Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best site/shop to buy a Garmin

Options
  • 04-11-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all as the title says im looking for sone direction on where to buy a Garmin for the the OH for Christmas? Iv Googled it but its a minefield of info so hoping someone can narrow it down. Im just looking at cheap n cheerful so thinking Garmin forerunner 10 or 15 (€150 ish)
    Any websites or il be heading into Dublin City center Christmas shopping next week so even suggestions as to a shop or 2 there that are worth looking in (Talbot st or Henry street)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Great site for price comparisons for each model

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/product/sports-gps/garmin/garmin-forerunner-15/

PS wrong forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

Viperlogic thanks and Mods feel free to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I have used fitnessdigital.ie a couple of times. Good quick service. There are based in Spain and offer free next day delivery (DHL) and seem to offer the best prices I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Amazon is the cheapest usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.handtec.co.uk/ probably or clevertraining(get a discount code on dc rainmaker site)
    Or wait for the 20 days of xmass/advent calandar thing which garmin do every year for the first 3 weeks of dec and get one of the 33% off that occurs about 3 times. So just need to know what you want and check it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Rom - Or wait for the 20 days of xmass/advent calandar thing which garmin do every year for the first 3 weeks of dec and get one of the 33% off that occurs about 3 times. So just need to know what you want and check it every day. -

Where do you look for this xmas discount - is it the Garmin site itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Last year was garminchristmas.co.uk I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Garmin can equal issues with certain devices, for the sake of saving a few euros I would advise a local shop that offers good customer service.
    I've had a few no quibble swaps, rather than waiting or dealing with online returns and I'm a 90%+ online shopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Garmin can equal issues with certain devices, for the sake of saving a few euros I would advise a local shop that offers good customer service.
    I've had a few no quibble swaps, rather than waiting or dealing with online returns and I'm a 90%+ online shopper.

When you buy the device then you need to ask the shop is this how they do business. I know a local shop does not do this. They ship everything back weekly to garmin to fix during this time the customer is without watch. In this case there is zero benefit in buying from a shop because you can do the same with a garmin RMA number (which you will get by calling garmin) only that you have to pay 5 euro for shipping but it usually means that you get the watch back much quicker as it was posted and returned from you and your not waiting on the shop to batch process. There are some shops that do offer you a swap on the spot and will return the device and simply use it to restock but you want to ask first. I am all for supporting Irish shops but when they offer zero help then I buy online.

The store in Cork is the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

rom wrote: »
    When you buy the device then you need to ask the shop is this how they do business. I know a local shop does not do this. They ship everything back weekly to garmin to fix during this time the customer is without watch. In this case there is zero benefit in buying from a shop because you can do the same with a garmin RMA number (which you will get by calling garmin) only that you have to pay 5 euro for shipping but it usually means that you get the watch back much quicker as it was posted and returned from you and your not waiting on the shop to batch process. There are some shops that do offer you a swap on the spot and will return the device and simply use it to restock but you want to ask first. I am all for supporting Irish shops but when they offer zero help then I buy online.

The store in Cork is the Edge.

See highlighted
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

http://www.handtec.co.uk/ probably or clevertraining(get a discount code on dc rainmaker site)
    Or wait for the 20 days of xmass/advent calandar thing which garmin do every year for the first 3 weeks of dec and get one of the 33% off that occurs about 3 times. So just need to know what you want and check it every day.

I'd not be expecting that to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

When you buy the device then you need to ask the shop is this how they do business. I know a local shop does not do this. They ship everything back weekly to garmin to fix during this time the customer is without watch.

This doesn't make sense (not at you ROM)

The Irish distributor are very specific in their returns policy.

"I believe that Garmin UK will handle the warranty for products bought worldwide but the return of the product to Garmin will be at the end users own cost and is not subject to the same returns procedure of a like for like replacement within the 1 year warranty period that is offered by <Irish Distributor>

The normal Garmin procedure is a repair for a product older than 28days and under 1 year."

Buying from an Irish shop that buys from the distributor will get you an over the counter no quibble replacement for any warranty issue within 1 year from purchase.

Buying from an Irish shop that buys from other distributor channels will be subject to the terms dictated by Garmin, ie return to Garmin for repair only after 28 days and no replacement unit.

Worth checking this with your store first.

Advertisement