Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your best class ever

• 16-08-2014 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

As the summer draws to a close and I reflect on what is to come ... I always like to start off with a pep talk and a good motivational class so I had a good look and found this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpe-LKn-4gM ...I did have a session with the Steve Jobs clip that got my students motivated (I am adult ed)...now I am thinking of showing the above clip as part of a class. Can I have some feedback as to your thoughts to get things off to a good start. I always think students remember their first class and it deserves careful consideration.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Will a 17 minute clip hold their attention I know it wouldn't hold mine to be honest or do you just intent on showing bits of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

yep i was thinking 17 mins might be a bit long so I will probably do a live edit but do you think it will fire the imagination of adult students?

I think it depends on the students, some people absolutly love the TED talks, others have no interest.
    When you say adult ed it all depends are you talking PLC course or night classes, are they older adults or just school leavers, etc. Personally I think this would have a big say on the relevance of the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

Luckily I have a few different class groups (PLC) but I was thinking this might suit the 22-60 group I have something else in mind for the younger group.

Yea I think it could be useful for that age group, but again their background is important have a think about that, are they long term unemployed, what level of training/education have they, to me that would give an idea as to its suitability. I'm not trying to offend anyone by saying that but each individual case is important to consider whether they will have an interest in it or not. But definitely wouldn't show the entire thing its too long - if possible to edit it to 5-7 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If it's the clip where he goes on about taking the calligraphy class etc, ya it's interesting but a shorter version would do.

All students are different, some will get it and some won't care. Talking about where last years students are now might be just as beneficial as that is closer to where your PLC students are and could be this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I think Steve Jobs halo is somewhat undeserved , he was quite the bully by many accounts .Not a 'nice guy', of course being a nice guy isnt as important as being rich and succesful nowadays apparently .

Advertisement