are out there you would assume they announced and release them to get things going for holiday market. Would have to be serious issues with supply to wait until jan to launch them..
    That's exactly what happened with the 910. They tried to get it out for the Christmas rush. Failed. General availability wasn't until end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

That's exactly what happened with the 910. They tried to get it out for the Christmas rush. Failed. General availability wasn't until end of January.

Won'y be holding my breath for the 910 replacement (920?) then but I'd expect my 310 to keep going for a while yet although the vibration bit has stopped working a while back.

Full review of the 620

Interesting... You can't actually connect the watch directly to a Wifi network (e.g. choose a Wifi network on the watch and enter the wifi password/key). You need to establish the Wifi connection on a computer (Windows/Mac) and send that connection information to the watch, which is a bit of a bummer. Means that you're nearly as well off using a Bluetooth/Smart-phone when travelling. It'll work fine when at home though.

Some of the features sound great, but I just wonder if I would ever use them after the initial novelty wore off. Vo2max, race predictor, recovery advisor, running dynamics... They're all 'pretty' but not particularly necessary.

Good stuff:
    * A HRM with no spikes
    * 6 weeks of battery in standby mode
    * HRM works as a foot-pod in the gym/cadence sensor

Bad stuff:
    * Navigation is gone - I really like this functionality when travelling
    * Lots of new failure points - particularly wrt losing workouts/data

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Interesting... You can't actually connect the watch directly to a Wifi network (e.g. choose a Wifi network on the watch and enter the wifi password/key). You need to establish the Wifi connection on a computer (Windows/Mac) and send that connection information to the watch, which is a bit of a bummer. Means that you're nearly as well off using a Bluetooth/Smart-phone when travelling. It'll work fine when at home though.
    It also looks like the watch "phones home" directly to garmin connect. It doesn't look like you can point it at other sites like Strava, which would be a bummer too as I gave up on Garmin connect a good few months ago. I find it too slow and painful.

plodder wrote: »
    It also looks like the watch "phones home" directly to garmin connect. It doesn't look like you can point it at other sites like Strava, which would be a bummer too as I gave up on Garmin connect a good few months ago. I find it too slow and painful.
    You mean over Wifi? You can still grab the FIT files via USB and stick 'em wherever you want (:eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

You mean over Wifi? You can still grab the FIT files via USB and stick 'em wherever you want (:eek:).
    Right, over wifi I meant. It would be a pain if you bought the watch and couldn't use the wifi because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they add it in a software update though. The 3rd party sites will have to understand the format from the watch first, which might be different to the FIT files.

plodder wrote: »
    Right, over wifi I meant. It would be a pain if you bought the watch and couldn't use the wifi because of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they add it in a software update though. The 3rd party sites will have to understand the format from the watch first, which might be different to the FIT files.
    No it won't. fit is just basic XML. Any new key value pairs (new features) will just be ignored by the other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement

Pretty hopeful news for release soon that he has a final production version now I guess?

Advertisement