Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Golf Moments

• 12-11-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭

Lads - donn't know if this will work as a thread - but was reading about this last night. Sad tale - we all know it.

But post here any classic golf moments and any views or memories of them.

I'll never forget this, watched it live , he was very unlucky , but daft at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I watched it live too - I will never forget Peter Alliss's words: “He’s gone gaga". That 2nd shot was the stupidest, stupidest shot I have ever seen at any level of the game. Still, in true Tin Cup fashion, his name will never be forgotten. Not that that's any consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Depressing to watch that again, really feel sorry for him.

Something a little more light hearted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I watched it live too - I will never forget Peter Alliss's words: “He’s gone gaga". That 2nd shot was the stupidest, stupidest shot I have ever seen at any level of the game. Still, in true Tin Cup fashion, his name will never be forgotten. Not that that's any consolation.

Yes Kevin, agree - but, I think he has done well for himself, he is a great speaker, has the French looks, he would obviously love his name on it, but he has done well- would he be so involved with the French successful effort for the Ryder Cup there in 2018.

He has done well out of it.

"In 2012 he was named by UNICEF France as an ambassador – only the second French sportsman, after Lilian Thuram, to achieve this"

Only in France would such altruism be the norm.

For a guy that only won twice on the European tour. You could make an argument - that even if he won, it he would have been in the category of "unusual winner" The Open throws up - Ben Curtis et al.

So was unreal - but was he a guy out of place in a way.

In the end Paul Lawrie won it , but you could make an argument about him too,

I love the Open , but the results at times are - I can't put my finger on it.

Anyway - if anybody has other ideas for classic moments - please add.

Senna - that is class , I only seen it in last few months.

amazing - you are looking at it going, is that fluke or - well , he was the best golfer ever. He just doesn't even think about it.

Great piece.

Looking at it now - look how open his stance is, as a lad who has had serious issues with putting over 3 years , your there ! your putting does not need to be based on theory.

The lads in the 70s had such different ideas on putting. It was far more individualistic.

BTW - I just looked at that again - an awful awful start to a thread about Classic Golf Moments.
    But sorry, I wouldn't have posted it , if I wasn't reading about it , and I wouldn't have posted thread, If that had not had made me think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It's a great idea for a thread, I only seen that putt of JN's a couple of months back too, but it was 4 years ago, so how many other moments are there that I've missed.
    I think jean van de velde's meltdown should be in the thread, but unfortunately for the wrong reasons.
    One more for tonight:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

padraig harrington putt on 18 in uspga 2008. fist pump. unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mickelson wrote: »
    padraig harrington putt on 18 in uspga 2008. fist pump. unreal.

Your own putt to beat Els at the 2004 Masters.

"Is it his time? YES! At long last!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Before our time but for me still the classic moment in golf, a great shot but hit by a guy with a broken body

http://www.golf.com/photos/ben-hogans-100th-birthday/1-iron-18-merion-1950-us-open#315572

Rose's re enactment of it is a classic moment of its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvZ2cG24Hk

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Jack Nicklaus's final hole at the Open, 2005 at St Andrews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Chekky fecker slowing up play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

cairny wrote: »
    Before our time but for me still the classic moment in golf, a great shot but hit by a guy with a broken body

http://www.golf.com/photos/ben-hogans-100th-birthday/1-iron-18-merion-1950-us-open#315572

Rose's re enactment of it is a classic moment of its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvZ2cG24Hk

Hogan had blood in his shoes and if the playoff had been extra holes that evening many doubted he could have played on. But he won the 18 hole playoff the next day.
    Incidentally the 1 Iron he was hitting in that shot was stolen from his bag after the round. Only turned up a couple of years ago.
    For so many reasons this is my favorite golfing photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Ah c'mon! I'm welling up here!!

A legend.

How did we let it get this far!!! (Sh1t quality unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Brilliant, right up there.

Your story about Hogans 1 iron being stolen reminded me that Watson doesn't have that wedge anymore either. A few years ago he was President of Ballybunion, came over for the Presidents Prize and put that wedge up as a prize. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

http://youtu.be/YROte1Ez1Ns

Think this shot illustrates tiger in his prime. He was nearly unbeatable at this stage in his career and was a pleasure to watch.

This is actually working :)
    Was just thinking - we don't get to talk about old golf too much on any threads.

I'll put the negative ones up - I've missed all these puts at some stage , but not for majors.

Watching all these together is best - as it is actually painful to watch.

maybe it is nicer if in the original footage.

But here is unusual look - at one of the most amazing shots I ever seen.

To me it is al hands and path with Bubba.

• Advertisement

Was nearly crying at Nicklaus there - he goes and Birdies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Tried to search on youtube but could not sem to fnd the video of Heni Otto's 6 putt from 5 feet. Pure class !

It's great hearing these 6 putts and 9 and 10's on holes, even I haven't managed that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Hogan had blood in his shoes and if the playoff had been extra holes that evening many doubted he could have played on. But he won the 18 hole playoff the next day.
    Incidentally the 1 Iron he was hitting in that shot was stolen from his bag after the round. Only turned up a couple of years ago.
    For so many reasons this is my favorite golfing photo.

That open was a fabulous story. I read Hogan by Curt Sampson, well worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

maybe it is nicer if in the original footage.

But here is unusual look - at one of the most amazing shots I ever seen.

To me it is al hands and path with Bubba.

Couldn't agree more. Only shot that had the same impact for me was Tiger's miracle shot on the 16th in 2005.

It is class they way the crowd - everyone is just so up for him.

Was jut thinking there you could do a full thread on Phil (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Was nearly crying at Nicklaus there - he goes and Birdies it.

He gave his son and caddie the ball and told him he didn't want to see it show up on eBay :D

I saw him talking about it a few years later on American TV and he said that he knew, no matter where he put the ball, the hole was going to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Paul McGinley Ryder Cup 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378CoBre7po

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Lads - donn't know if this will work as a thread - but was reading about this last night. Sad tale - we all know it.

But post here any classic golf moments and any views or memories of them.

I'll never forget this, watched it live , he was very unlucky , but daft at the same time.

What's that you say Fixde? the British Open is it?, say it ain't so, apparently according to certain experts around here, there is no such tournament:rolleyes::pac::pac::D.

Anyway have to say I still cringe when watching Van der Velde, still a classic golf moment and a lesson on how not to win a Major.
    Tried to search on youtube but could not sem to fnd the video of Heni Otto's 6 putt from 5 feet. Pure class !
    Even using your incorrect spelling it's still the top result after a youtube search.

• Advertisement

:D

Jaysus Norfolk . You love an old scrap. kerry blood in ya.

:D

Jaysus Norfolk . You love an old scrap. kerry blood in ya.
    Ah shure you know yerself Fix, it's not easy been right all the time;):p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"being"

:pac:

Only thing.

know a lad from down there always right. First name Roy.

Always Right, but you end up having few friends.

Joking - keep it up. Need to keep people sharp around here.

GreeBo wrote: »
    "being"

:pac:
    Ah here no one likes a spelling nazi.:pac::pac:
    Only thing.

know a lad from down there always right. First name Roy.

Always Right, but you end up having few friends.

Joking - keep it up. Need to keep people sharp around here.

Don't worry Fix, I've enough friends, and while yer man wouldn't be from too far away geographically speaking, the mentality would be worlds apart:pac:.

Ah here no one likes a spelling nazi.:pac::pac:

I saw that too but decided to adhere to the Golf Charter Rules and Guidelines...:confused:

Grammar Nazis
    - Replying to a post to point out grammatical or spelling errors will result in an infraction.
    Its not welcome here, dont do it.

• Advertisement

Right enough of that.

I've put it up a few times - but love this full piece the commentary etc.

Paddy has a great smile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

slave1 wrote: »
    I saw that too but decided to adhere to the Golf Charter Rules and Guidelines...:confused:

Grammar Nazis
    - Replying to a post to point out grammatical or spelling errors will result in an infraction.
    Its not welcome here, dont do it.

I figure if someone makes a mistake, whilst (tongue in cheek) claiming to be always right, then it's ok (tongue still in cheek) to pull them up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

What's that you say Fixde? the British Open is it?, say it ain't so, apparently according to certain experts around here, there is no such tournament:rolleyes::pac::pac::D.QUOTE]

Couple of stills from a four part documentary "History of the Open" available on youtube - both from tournaments in the 1950's

Full series is well worth a watch - plenty of classic moments from "The Open" throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnIkiNdNQw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBmW6IgfSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndXlKTajszs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEp1ji7QtxQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Not sure if they're quite classic moments, but a few that stuck out in my mind

Tiger bunker over water

Monty after playing with Tiger

A classic for me, I remember jumping off the couch at home!

Could not find Duval's final approach at Bob Hope Classic to set up an eagle and both win the tournament and shoot 59

• Advertisement

The was a class piece of The Open British Open.

I often landed in Prestwick thinking what a useless place.

I'll be staying next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Right enough of that.

I was there when he done that. Incredible shot. Especially when you consider there was a gale force wind off the left with OB right and Greg Norman who hit his shot before him put it out of bounds!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I was there when he done that. Incredible shot. Especially when you consider there was a gale force wind off the left with OB right and Greg Norman who hit his shot before him put it out of bounds!!!

I remember it scared the hell out of me, nearly shouting "what are you f%^&ing doing Pod, you have a two shot lead!!!"

If he hadn't pulled it off and followed Greg, it would have been considered up with the worst decisions of all time in golf. Thank God he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Bernhard Langer climbing a tree to play a shot in 2981 I remember watching this live. He hit the ball to around 10 feet, but unfortunately missed the putt. http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/german-golfer-bernhard-langer-climbing-an-ash-tree-adjacent-news-photo/159136758

Duel in the Sun.

What most people remember is the remarkable 18th. Watsons majestic 7iron and Nicklaus' determination to fight to the bitter end.
    What's just as interesting is that Nicklaus was 2 up with 6 to play and by the time he missed a 4 footer on the 17th he was 1 behind. Watson had a reputation early in his career of not being able to close out the tight ones. Having won the Open in a playoff in 75 and already beating Jack in the Masters earlier that year, the 77 Open confirmed his position as the best player in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MJBett

Not the best quality - but THIS is a classic! Tiger Wood's hole-in-one at Phoenix Open, back in 1997.

bestgolfvideo.com/videos/tiger-woods-hole-in-one-16th-hole-at-phoenix-open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭irish_man

Right enough of that.

Can't believe this wasn't in the first post!! My all time favourite player and my all time favourite shot. His current play is killing me slowly. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Love them ones from Phil.

One of the best ballsy shot I ever seen - seen it live (on tv) too.

He is a legend.

Love them ones from Phil.

One of the best ballsy shot I ever seen - seen it live (on tv) too.

He is a legend.

It's funny but at the time I never thought that was a ballsy shot by Phil. To me ballsy needs to be where you are out of your comfort zone hitting the shot with the full knowledge that a mistake will cost you. But when I watched this I just though its just Phil being Phil.
    On reflection, I think that I just was not giving him the credit he deserved. Extraordinary shot under the utmost pressure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement