Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stackstown golf club

• 19-11-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking at finally joining a club in close proximity to where I live south dublin and having looked around stackstown fits the two main criteria of price and location. A few better options around but price just a bit high and I refuse to pay a joining fee...

Based on that any feedback on stackstown? I know its hilly as I have played it a few times but whats the timesheet like, social aspect etc all feedback appreciated..

Regards
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

kevgaa wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at finally joining a club in close proximity to where I live south dublin and having looked around stackstown fits the two main criteria of price and location. A few better options around but price just a bit high and I refuse to pay a joining fee...

Based on that any feedback on stackstown? I know its hilly as I have played it a few times but whats the timesheet like, social aspect etc all feedback appreciated..

Regards
    Kevin

Hey, I joined Stackstown based on the same criteria, and the fact there is a wee gym there too, So far I have found it very enjoyable, I use the facilities on average 4-5 times a week, There is a nice chipping green, small but functional practice area, two full size snooker tables and some very decent food. The course is fine, it really shines during the summer, when the greens roll well and can catch you out very quickly, Some nice enjoyable short par fours with a couple of decent par 5's, I personally find all the 5 par 3's challanging in different way. It seems to me they protect it quiet well during the winter with winter green and requiring us to use portable mats to hit of. I always felt, even before I joined that it got a bad rep for being really hilly, granted there are a couple of climbs, its not the worst I have played. In saying that I don't believe any one could argue that the 18 is a good hole, personally I think it is one of the worst closer's i have played and I don't think if I stay here till knock my last out of bounds will I ever think differently.
    On the social scene there is always plenty going on and I recieve 2 or more email a week keeping me up to speed with the goings on, from Race Nights to themed Evening Meals i.e. Italian Night etc.

You want to come up some day as my Guest, I'll show you around and show ya some real bad golf, drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

Also looking at joining Stackstown ATM. Can you tell me what the timesheet is like ? e.g. is it easy to get out on Sat morning?

Damien_d12 wrote: »
    Also looking at joining Stackstown ATM. Can you tell me what the timesheet is like ? e.g. is it easy to get out on Sat morning?

Hey Damiend12, The time sheets are busy, there seems to be quite an active playing membership, i have not played in a Sat comp, as I work most Saturdays, so I can't give you any personal knowledge. if you'd like to come up and have a look around in the new year, I'd be only to happy to show you around.

Neck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bigd23

Been playing many courses around the area.
    Recently joined Stackstown seemed like the better option. The greens are lightening quick during the summer but use of mats on fairways during the winter is a bit of a downer.
    New people running the kitchen, food seems better quality and a bit cheaper.
    The people running the pro shop are friendly and course staff are pleasant.
    The hills definitely keep you fit but the course is mediocre in difficulty overall.
    The small gym is a winner and I use it 1/2 times a week.
    It's got my recommendation anyway.
    Good luck with your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Thanks bigd23.

I decided to take a leap and join myself. Next task is to get a handicap, I may annoy you at some stage to mark a card for me if your willing to put up with some bad golf 😀

I must pop up and check out the new gym!

Regards
    Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bigd23

Hi Kevin,

Don't think you'd be any worse than me. May see you out some time.
    Happy golfing,

Derek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Hope you enjoy it there, the members are friendly and the staff in the Pro shop are excellent (dont know about the new caterers). I left last year, mainly due to the price going up to about €1450 and the fact that I was not playing it enough. The course closes a lot in the winter and the mats are not my idea of golf. In the summer you will have great fun with the roll on the hills, it will make or break your putting :rolleyes:.

Have fun and use all the facilities is my advice.

kevgaa wrote:
    I decided to take a leap and join myself. Next task is to get a handicap, I may annoy you at some stage to mark a card for me if your willing to put up with some bad golf 😀

I joined last year, live only 15 min from the club....I use the gym 3/4 times a week. ....when the weather was good I do a bit of Chipping .most mornings, and I play snooker once a week.....personally I'm really enjoying it. Its not thr best course in the world but its well kept and its very tricky come summertime. The mats and the odd closed day are a nuisance but I tend not to play too much over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

What about the bragging rights?

It's nice to say your club bred a triple major winner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Sorry to resurrect this...

Also looking at joining as an absolute beginner and no no one in the club. What's it like socially...ie will I be able to het out at weekends and join groups or will that be unwelcome?

Busy at weekends, particularly Sunday mornings?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ryder wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this...

Also looking at joining as an absolute beginner and no no one in the club. What's it like socially...ie will I be able to het out at weekends and join groups or will that be unwelcome?

Busy at weekends, particularly Sunday mornings?

Thanks
    They have an open on most Sundays that I have had an eye on for a while. The timesheet always seems to have a good bit of free spots on it any time I look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

gypsy79 wrote: »
    They have an open on most Sundays that I have had an eye on for a while. The timesheet always seems to have a good bit of free spots on it any time I look

Was up there recently for one of their opens and found it a very friendly club. The course itself was in great condition.

The clubhouse suffered a bit of a fire recently and some of it is undergoing renovation.

Not that it matters (much ;)) but you also get to be part of a club that has 'bred' a two-time Major winner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thanks. Is not knowing anyone much of a drawback starting off there?

Sorry for the questions but have friends convincing me to join somewhere further out and don't want to join a club and find myself alone or not getting on time sheets etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Jawgap wrote: »
    a club that has 'bred' a two-time Major winner!!

Tut tut !! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Russman wrote: »
    Tut tut !! :D:D

oh yeah.....the PGA ;)

Advertisement